Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put on my robe and wizard hat...

MAGIC TRICK COSTS TEACHER HIS JOB

Land 'O Lakes, Florida -- The stories in the news about inappropriate relationships between teachers and students have been overwhelming. There was even a substitute teacher in New Port Richey who got in trouble after investigators say she had a relationship with an underage student.

Well, another Pasco County substitute teacher's job is on the line, but this time it's because of a magic trick.

The charge from the school district — Wizardry!

Substitute teacher Jim Piculas does a 30-second magic trick where a toothpick disappears then reappears.

But after performing it in front of a classroom at Rushe Middle School in Land 'O Lakes, Piculas said his job did a disappearing act of its own.

"I get a call the middle of the day from the supervisor of substitute teachers. He says, 'Jim, we have a huge issue. You can't take any more assignments. You need to come in right away,'" he said.

When Piculas went in, he learned his little magic trick cast a spell that went much farther than he'd hoped.

"I said, 'Well Pat, can you explain this to me?' 'You've been accused of wizardry,' [he said]. Wizardry?" he asked.

Tampa Bay's 10 talked to the assistant superintendent with the Pasco County School District who said it wasn't just the wizardry and that Picular had other performance issues, including "not following lesson plans" and allowing students to play on unapproved computers.

Piculas said he knew nothing about the accusations.

"That... I think was embellished after the fact to try to cover what initially what they were saying to me," he said.

After the magic trick, Rushe's principal requested Piculas be dismissed. Now, Piculas believes the incident may have bewitched his ability to get a job anywhere else.

"I still have no idea what my discipline involves because I've never received anything from the school district actually saying what it entails," said Piculas.

As a substitute teacher, the Pasco County School District considers Piculas to be an "at will employee." That means the district doesn't need to have cause for not bringing him back at all.
    I wanted to live in Florida at one time.

Good for the school district.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

If he's a wizard, can't he just cast a spell and make everybody forget, so that he can keep his job?

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
        Yeah...we can't have substitute teachers poisoning our childrens' minds with satanic toothpick magic tricks!!!
        . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
        -mike
        mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Do you burn Harry Potter books?

Comment

Just teach the kids the basics needed to make a living. Knockoff all references to religion or occult practices in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
              Do you burn Harry Potter books?
              No.

Comment

PA-THE-TIC.

Is there any time you won't just fall in lockstep with organizational discipline?
                From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Here is more on the story.

I found this part interesting:

The trick requires a toothpick and transparent tape. A sleight-of-hand maneuver causes the toothpick to disappear then reappear. At least, so it seems. In reality, the toothpick hides behind the performer's thumb, held in place by the tape.

"The whole thing lasted 45 seconds," Piculas said.

He said the students liked the trick. He showed them how to do it so they could perform it at home. One student in the Rushe Middle class apparently took the trick the wrong way, Piculas said. He said he was told the student became so traumatized that the student's father complained.

Comment

Just teach the kids the basics needed to make a living. Knockoff all references to religion or occult practices in the classroom.
                    What religion worships the disappearing toothpick?
                    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                      Here is more on the story.

I found this part interesting:
                      Quote:
                      The trick requires a toothpick and transparent tape. A sleight-of-hand maneuver causes the toothpick to disappear then reappear. At least, so it seems. In reality, the toothpick hides behind the performer's thumb, held in place by the tape.

"The whole thing lasted 45 seconds," Piculas said.

He said the students liked the trick. He showed them how to do it so they could perform it at home.
                      One student in the Rushe Middle class apparently took the trick the wrong way, Piculas said. He said he was told the student became so traumatized
                      that the student's father complained.

I'm sorry, if a magic trick 'traumatizes' a student, then that kid has much bigger issues. I'd keep a close eye on that one. Quite frankly, he should be entered in the system right now and not allowed to buy any type of firearm ever.
                      Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                        I don't know, but I think they're at odds with those who worship the toothpick dispenser.
                        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

The occult?

I heard they fired all the science teachers in Missouri because they mixed chemicals which caused bubbles and smoke.

SORCERY!

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                            The cult of cocktail weenies.

Comment

so a magic trick is "occult practices"? got it

Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                              X