Buying a new Driver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new Driver...

Since I'm finally getting back into golf, I'm in desperate need for a new driver. My current one is the John Daly Killer Whale which I got a least 10 years ago(my god it really has been that long) and it's got nothing left in the tank. I don't want to spend anymore than maybe $250 - $300 on a new one. Was over at Golf Galaxy the other day and saw this one for $199.99:

http://www.greenskeeper.org/productr...er_460_driver/

Anyone have one of these or used one? Every review site I've been to gives it pretty good marks. Golf Galaxy has a video driving range you can use to test clubs so I'll prob try this one out sometime soon. Anyone here just buy a new driver they can recommend in that price range?
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Can't go wrong with any of the Taylor Made Drivers. Do you fight a slice, though? This one is specifically designed to draw the ball, so if you aren't a slicer, I wouldn't purchase something like this.
      *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

http://www.dealadaygolf.com/

They usually have decent driviers once every couple of days. I saw the high end Taylor made Driver with the movable weights for $100 less than retail.

** Official Lounge sponsor of Fulham and Detroit Lions**

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
          Can't go wrong with any of the Taylor Made Drivers. Do you fight a slice, though? This one is specifically designed to draw the ball, so if you aren't a slicer, I wouldn't purchase something like this.
          Back when I played regularly, I could control my driver pretty well but I def have a natural slice and have never had much of a draw unless I really duck hooked a ball.

I basically only came across this one because of the price but I didn't have time to hit it in the store but saw all the good reviews on it too. I've only been to the range twice since starting up again(after maybe playing once in about 3 years) over at Tower Tee. I'm pretty impressed I'm even getting balls in the air at this point.
          Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Don't you need a license before you can drive?
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
              Don't you need a license before you can drive?
              Cory Haim didn't.

Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                Cory Haim didn't.

Holy shit. I used to love that movie.
                Photobucket

Comment

I bought the Superquad last summer.

I recommend going to Golf Galaxy and hitting some drivers. Figure out what you like and look there or eBay for used clubs or buy somethng that is a year old.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                    I bought the Superquad last summer.

I recommend going to Golf Galaxy and hitting some drivers. Figure out what you like and look there or eBay for used clubs or buy somethng that is a year old.
                    Def gonna hit some first. Will have to try out the Superquad as well.

I really forgot how much I loved golf back in high school until I went the range the last couple weeks and went to Golf Galaxy the other day. I really want some oldschool PING Irons(do they even make those anymore?) but my irons aren't in terrible shape at this point.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

The Ping Eye 2 irons are still some of the best ever made.

I play the Titleist 962s, which I have had for a long time. I have no ambition to get anything else.

My bag:

Superquad Driver 8.5 degree
                      Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood
                      Titleist 962 2-P
                      Cleveland 56 degree SW
                      Cleveland 60 W
                      Ping Anser Putter

I will be purchasing a 64 degree wedge and a hybrid this year.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

The Ping Eye 2's are exactly what I was talking about(didn't remember the name). Buddy of mine had some in high school and let me play 9 holes with them. LOVED them. Just had a great feel to them. Wish I would have bought some when I had the chance. Checked the Ping website and confirmed that they aren't sold anymore except for replacements. I'm a little leery about getting some off ebay or used ones.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

From my experience, used golf clubs are fine.

Some pros still play the Ping Eye 2.

Looks like you could find a set on eBay.

If you go that route, run up to a golf shop and ask them what color dot you need (based on your size).

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                            From my experience, used golf clubs are fine.

Some pros still play the Ping Eye 2.

Looks like you could find a set on eBay.

If you go that route, run up to a golf shop and ask them what color dot you need (based on your size).

I think it's more the hastle than anything incase I get them and they aren't as advertised, having to get money back, etc... And I can't imagine I could find a good set in any store that might sell used clubs.

Thanks for the reminder about the dots. I forgot all about that.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                              Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                              Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                              "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

Working...
                              X