• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers add station affiliate in Sikeston, MO

Because of one Blake Dewitt...

DeWitt continues to impress
    05/07/2008 3:45 AM ET
    By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers radio network just added an affiliate this week in Sikeston, Mo., because the folks back in his hometown don't want to miss another Blake DeWitt home run.

The rookie third baseman hit his second in as many nights, a rare inside-the-park variety, along with a two-run single, and the four RBIs lifted the Dodgers to a 5-4 comeback win over the Mets. It was the first inside-the-park homer by a Dodger since Dave Roberts legged one out against the Cubs in 2003.

"I wouldn't have thought I'd be the next one,' said DeWitt. "My last one was when I was 5 years old in tee-ball. Never had one in pro ball."

He does now. This one just eluded the outstretched glove of Mets right fielder Ryan Church, hit the padding at the top of the fence and bounced back onto the field as Church bounced off the fence onto the warning track. DeWitt was waved home by third-base coach Larry Bowa, who began the celebration before DeWitt slid into the plate.

The homer followed Russell Martin's two-out single in the fifth inning and turned a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 lead that held up for the Dodgers' 10th win in their last 11 games.

DeWitt, however, said the bases-loaded, two-run, two-out single he hit in the third inning meant more, because it cut a 4-1 deficit to 4-3 and tightened a game that was threatening to get out of hand.

"Definitely, that one felt better, because it got us to down one," said DeWitt. "It was bigger."

DeWitt is hitting .478 in his last eight games, raising his average from .254 to .317. He has 11 RBIs in his last seven games and 13 in the last 10. His first career homer came Monday night.

And with every contribution, DeWitt adds to the intrigue about what will happen when starting third baseman Nomar Garciaparra returns from the disabled list, which is more likely weeks than days away. On Monday, manager Joe Torre indicated Garciaparra would get his job back when he's healthy. On Tuesday, Torre wasn't as convincing.

"I don't have to make that decision now," Torre said. "He's not back. When the time comes, we'll have to make a decision. Nomar played pretty well when he got healthy [after breaking his hand in Spring Training]. I'm not discounting that."

DeWitt's offense and the pitching of Hong-Chih Kuo helped the Dodgers overcome the pregame scratch of shortstop Rafael Furcal and the shortest start of the season by Kuroda, who allowed eight hits and three walks in 3 1/3 innings.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Is he related to Bill?

BTW, he's making it an easy decision for Torre.

No-Mah must go.

Comment

Working...
    X