Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, Good Lord

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh, Good Lord

    I haven't seen this mentioned here... What a freaking baby...

    Union expresses concern over lack of offers to Barry Bonds

    By RONALD BLUM – 13 hours ago
    NEW YORK (AP) — The players' association has expressed concern to the baseball commissioner's office over the lack of offers to Barry Bonds, asking for additional information about the offseason's free-agent market.
    The union did not go as far as to file a grievance on behalf of the 43-year-old outfielder, who remains unsigned and hasn't received any offers since the San Francisco Giants decided not to re-sign him last year and he became a free agent.
    "We've raised both general concerns and some player specific concerns," Michael Weiner, the union's general counsel, said Tuesday.
    Weiner said the only player the union specifically brought up in its discussions with the commissioner's office was Bonds, who repeatedly has said he wants to play a 23rd major league season.
    "The union notified us that it was investigating potential collusion regarding Barry Bonds and asked for information, and we told them that there was absolutely no collusion with respect to Barry Bonds or any other free agent," said Dan Halem, MLB senior vice president and general labor counsel. "We are aware of no facts which would support a collusion claim regarding Bonds or any other free agents."
    The union's concern over Bonds was first reported by ESPN.com.
    A seven-time NL MVP, Bonds broke the career home run record last year, then was indicted in November on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice relating to 2003 grand jury testimony in which he said he never knowingly used illegal performance-enhancing drugs. A trial is unlikely to start before 2009.
    "Every year we look internally into whether the free-agent market operated according to the Basic Agreement. Not every year do we raise concerns," Weiner said. "We have raised concerns with the commissioner's office, but it's still in the investigative phase."
    Weiner said there was no timetable for what happens next.
    "We have made requests for information. I expect at some point we would sit down with the commissioner's office and make a determination whether to proceed with any grievances," he said.
    Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

    And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

    Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

  • #2
    Give me Larry Walker over Bonds.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

    Comment


    • #3
      Barry, I think I speak for all baseball fans (except Yaks) when I say the following:

      Go the fuck away.
      Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's ironic that the Union would be helping a player who is not a member of that union.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's just a procedural thing, doesn't matter that it's bonds. If MLB is colluding against free agents then they should be called out and slapped around for it.

          Probably ain't though.
          Damn these electric sex pants!

          26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

          Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah...Must be collusion.. There should be a lot of teams interested in an over-the-hill 43 year old who can do nothing but DH. And pay him a shit-ton of money...

            I can't roll my eyes hard enough to show my disgust. They might get stuck up in my head.
            Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

            And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

            Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

            Comment


            • #7
              We touched on this in the baseball thread, I think if the Yankees or Boston have not even tried (and I don't know that to be true) it looks suspicious.
              The guy hit like 28hr, 75 runs and 66 rbi in 130 or so games, over 130 walks. In a lineup with someone to protect him you know those numbers would be even better.
              If anyone thinks it's not possible that they are doing it on purpose, well...
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                Yeah...Must be collusion.. There should be a lot of teams interested in an over-the-hill 43 year old who can do nothing but DH. And pay him a shit-ton of money...
                Yeah, speaking of sarcasm, no way in hell any baseball owner would be irrational enough to go there.

                It's not like they can just pass off costs onto the fans.

                Rather it's quite absurd to think that a wink-wink agreement among owners is what it would take to prevent such a thing.

                Damn these electric sex pants!

                26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

                Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Possible, maybe. Proveable? I doubt it.
                  Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

                  And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

                  Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                    We touched on this in the baseball thread, I think if the Yankees or Boston have not even tried (and I don't know that to be true) it looks suspicious.
                    The guy hit like 28hr, 75 runs and 66 rbi in 130 or so games, over 130 walks. In a lineup with someone to protect him you know those numbers would be even better.
                    If anyone thinks it's not possible that they are doing it on purpose, well...
                    So the Yanks and Red Sox have both decided that even though it might help them win, they will not offer Barry Bonds a job because there is an agreement not to???? Please, they both would sign Satan as a middle reliever (at the right price) if they thought it would win them another game or 2.

                    He is old, wants a lot of money (if he'd take a million dollars, he'd be on a team now) and will bring nothing but trouble in the locker room and with the media/fans. I can't imagine why 15-20 teams are not signing up for that .
                    Sketch in STL
                    Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

                    I'M WITH HILLARY!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                      Possible, maybe. Proveable? I doubt it.
                      I agree there, proving it would be stupid hard.
                      I'd like to know if there have been any offers at all, that is the sort of thing that would tell us, if there have been none.. that would you to believe something, if he has just been turning them down because they aren't for insane money he would have little case.
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think the other teams reply of we don't have a helmet big enough for Barry's gigantic head should suffice.
                        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

                        Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

                        2017 BOTB bracket

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sketch View Post
                          So the Yanks and Red Sox have both decided that even though it might help them win, they will not offer Barry Bonds a job because there is an agreement not to???? Please, they both would sign Satan as a middle reliever (at the right price) if they thought it would win them another game or 2.

                          He is old, wants a lot of money (if he'd take a million dollars, he'd be on a team now) and will bring nothing but trouble in the locker room and with the media/fans. I can't imagine why 15-20 teams are not signing up for that .
                          But that's just it, his numbers last year were good, not bad, and at DH you would think better, and in one of those lineups even great.
                          And the fact that we all agree they would sign the devil to win, how come no offer to Barry?

                          Again we don't know if they did or not, or if he is asking for money that is unrealistic.

                          But again, if you don't think this might be going on..
                          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                            I agree there, proving it would be stupid hard.
                            I'd like to know if there have been any offers at all, that is the sort of thing that would tell us, if there have been none.. that would you to believe something, if he has just been turning them down because they aren't for insane money he would have little case.
                            The Giants negotiated with Bonds for his return.

                            He declined.

                            They all individually decided that the baggage that he would bring to the team does not merit the return they would recieve on their investment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                              And the fact that we all agree they would sign the devil to win, how come no offer to Barry?
                              We all don't agree.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X