X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues info

This guy does have connections and inside information

Greetings and salutations!

It has been quite a long time since I last typed at you fine folks. I have been extremely busy with National Football League and Major League Baseball stuff the past eight months it has made my head spin. Since then, I have moved to the Phoenix-Scottsdale area, helping the National Football League with planning for Super Bowl XLII and the Cardinals stadium construction. Another reason I had to move: the wildfires in southern California prompted me to get the heck out of there, thanks to some help from a new assignment, of course!

Before I head back home from the great District of Columbia (where I will be frequently making trips for client purposes), here is what I got so far in the small amount of downtime I have had in the past month or so and a nice lunch meeting with a Capitals friend of mine.

I apologize for the quick posting.

♫ At the moment, there is one player that really interests Larry Pleau: Brian Leetch. Pleau has a history with him from his Rangers and Team USA days in the 2002 Olympics. The idea would be for Leetch to be MacInnis' replacement over the next four or five years if the league is not shut down for too long, since it is a dead-lock cinch at this point MacInnis will not be returning.

♫ But Pleau has not decided what to do yet, so it still remains to be seen if he is going to go after Leetch, Kovalev, Gonchar, or anyone else of value. If the Blues are anywhere close to a playoff spot, they will not sell. One Eastern Conference source says, "do not expect the Blues to do anything significant at the deadline."

♫ If Pleau is serious about Leetch, he will have to get in line at the bargaining table with Glen Sather. The Flyers, Devils, Red Wings, Avalanche, Bruins, Maple Leafs, and Stars are all among those I have been told are interested, and Sather is looking for a big return if he is parting with the long-time Rangers star player. If there is a bidding war, the Blues almost certainly would be out. Sather knows his job probably is on the line this deadline, and thusly needs to replenish the organization in a big way.

♫ Interest in Keith Tkachuk is pretty minimal right now because of his salary and the perception of big game choking, but there are a couple teams who might be interested in Doug Weight, namely Toronto and Boston. I have heard another team or two could get into the mix as well, if the Blues decide to part with him. It remains to be seen if these are teams Weight would waive his no-trade clause for should it reach that point. Philadelphia and Detroit were thought to be possibilities, but that is no longer the case with their pickups of Alexei Zhamnov and Robert Lang, respectively.

♫ Vancouver remains a possibility for Eric Weinrich, if the Blues decide to sell. Remember, he agreed to waive his no-trade clause from Philadelphia for the Blues and Canucks.

♫ A prominent Northwest Division source: "If Pleau wants to make a run at the Cup, he can do it by getting Kolzig, Kovalev, and either Leetch or Gonchar. Then they would be scary. Right now, they don't have the goaltending or offensive depth to be a factor in the playoffs if they make it." When I asked what it would take to get those guys, I was told that Kolzig would come cheap because Washington wants out of his contract. Gonchar will be more difficult because there is expected to be a bidding war for his services, and Leetch and Kovalev could require quite a bit because Sather needs to "hit a home run" this deadline for the future. Without saying it, the source implied that it would take Christian Backman and then some, although Sather could ask for Shawn Belle, whom the Blues will not trade.

♫ There are a lot of executives around the league surprised that Joel Quenneville took the hit and Larry Pleau did not. Pleau was once highly regarded around the league, but that does not appear to be the case anymore. Most seem to blame him for the Blues situation this year, citing an inability to come up with young scorers, failure to solidify the goalie position, and marginal third and fourth lines. He also has rubbed a lot of general managers the wrong way, with arrogance, a failure to return calls, and dragging his feet on deals. My source in the Northwest Division says that the general manager he works for refuses to ever deal with Pleau again. As for Quenneville, he will be at the top of list of every team that is looking for a coach this summer. If he is looking for the most money, the Rangers will pay it.

♫ The Senators are interested in Dallas Drake or Scott Mellanby, as they would like to add a bit more grit up front for the drive to Lord Stanley.

Now, for the non-Blues stuff:

♫ As for the Avalanche, they have made a series of minor moves to land Bob Boughner, Darby Hendrickson and Kurt Sauer, plus Steve Konowalchuk early in the year. There has been a lot of speculation that this year, Pierre Lacroix will not make a "big splash" at the deadline, but no one seems to believe it. Sources in Detroit, Dallas, San Jose, Vancouver, Philadelphia, and Toronto are all expecting Lacroix to make a landscape-altering deal again (Leetch? Kovalev?). I have been told they will go with Aebischer in goal for the playoffs, but they could look to someone like Mike Dunham to be his backup.

♫ There had been much speculation that the Red Wings would be after Kovalev and maybe Leetch, but with the Lang pick up, that looks less likely. Leetch is a luxury item for them, because they have Lidstrom, Schneider, Chelios, Fischer, and Hatcher coming back soon, so they are very unlikely to give up much for him. They do not want to part with a good young player because they are anticipating this being the final run with this group, led by Yzerman. They likely would have offered a number one pick as a part of the Kovalev package, but that was traded away in the Lang deal.

♫ The Mighty Ducks insist there will be no firesale, but it would not be surprising if they unloaded a player or two. Prospal could be had, and the Lightning is considering making a run at him. San Jose might also be interested. There would be a lot of interest in Keith Carney, but I have been told he will not be traded unless they receive an offer that far exceeds Carney's worth.

♫ Gonchar looks to be the player who some team will end up be overpaying and a bidding war could ensue, especially if the price for Leetch is too steep. The Capitals want to unload him, so they likely will take the best offer, unlike the Rangers, who are still unsure. The Maple Leafs and Bruins are at the top of the list of suitors for Gonchar, but Dallas, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Montreal, Ottawa, Nashville, San Jose, the Islanders, and New Jersey could be involved as well. The Blues will dabble if they get back in the race. Washington and Toronto have been seriously talking, but the Leafs are very resistant to giving up Nik Antropov or Matt Stajan, whom the Capitals desire. The Capitals would love to unload Kolzig, and the Stars have interest in Brendan Witt. LA is interested in Jeff Halpern.

♫ The Rangers are the team everyone is keeping close tabs on, because they could conduct a firesale at a moment's notice. I am told the only veteran who definitely will not be traded is Jagr, who has played well for them. Leetch is still an unknown situation, because he is considered "Mr. Ranger,”: a lifelong Blueshirt, won the Cup and Conn Smythe in '94, and has a few Norris Trophies under his belt. Several teams would be interested, but not if Sather tries to rob them blind. As mentioned before, this is the "big name" that Pleau is most interested in. The Red Wings liked Bobby Holik, but the Lang deal probably takes them out of the mix. The Devils would love to get Holik back, but would the Rangers send him to their rivals?

♫ The status of Petr Nedved is a bit uncertain. Teams looking for a second wave scorer, like San Jose or Montreal, would probably be interested, but he is a good friend of Jagr's. Keeping Jagr happy is priority number one for Rangers, so it might be a tough move.

♫ Colorado is interested in Chris Simon and Mike Dunham, who Sather wants to dump.

♫ Finally, Sather is deciding whether or not to trade Mark Messier, so the old warrior can have one more run at the Cup before he retires. Messier has not been to the playoffs since 1997. I am told that Sather would have definitely traded him to Edmonton if the Oilers were in the race. Trading Messier again would be an emotionally difficult thing for Sather though (he did it in 1991 the first time). Several teams are keeping an eye on Kovalev, including Toronto who badly wanted him last year, San Jose, Montreal, LA, and the Blues.

Quick hits:

♫ Do not be surprised if the Predators make a "splash" for a "name" player.

♫ The Islanders want a top-four defenseman as Milbury likes collecting those.

♫ Pittsburgh would love to unload Dale Tarnstrom and Mike Eastwood. A team looking for power play help would be wise to check on Tarnstrom.

♫ Florida will move just about anyone other than Luongo, but are not actively shopping anyone.

See what happens when you are away for so long? I hope to be back a time or two before the deadline to give an update on where things stand.

Looking forward to golfing in the morning, that is for sure!
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Melrose mentioned the Leetch stuff last night. If they want him, they need to want a couple more players too. Just getting Leetch won't be anywhere close to enough to make a Cup run.

If they're getting just Leetch, just to make the playoffs and at the expense of whatever prospects and draft picks, it'll once again be an indication that preserving the streak is more important to them than building a champion.

Comment

Source for this guy BBZ?

Intertesting stuff.
      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 27 2004, 05:20 PM
        Melrose mentioned the Leetch stuff last night. If they want him, they need to want a couple more players too. Just getting Leetch won't be anywhere close to enough to make a Cup run.

If they're getting just Leetch, just to make the playoffs and at the expense of whatever prospects and draft picks, it'll once again be an indication that preserving the streak is more important to them than building a champion.
        Well, I am not sure it is the streak that motivtes them

It may be the added revenue from the playoffs.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

The playoffs would generate revenue and offset a few of the million they stand to lose, but becoming a seller and unloading some of their high-priced players will do the same thing as far as off-setting losses. Selling would help them in the long-run; buying would help them lose in the first round, unless they buy in bulk.

Comment

Interesting stuff....that dude has been gone for quite some time...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Feb 27 2004, 05:09 PM
              ♫ There are a lot of executives around the league surprised that Joel Quenneville took the hit and Larry Pleau did not. Pleau was once highly regarded around the league, but that does not appear to be the case anymore. Most seem to blame him for the Blues situation this year, citing an inability to come up with young scorers, failure to solidify the goalie position, and marginal third and fourth lines. He also has rubbed a lot of general managers the wrong way, with arrogance, a failure to return calls, and dragging his feet on deals. My source in the Northwest Division says that the general manager he works for refuses to ever deal with Pleau again. As for Quenneville, he will be at the top of list of every team that is looking for a coach this summer. If he is looking for the most money, the Rangers will pay it.

So he treats the other G.M.'s just like he does the Blues fans?

This doesn't really surprise anyone does it?
              "You're my wife Margene, you can't be seeing the girl I'm dating." - Big Love

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan@Feb 27 2004, 03:20 PM
                Source for this guy BBZ?

Intertesting stuff.
                I think he's some agent or something. He's nailed a LOT of stuff before it happened, far more stuff than Hadley's ever nailed!

Comment

Working...
                X