Hoops: MU 'family' stood by Grimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoops: MU 'family' stood by Grimes

It's good to see the young man concentrate on what's important for his future.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...C?OpenDocument

Hoops: MU 'family' stood by Grimes
    By Graham Watson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/06/2008

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Thoughts of the 2007-08 Missouri basketball season will always have a negative undertone. There was gun play, a fight at a Columbia nightclub, arrests, suspensions, a dismissal from the team and no postseason play. It was a season to forget.

Except maybe for Kalen Grimes.

For Grimes, it was a season of self-renewal and appreciation. In July 2007, Grimes was dismissed from the basketball team after being arrested and charged with second-degree assault. He was accused of hitting a man in the face with the butt end of a shotgun outside a restaurant in St. Louis.

Forced to be away from basketball for the first time since he was a child, Grimes had a productive year. In less than two weeks, he will graduate from Missouri with a degree in agriculture and a minor in science.

"It was a tough year," Grimes said. "I had a lot of regrets about the situation, but I was fortunate enough to keep my scholarship and finish school here at the University of Missouri. A lot of people wouldn't have even had that opportunity."

Initially, the prospect of allowing Grimes to keep his scholarship was one that hadn't crossed coach Mike Anderson's mind. But as Grimes and his mother, Glenda, sat in Anderson's office to receive the news that he was no longer with the team, Glenda pleaded for her son's ability to finish his education.

"It was a tough decision, but it was the right decision," said Anderson, who plans to watch Grimes graduate May 17. "And if we had to do it all over again, we'd do the same thing.

"At the end of the day you want to make sure these young men have a life, because there's a life after basketball. ... When I look at where I'm from and the things that have helped me in life, there's always been some event or some people that have had an influence."

Although Grimes couldn't practice with his former teammates, his dream of playing professional basketball never went away, and so he was allowed to use Missouri's facilities to train. He was encouraged to go to games and often stopped by Anderson's office for mentoring. Although Grimes was no longer a member of the team, he was never shut out of Anderson's "family."

The MU coaching staff also helped Grimes compile game film to send off to potential agents and scouts, and strength and conditioning coach David Deets drew Grimes a workout regimen to keep him in playing shape. Currently, Grimes is 6 feet 9 and 280 pounds, 10 pounds heavier than when he played at Mizzou.

"Me and coach Anderson have a really close relationship that a lot of people don't know about," Grimes said. "He was like a father away from home. (We) developed a real close relationship, and I think there was a basic understanding of why I couldn't play this year. But this whole year he's been a mentor to me, and I never lost touch with him. I was depressed about not being able to play. But then again I still had that family, home atmosphere around here."

Grimes signed with agent Michael Hart and entered his name into the NBA draft. Although Grimes, who averaged 6.9 points and 5.6 rebounds as a junior with the Tigers, doesn't expect to be selected, entering his name into the draft gives him an opportunity to be picked up by an NBA summer league team. Grimes will work out in St. Louis after graduation and then attend international exposure camps in Ohio and Las Vegas if he doesn't play summer league.

"I think it's possible he'll have a chance to get some NBA looks in terms of individual workouts or be on somebody's NBA summer league team, as well as he'll definitely have options overseas," said Hart, who represents 49 players, but none in the NBA. "My job is to put him in front of basketball people and put him out there where his talent can kind of take care of the rest. From a basketball standpoint, we don't know exactly where he'll be playing next year, but I think his future's bright, and I think he'll be playing professional basketball somewhere."

Grimes said he's not worried about his mistakes coming back to haunt him. His drive to finish school and make something out of his life should outweigh the mistakes he's made.

As for the assault charge, the case is scheduled for a settlement conference June 12.

"Everything happened so quickly, and my life changed overnight," Grimes said. "But I had everybody telling me that I can't look back. I had to look toward the positive. And it all started when Coach A told me I could keep my scholarship. I felt like the end of the tunnel was there."

[email protected] | 314-340-8038
    Make America Great For Once.

Good move by Anderson in letting him keep his scholly and finish school. It's hard not to root for Coach. He just seems like a grounded, good person. I hope he can right the ship and bring quality basketball back to Columbia, Mo. The kids he has coming in this fall appear to be a solid group of ballplayers. We shall see.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by F the Cubs View Post
      Good move by Anderson in letting him keep his scholly and finish school. It's hard not to root for Coach. He just seems like a grounded, good person. I hope he can right the ship and bring quality basketball back to Columbia, Mo. The kids he has coming in this fall appear to be a solid group of ballplayers. We shall see.
      I think most fans would settle for a solid group of citizens at this point. Baby steps.
      On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy View Post
        I think most fans would settle for a solid group of citizens at this point. Baby steps.
        I know you were semi making a crack, but if Mike doesn't win, Mike doesn't stay. It's that simple. He's got a couple of more years to get it going, but there's a lot of pressure on him to get Mizzou back in the Big Dance and playing at a consistently high level.
        --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
        --Suck it cubbies.
        --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

"Me and coach Anderson...."
          Grammar not in the Curriculum @ MU?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
            Grammar not in the Curriculum @ MU?

I believe it said "Agricuture" major...not journalism
            Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

I'm not so sure I like the idea that he got to keep his scholarship, but at least, he did something with it. Now, go live a productive life, and be sure to help someone else some day...much in the same way Anderson and MU helped you.
              Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

Working...
              X