Skip Schumaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Schumaker

It appears, Jeffro, that I might have been wrong.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Someone told me tonight that he has 4 game winning RBI's after tonight. Can that be right?
    Of course you do.

Comment

I couldn't have imagined Schu doing this well. I was goign to start an appreciation thread for him the other day but then I started working on something and forgot.
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
        I couldn't have imagined Schu doing this well. I was goign to start an appreciation thread for him the other day but then I started working on something and forgot.

I appreciate him waaayyyy more after tonight!
        Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Skipper (the other one) was smiling ear-to-ear tonight after that one...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Remember when he was like 0-20, and everyone was panicking?
            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

It's amazing to me that all five outfielders are producing at a relatively solid level (and I know Ankiel went through a bit of a slump). Even in a best-case scenario, none of us could have predicted that all five of them would be pretty solid through the first month.

Comment

Skip Schumaker - professional gentleman of leisure.

Comment

I too thought this guy sucked dog balls.

He's doesn't.

Comment

I thought he was nothing more than a 4th OFer.

Glad to see I was wrong, for now.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

I was mocked roundly for dropping Adam Dunn and picking up Schumaker as a FA in the 10 man league I'm in. So far there has been no comparison as far as all around offensive numbers. Of course I'm only basing this on a 2 week selection set. It will be interesting (for me especially) to see if he can consistantly maintain this throughout the season. I'll feel muich better when we can have a consistant number 9 and number 2 hitter on the redbirds.

BTW - Adam Dunn, was abruptly signed as a FA by my buddy who proceeded to trade him and Ankiel to some sucker for Jimmy Rollins and Roy Haliday.

Comment

That trade should ahve been veto'd. Not fair at all.

I thought schu was a PoS that was only going to be a good Memphis guy.
                        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                          I thought he was nothing more than a 4th OFer.

Glad to see I was wrong, for now.
                          Same here...guy's plugging away

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

PETER GAMMONS
                            WEBLOG

Schumaker credits McGwire's helpposted: Monday, May 5, 2008 | Print Entry
                            filed under: MLB

Skip Schumaker was never supposed to be an everyday player. In parts of seven minor league seasons, he hit seven homers and made the Cardinals in 2006 because he plays so hard, has an outstanding arm and can defend at all three outfield positions.

"He is one of those guys who gets overlooked," says Tony La Russa. "But if you closely examine his history, he's always been associated with winners. The more you watch him play, the more you see him do things that help his team win.'

Then came this season. Schumaker grabbed the Cardinals' leadoff spot out of spring training. He had three game-winning RBIs in a seven-game stretch at the end of April and beginning of May. In the last three seasons, his on-base percentage has risen from .254 to .358 to .375, his OPS from .513 to .816 to .822 (before Sunday's game).

And he credits Mark McGwire for a big part of his jump in the learning curve.

"Most people would never associate a hitter like me with a great slugger like Mark," says Schumaker. "But he is a tremendous teacher, as well as an incredibly generous person with his time and knowledge. There isn't enough I can say to thank him for what he did for me."

Schumaker this past winter went with Chris Duncan to work with McGwire for 7-10 days. Every winter, Chris and his brother, Shelley Duncan, have flown to California to work with McGwire.

"He loves teaching, he enjoys working with us, and he's so good to us it's unbelievable," says Duncan. Add Matt Holliday to that list of McGwire pupils, and Schumaker says, "There are many more young players I don't even know about."

While McGwire has been in exile from baseball since his appearance in front of Congress in 2006, he's been playing golf, travelling and, as one of his longtime friends says, "living in peace."

"Mark knows so much about hitting, and he is a very good teacher," says Schumaker. "He helped me with visualization, preparation, mechanics, studying video, adjustments with my swing. … He couldn't have been more helpful, or given me more time. It's really too bad he isn't in the game."

The Cardinals had hoped McGwire would come to spring training as a special instructor, but he backed out.

"All he'd have done is be answering questions about [Jose] Canseco and the past," says one of McGwire's close friends. "It really made little sense."

Canseco claimed he injected McGwire with steroids, a comical notion to anyone who was around the Athletics in the early '90s, since everyone knew that McGwire had no use for Canseco and his values.

"Mark McGwire isn't out to promote himself," says Chris Duncan. "But he will always give his time to young players who seek his help. How many people do that?"
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
                              That trade should ahve been veto'd. Not fair at all.

It wasn't a trade. He cut Dunn and picked up Schu. Pretty stupid move.

BTW, everyone needs to start remembering we're only 35 days into this thing. I like what I've seen from Schu, but he's got 125+ games left. But I do prefer him to Duncan and that's why I think Dunc has become expendable.
                              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Working...
                              X