Florida House OKs bill requiring teachers to challenge evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida House OKs bill requiring teachers to challenge evolution

After a long and uncommonly testy debate, the House voted Monday to have public school teachers include a "critical analysis" of evolution in science classes.
    Proponents said the bill is needed to protect teachers and students from academic reprisal for challenging Charles Darwin's theories. Opponents said it is a veiled attempt to get religion into the public schools.
    Gov. Charlie Crist ducked a question about whether he would sign the measure (SB 2692) if it reaches his desk.
    Sen. Ronda Storms, R-Valrico, the Senate sponsor of the plan, said it has no chance in its present form. She said she will ask the House to recede and send Crist the original Senate version.
    "What this bill does is tell the teacher, go ahead and teach the theory of evolution and make sure your students have a complete view of that theory and they know that it is only a theory, it is not gospel law," said Rep. Alan Hays, R-Umatilla. "There's no proof that any species has transitioned from one thing to another."
    The State Board of Education recently adopted science curriculum recognizing evolution for the first time, without requiring teaching of alternative theories. The Senate version of the "academic freedom" bill provided that school authorities could not punish teachers or students for raising doubts about evolution.
    Hays toughened the measure, requiring teachers to have classroom discussion of any "scientific" theories. Hays insisted that the bill has nothing to do with creationism or religion.
    Rep. Tony Sasso, D-Cocoa Beach, warned that requiring teachers to critically analyze Darwin's findings would inevitably evolve into a discussion of biblical teachings.
    "It's about finding holes in evolution and allowing teachers to be able to do that, which in my mind, tracking this, will lead to a discussion of creativity — which ultimately will lead to a discussion of religion," said Sasso. "We're opening the door to religious discussion by doing this."
    Hays responded swiftly and irritably.
    "I don't want to sound like a smart aleck but I would refer you to an English teacher to help you understand the meaning of the words, 'a thorough presentation and a scientific, critical analysis of the scientific theory of evolution.' It does not say one thing about religion," he said.
    Brandon Haught, a board member of Florida Citizens for Science in Eustis, noted that Hays had asked what opponents were "afraid of" in assuring teachers and students the right to challenge Darwinism.
    "We are afraid of the corruption of the very phrase 'critical analysis,' using it as a political sledgehammer, no different than wrapping oneself in an American flag and denouncing anyone opposed to your personal ideas as unpatriotic," said Haught.
    Damn Florida may now be the dumbest state in the nation.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Turd's presence here all this time wasn't enough to convince you?

Moon

Comment

Yaks is an expert in dumb.

Comment

just let them get dumb. I'm done caring what these people do with their agendas. Teach about the spaghetti monster, I don't really care. But my family better leave me alone and stop acting like I am the brainwashed sucker of the group.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
          just let them get dumb. I'm done caring what these people do with their agendas. Teach about the spaghetti monster, I don't really care. But my family better leave me alone and stop acting like I am the brainwashed sucker of the group.
          I hear ya, I just don't want them teaching non science to my kid, and now they want to challenge the established accepted science for .... for something that people have blind faith in, something with no basis in science.

Comment

Evolutionists should welcome critical analysis.
            Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
            Jesus is . . .

Comment

I have a great idea. We put up both Evolution and Creationism in a class and explore the science behind both, get scientifically critical with both.
              Wanna bet on how fast and hard that get opposed.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                I hear ya, I just don't want them teaching non science to my kid, and now they want to challenge the established accepted science for .... for something that people have blind faith in, something with no basis in science.
                they are trying to redefine what a theory is...as well as what science is. It'll be great til the kid gets to college and finds out he is eons behind most other students.

My sister said to me that creationists should be able to say how they feel about evolution. I told her they can say that to a therapist or a philosopher.

Comment

dang students. accept it as fact, never ask questions, and move on. the science room is no place for analysis and critical thinking.

Comment

Mrs. Krabappel: And who can tell me where thunder and lightning come from?
                    Yes, Bart?
                    Bart: The Leader, ma'am.
                    Mrs. Krabappel: Very good, Bart! And who invented Morse Code?
                    Bart: Oh, I should know this one... the.. the Leader?
                    Mrs. Krabappel: Ah, correct again!
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by dooz View Post
                      dang students. accept it as fact, never ask questions, and move on. the science room is no place for analysis and critical thinking.
                      Isn't that what religions demand of their followers?

Comment

Originally posted by drobny23 View Post
                        Evolutionists should welcome critical analysis.
                        You mean analysis like "God did it"?

Just kidding. I know what you mean but I dont agree at all with the premise that "intelligence design" is science.
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
                          Isn't that what religions demand of their followers?
                          I was going to say...instead of fossil and bone records creationists want to look to what?

critical thinking is good. teaching something in science class that isn't science is not critical thinking...it's a different class.

Comment

Like I said lets do it both ways. How do you think that will go over? Teachers challenging immaculate conception and other goodies in science class? The earths age? Living in a whale...

Comment

the science room is no place for analysis and critical thinking.
                              This might explain how you passed science class
                              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Working...
                              X