No announcement yet.

Krispy Kreme will soon serve ice cream!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krispy Kreme will soon serve ice cream!

Krispy Kreme adding ice cream to Fairview store

BY WILL BUSS
    News-Democrat

Krispy Kreme will no longer be a place for just doughnuts.

The company is adding ice cream to its menus, including the shop at 5812 N. Illinois St. in Fairview Heights.

St. Louis-based Hotlight Brands temporarily closed the metro-east store's doors Sunday to retool the restaurant with an ice cream counter and equipment to make and serve the company's Kool Kreme ice cream treats. The store is expected to reopen at 6 a.m. Saturday.

The business will serve all sorts of soft-serve ice cream treats, from cones, sundaes, banana splits, ice cream floats and concretes.

Hotlight Brands President Laura Schlegel said the idea came from another franchise that opened the first Kool Kreme ice cream shop in December inside its Krispy Kreme store in Tacoma, Wash. Schlegel said what the owners did in Tacoma intrigued the new owners in the St. Louis market.

"They've done well with it, and we asked if we could be the first to make the conversion here," Schlegel said.

The local franchise has already converted stores across the river in O'Fallon, Mo.; Fenton, Mo. and South St. Louis County. Others Hotlight locations that have followed include 12 in the Chicago area and two more in central Illinois. Schlegel said customers are buying into the ice cream.

"It's been very good," she said. "We're very happy with sales."

A few miles north of the Krispy Kreme store, Bobby Kozyak has been selling frozen custard from his Maryville stand for the past 19 years and also sells caramel apples. He said he isn't concerned about any competition, and he doesn't see how selling doughnuts and ice cream will help Krispy Kreme.

"I don't see how those two go together," Kozyak said. "They don't compliment each other, doughnuts and ice cream. I just try to visualize myself trying to sell doughnuts, and I think that would be odd. They evidently have done research and think it will work. Then more power to them. But to me, it looks like it wouldn't work."

In Belleville, Julie Chadwick opened West End Creamery a month ago at 8205 W. Main St. after having operated a branch of The White Cottage there. She doesn't see how Kool Kreme soft-serve ice cream would compete with her business.

"I don't imagine we would share a lot in common market because of physical distance between us, I guess," Chadwick said. "If they do the old-fashioned, hard ice cream, like we do, it would probably have an impact on us. If they're only serving soft-serve, I don't think it will impact our shop."

Schlegel said the new product line will add another dimension to the franchise's stores.

"We believe Kool Kreme will add to our seasonability with ice cream in the summertime," she said.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

It's warm and sunny.

I'm hungry.

And in the mood for ice cream.

I'll bet a doughnut covered in soft-serve would be pretty good.
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Ice cream filled donut.
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

will it be overpriced like their small donuts?
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Turd/cg - good to see that we are on the same page.

I'm hungry as hell.

Comment

This is a bad thing -

Why don't they just cut my veins during the drive thru and put lard directly in me.
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
              Well, cruise on down to the one by our houses, on K, and get you some...they've had that "cool kreme" sign up for a good week or so. I'm surprised you weren't 1st in line!!
              Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                Well, cruise on down to the one by our houses, on K, and get you some...they've had that "cool kreme" sign up for a good week or so. I'm surprised you weren't 1st in line!!
                Is that what the blue sign was? I noticed it when I was at Chipotle last week. I'm trying not to go into Krispy Kreme anymore because I love them so much. So far, I'm doing good - haven't been all year. May have to slip when my son takes me there on Father's Day - can't break tradition.

Comment

Oh, hell no....That does sound good, and I now live 3 1/2 hrs away from F.H.

You bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                    Oh, hell no....That does sound good, and I now live 3 1/2 hrs away from F.H.

You bastard!
                    Imagine it with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Especially with a freshly made doughnut. All gooey and hot.

You are welcome.

Comment

Is that what the blue sign was? I noticed it when I was at Chipotle last week. I'm trying not to go into Krispy Kreme anymore because I love them so much. So far, I'm doing good - haven't been all year. May have to slip when my son takes me there on Father's Day - can't break tradition.
                      Yep. That's what it is...I have neer been in that Krispy Kreme...only thru the drive thru...once. like 3-4 years ago. but when you make your pilgrimage with the boy, ask for the non-fat/low fat stuff. see what they say.
                      I've never been to chipolte. i need to go there. i hear it's teh good.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Comment

I've never been to chipolte. i need to go there. i hear it's teh good.
                        If I were a man of unlimited funds, I'd eat there everyday. It is some seriously good stuff.

Comment

Imagine it with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Especially with a freshly made doughnut. All gooey and hot.

You are welcome.

Comment

If I were a man of unlimited funds, I'd eat there everyday. It is some seriously good stuff.

I hear it is a wee bit high in fat and calories, tho...

Comment

I hear it is a wee bit high in fat and calories, tho...
                              If he were a man of unlimited funds, he could also have liposuction daily after lunch.

Or black tar heroin.

-RBB

Comment

Working...
                              X