34 college football bowl games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 college football bowl games

Two new bowl games (in Wash DC and St Pete, Florida) will be added next year bringing the total to 34 bowl games meaning 68 teams will play in the games

Enough is enough already. College bowl games used to mean something.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Kev is gonna be pissed.
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Good. The more the bowl games there are, the quicker the whole thing collapses and hopefully we'll move on to a playoff system.

Comment

Time to match up the two best 5-7 teams or the two D1 teams with the worst record.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I blame the Big 10 and Pac 10 for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
            I blame the Big 10 and Pac 10 for this.
            I blame those two entities for everything wrong with the game.

Comment

What a mess.

College football is so broken.
              Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by STL JA View Post
                What a mess.

College football is so broken.
                I agree. It has perhaps the best regular season of any bigtime team sport, only to have the most anti climatic ending of them all.

Comment

Yeah, ask Charlie how anti-climatic his national championship win over Miami was in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back.

College football delivers the best regular season of any sport. Bowl season might not have the do or die atmosphere of the basketball tourney, but it delivers good games. (or was that Boise - OU game two years ago a yawner to you?) I agree that there are too many bowls, and there's a much better way to match the teams if you want the most competitive games you can get, but the overall system isn't sick at all. In fact, it's thriving.
                  June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Yay! More December football!

You know who gets hurt when a 6-5 team plays another 6-5 team in the Independence Bowl? NOBODY.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan View Post
                      Yeah, ask Charlie how anti-climatic his national championship win over Miami was in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back.

College football delivers the best regular season of any sport. Bowl season might not have the do or die atmosphere of the basketball tourney, but it delivers good games. (or was that Boise - OU game two years ago a yawner to you?) I agree that there are too many bowls, and there's a much better way to match the teams if you want the most competitive games you can get, but the overall system isn't sick at all. In fact, it's thriving.
                      It is thriving because of the corporate dollar, not because of how good the football games have been.
                      Sponsor of:
                      Brian Elliott

Comment

Nah, the money taken in by Division 1 programs and attendance at games is only growing. Nobody's staying away from the regular season because of the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan View Post
                          Nah, the money taken in by Division 1 programs and attendance at games is only growing. Nobody's staying away from the regular season because of the post season.
                          I am not talking about the regular season, I am talking about the post season games. You see half full stadiums are some of the bowl games. Even the Orange Bowl this year you could get tickets.

It is about the corporate sponsorship to the bowl games and the schools getting money these days. It is the FedEx Orange Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl, PapaJohns.com Bowl, Outback Bowl, Chick-fil-a Bowl, Captial One Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, etc etc. You get the idea. The smallest payout was 300K to Cincy and Southern Mississippi. Places want to fork out money to get their name in a bowl game and those running it will accept that instead of trying fix bigger things. It is all about the
                          Sponsor of:
                          Brian Elliott

Comment

I agree with you about the corporate sponsorship propping up the bowls, but they don't put their money out for long if there's no viewership or fans in the seats. And did you see the empty seats at the bball tourney this year? There were a ton there too, and they will occur in any multi-tiered playoff system you set up.

Comment

More bowl games! Yay! Woot! And that's not just because the only way Alabama gets to bowl games these days is if some Toilet Bowl needs a 6-5 team, no sir! Three more hours in December to watch a sporting event instead of "Miracle on 34th Street" on permanent loop. Yay!
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X