X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Bragg not to be Confused with Club Med

Army secy says Fort Bragg's barracks condition unacceptable

By KEVIN MAURER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 30 minutes ago

FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The secretary of the Army said Wednesday the poor condition of Korean War-era barracks at Fort Bragg is unacceptable.

Army Secretary Pete Geren said improvements are coming, but some of the problems can't be fixed quickly. He made the remarks after meeting with soldiers and touring Fort Bragg's 82nd Airborne Division barracks.

The visit came after the father of a paratrooper posted a video online showing mold inside the barracks, peeling interior paint and a bathroom drain plugged with sewage. By Wednesday, the barracks had new paint and water fountains were fixed, but work crews still labored on the plumbing.

"Everybody on this installation knows that the conditions were unacceptable. Every soldier deserves a quality of life equal to his service," Geren said.

Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., urged the Defense Department on Wednesday to look into the Bragg conditions. It was one of Feingold's constituents, Ed Frawley of Menomonie, Wis., who posted the video. Frawley said he was disgusted by conditions that greeted his son, Sgt. Jeff Frawley, and other members of his company when they returned this month after a 15-month tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Army officials have said they have inspected every barracks building worldwide to see whether plumbing and other problems revealed at Fort Bragg are widespread. The inspection was launched after the video was posted.

The barracks like the one in the video were built in the 1950s and will still be needed while Fort Bragg constructs new ones, Geren said.

"We have old barracks with needs, but it is nothing that can be fixed overnight," he said. "We're going to make sure all the installations have the requirements they need."
    I've also included the video that Mr. Frawley took of the barracks. Turn on the volume. Frawley provides some commentary.

I don't know what he's complaining about. Sounds like it's better than Afghanistan. What a bunch of pussies.

Moon

Hey! A Russ Feingold sighting!
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

moon..are you sure about the validity of that story?My son is 82nd airborne ,which is currently in Iraq.
      I've been there twice...he's a private,and lives in a pretty nice room...pretty much a holiday inn room with a little ice box and microwave...usually 2 to a room.

those old barracks still exist,but appear long vacant.

Comment

Originally posted by Argon View Post
        moon..are you sure about the validity of that story?My son is 82nd airborne ,which is currently in Iraq.
        I've been there twice...he's a private,and lives in a pretty nice room...pretty much a holiday inn room with a little ice box and microwave...usually 2 to a room.

those old barracks still exist,but appear long vacant.
        Hey man, I only post the shit. Like I care if it's true or not. It fits my agenda, and that's all that matters.

Moon

Comment

That is crazy!! Not only should the Officer in charge of this should take full responsibility so should all the NCO's who had any role in this happening!

Comment

i still say its a fabricated story..i've slept in my sons room..its no palace,but far from that.

just more internet trash spread by the same(by this "reporter"..not moon)
            Last edited by Argon; 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

i still say its a fabricated story..i've slept in my sons room..its no palace,but far from that.

just more internet trash spread by the same
              Is your son at Ft. Bragg?
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

in iraq at the moment,but yes,stationed at fort bragg...

here is the FB website,...I don't even see the unit this guy speaks of..

http://www.bragg.army.mil/18abn/announcements.htm

Comment

I wonder what conditions Dave Borkowski lives in?

Comment

just more internet trash spread by the same(by this "reporter"..not moon)
                    Well, I guess that this Mr. Frawley could have fabricated the video, and made up the story about having a son in Afghanistan, and duped Russ Feingold into believing it, and get the Secretary of the Army to believe it and order a review of all military barracks everywhere US Forces are stationed in the whole world.

Yeah, he could have done that.

Moon

Comment

2-508 Parachute Infantry Regiment (Former 3-325)

Comment

I know I believe everything I see on youtube,or every e-mail I get from the Prince of Rumbah asking for my checking account numbers.

seriously..Fort Bragg is a very nice,modern place...at least until that Blue-gum Obama gets elected and runs the military in the ground

Comment

I know I believe everything I see on youtube,or every e-mail I get from the Prince of Rumbah asking for my checking account numbers.

seriously..Fort Bragg is a very nice,modern place...at least until that Blue-gum Obama gets elected and runs the military in the ground
                          So, because your son stays in nice barracks, then it's impossible that Bragg has any shitty barracks on the base?

I'm perfectly willing to believe that Bragg was just full up at the time this unit returned, and they got stuck in a shithole that is never used, on a temporary basis, until better housing became available.

But, you know, when a father of a son who just got done fighting in Afghanistan posts a video of his visit to Bragg to see where his son was living...well, that's gonna make the news.

Moon

Comment

I know that the units that deployed a lot at Camp Lejeune (22nd, 24th, 26th MEU's) did not have the best barracks but they had something at the very least.

I went to Bragg a few times when I was at Lejeune and the living quarters for those that my friends knew were decent. Nothing like this though. Only thing I can think of is that the guys came back and there was not a place for them to stay so they gave them what was there and that was locations that had not been in use for a long time. When units move out as much as some do, their barracks were given to others.
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I think the guy that was in front of me in the line at Shop n Save this evening has gone at least eight weeks without a shower. I swear his veggies and fruit were wilting in his cart.
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                              X