Thought's and prayers for SLUH alum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought's and prayers for SLUH alum

Just thought I'd pass along some sad news for all the SLUH alum here at the Lounge. My son called me this afternoon with the sad news that Fr. Hagen passed away. He said that the SLUH homepage had some info and I've been trying all night to get the homepage online but there must be a million people trying the same thing. I'll try to get a link in the morning.

Fr. Hagen was a remarkable man. I'll never forget my son's freshman year at the first parent/teacher conferences. My son had served a funeral Mass the previous summer for a friend of ours that died of cancer. Fr. Hagen said the funeral Mass. Her son's had gone to SLUH and the family knew that my son was going to be a freshman there in the fall. At the P/T conference once we introduced ourselves to Fr. Hagen he immediately told us all about our son, his grades and that he remembered him from that funeral the previous summer. He wasn't even a student there yet! He was truly a great man and always remembered everyone's name and face. He's going to be missed sorely. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
    RIP Stan the Man
    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
    I miss TLR!

Will do Jim....
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

God Bless him. Never had him for class, but knew him from his masses and in the halls. He is surely sitting with God today. RIP Father Hagan

Comment

My best for he and the SLUH community

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Here is the write-up from the SLUH homepage.

R.I.P. Fr. Hagan

SLUH Icon Passes

One of the most well-known Jesuits in the history of St. Louis University High, Fr. Martin Hagan devoted over 50 years of his priestly life to the young men of SLUH. It is with great sadness the school learned that early today, on Monday, April 28th, Fr. Hagan passed away after complications from a recent fall.
          "SLUH is a school steeped in rich tradition, a tradition that has been shaped over time by Jesuits like Fr. Hagan," says SLUH President David Laughlin. "We are thankful for the many gifts and blessings Fr. Hagan has bestowed on our community, and for this he will always be remembered at SLUH."
          Fr. Hagan made it his constant goal to make each student feel welcome and successful. In fact, he made it his goal each year to know every student by name. As many alumni can attest, he was flawless in this endeavor.
          Fr. Hagan will long be remembered for his warm, kind-hearted spirit as a priest, counselor and friend; as a teacher of religion and English; as coach of the five-time national champion rifle team; and as moderator of the recreation room.
          Recognized as synonymous with the school and a touchstone for generations of Junior Billikens, this man of compassion and generosity, this "man for others," continues to be an inspiration. Please join the SLUH community in prayerful remembrance and celebration of the life of Fr. Hagan.
          This Wednesday, April 30th there is a visitation at St. Francis Xavier College Church from 3-5 p.m. The funeral mass will be Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. Ralph Houlihan, SJ, will be the homilist.
          Below is a note from the Provincial regarding the death of Fr. Hagan:
          I am writing to inform you that Father Martin Hagan SJ, died peacefully on Monday morning, April 28, 2008, at Saint Louis University Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. Father Hagan was 89 years old and a member of the Jesuit Hall Community. Born in Wichita, Kansas, on March 11, 1919, Marty entered the Society of Jesus at St. Stanislaus Seminary in Florissant, Missouri, on September 1, 1937. He was ordained June 14, 1950, in St. Mary's College in Kansas. Following tertianship in Decatur, Illinois, he was assigned to St. Louis University High School where he spent the next 51 years teaching and counseling freshmen. Each year Marty diligently learned the name of each new freshman and tracked their academic progress. He perfected tried and true ways of encouraging each of them to excellence . . . or at least passage to sophomore year. He founded a rifle club which he coached to five national championships. He was equally well known as the moderator of the school recreation room where he gathered the largest collection of pool tables in the Midwest. He paid for new equipment by assessing a five-cent fine each time a billiard ball hit the cement floor. Students still call out "nickel" every time a pool shot goes astray. In 2003 the rec room was named in his honor, a fitting tribute to a man who frequently said the sound of a crowd of boys laughing is "music to my ears and brings a smile to my face." May he rest in peace.
          RIP Stan the Man
          I miss TLR!

Comment

sorry to hear this.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

What's this have to do with Rice University?
              From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
                What's this have to do with Rice University?
                The son went there before Rice. Please don't pull a Turd here. Thanks.
                RIP Stan the Man
                I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy View Post
                  The son went there before Rice. Please don't pull a Turd here. Thanks.
                  That would be gross.
                  If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Working...
                  X