Non-iPod iPod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-iPod iPod help

I know this has been discussed many times before, but I can't find the thread, so whatever. I hope it doesn't knock Obama's pastor off the front page.

Anyway...last night, some genius decided to break into my car. They took my iPod and car adapter, and my bag full of soccer gear (including sweet Lotto bag that was at least 15 years old). They left the $25 that was in the console next to my iPod. I don't really get that, but hey, whatever.

But, now I'm back in the market. However, what I'm REALLY looking for is something that has the following features:

1) Recording ability -- preferably fairly decent.
    2) Car adaptability somehow.
    3) Ability to play stuff I bought through iTunes.
    4) At least, say, 40 gigs.

What I don't care about:

1) Video and all that jazz.
    2) Cost, because I'm so rich.*

Anybody got any ideas? I do not have access to a smart person, nor do I want to carry a Mac around in my pocket all day. Most of my leopard-print pants don't have pockets anyway.

*not true

They are coming back....

Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Ability to play stuff you bought through iTunes = iPod. Nothing else can play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
        Ability to play stuff you bought through iTunes = iPod. Nothing else can play it.
        Yep. Unless you have this week's release of whatever file conversion tool the warez kids have come up with to convert protected iTunes files into .mp3 format...I've had mixed results at best, such utilities usually only work a short time, and the malware/trojan horses/keyloggers/spyware you subject yourself to by visiting sites that host such stuff ain't worth the trouble.

FWIW, I had my second iPod stolen back in early March. I bought one of these:

80 gig storage, and I love it. Took me a few weeks to figure out the interface and get as intuitive as I wanted it to be. Also, the video review above is wrong: it does indeed support .avi video.
        I like cheese.

Comment

There is a way to track stolen ipods. Ill see if I can find the article

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
            4) At least, say, 40 gigs.
            That's a lot of Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
              That's a lot of Rod.
              That's what she said.

Oh, and get a Mac.
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg_Wild03 View Post
                There is a way to track stolen ipods. Ill see if I can find the article
                You have to buy a piece of software and install it on your iPod before it is stolen in order to "track" it...and even that assumes the thief or the person who bought it from the thief will be stupid enough to connect to the iTunes store with it.
                I like cheese.

Comment

Well, that's not quite true. My wife's iPod died. She would have bought a new one, but they don't make camera connectors anymore (for transferring photos from a digital camera directly to an iPod - no need for extra flash cards), and they chagned the port since the iPod Photo days, so she can't use the old one. She she bought something from Wolverine (I think) which - along with supporting the whole transfer of pictures thing - also works with iTunes. It's a bit bigger than iPods, tho.

One of many sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-ESP-...9426986&sr=1-2
                  Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
                    Yep. Unless you have this week's release of whatever file conversion tool the warez kids have come up with to convert protected iTunes files into .mp3 format...I've had mixed results at best, such utilities usually only work a short time, and the malware/trojan horses/keyloggers/spyware you subject yourself to by visiting sites that host such stuff ain't worth the trouble.

FWIW, I had my second iPod stolen back in early March. I bought one of these:

80 gig storage, and I love it. Took me a few weeks to figure out the interface and get as intuitive as I wanted it to be. Also, the video review above is wrong: it does indeed support .avi video.
                    Pretty cool...can you record to it?

Comment

i have the 604 wifi which is 30 gig. you can record directly to it but with the "optional" dvr station which runs about $100-$120. needless to say i did not purchase that. If your talking about "recording" as in voice recording yes it does.

I love mine, although I was dissappointed that the video playback cable was an extra cost albeit only $6, its still the principle. Also if you decide to go with the Archos, be leary of the gen 5 wifi's (605, 705,etc), they make you purchase the software to browse the internet. Or at least they did when I purchased mine around xmas. the gen 4's comes with it already installed.

It dioes support avi's and .pdf standard. I sometimes have problems with dvdrips that have higher quality sound. It seems to only work with mp3 audio. Theres additional formats that it will support, but this to is an additional purchased that you must download afterthefact. I've been able to solve this with a simple avi converter thats pretty commonly found on the internet. That way I can pretty much download anything and play it.

Overall for the money its phenominal and it use it daily to playback music, video and surf the net. The 4.3" screen makes it a little bulky though, if your used to wearing your ipod for jogging and such.

Comment

I knew going in that there were "extras" to purchase to give it full functionality. I'm ok with that, because my 80 gb model gives me more functionality and better video than an iPod touch at a better price. A much better price.

I bought the web-enabler, and that's been it. I plays mp3's and a variety of video codecs right outta the box. The only other extra I purchased was the DVR dock, which is an incredibly slick piece of hardware.
                        I like cheese.

Comment

Jogging = not an issue.

Comment

I've really been wanting to get that. Been saving me pennies for it for a while actually. I do alot of overseas travel and being able to take a weeks worth of american programming with me I think would be awesome. I sometimes regret not getting the 80 gig, but I'm not a real "music library" kinda guy, so once I listen to something a few times or watch it a few times, I usually get rid of it anyways.

I totally agree on screen quality, I dont think even the ipod touch is even close as far as sharpness.

Comment

Originally posted by corey-south-city View Post
                              I totally agree on screen quality, I dont think even the ipod touch is even close as far as sharpness.
                              The Archos 800x480 screen is the sharpest definition of any portable video/mp3 player out there.

FWIW, 'stop, I don't know of any way to record sound direct to the Archos. Still checking around the 'nets.
                              I like cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X