Wanted: Women to eat chocolate for a year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Women to eat chocolate for a year

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scientists in the UK are seeking 150 women to eat chocolate every day for a year in the cause of medical research. Women taking part in the study must eat one bar of chocolate a day.

The trial, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, eastern England, will test whether a natural compound found in cocoa, the main ingredient of chocolate, could cut the risk of heart disease among women with diabetes.

A Belgian confectionist has created the special chocolate bar containing high levels of flavonoids -- a plant compound that has been shown to reduce heart risk factors -- to be used in the experiment. Soy, another natural source of flavonoids, has also been added to the bar.

Participants, who must be postmenopausal women under the age of 70, will have their risk of heart disease tested on five occasions during the year to see whether change occurs.

"The hypothesis of this exciting study is that flavonoids may improve the level of protection against heart disease over and above that provided by conventional drugs," said Dr. Ketan Dhatariya, a consultant in diabetes at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

I can't imagine they'll find any takers!
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

I think a study needs to be done comparing the effects of Cheetos and potato chips, compared with fritos and potato chips.

I would not volunteer---i require all three.
    v

Comment

I know a few that will not take part as they hate chocolate.

Funny story...one of them hates it because she was told as a small child by her aunt that eating chocolate would turn her skin brown.
      Sponsor of:
      Brian Elliott
      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
        I know a few that will not take part as they hate chocolate.

Funny story...one of them hates it because she was told as a small child by her aunt that eating chocolate would turn her skin brown.
        Eating cheetos actually turns my fingers yellow.
        v

Comment

not funny
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

cheetos are offensive. I've been calling my representatives to get them banned. My next step is to ban the plastic bags they are packaged in.
            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
              not funny
              so you don't think telling your curtain climber that it would not be funny saying.....if you eat chocolate, you will turn into a black person

Sponsor of:
              Brian Elliott
              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

so you don't think telling your curtain climber that it would not be funny saying.....if you eat chocolate, you will turn into a black person

Boat loads of fun til said curtain climber gets sent home from school for an extended vacation for telling some classmate that the chocolate pudding in his/her lunch will change his skin color...

Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

My mother told me that eating bread crust would make the hair on your head curly.

So, I didn't eat bread until highschool. And, she was wrong....that wasn't the hair that turned curly.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Nuh uh, the crust grows hair on your chest.
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues View Post
                      Nuh uh, the crust grows hair on your chest.
                      Wrong! The crust makes you be able to whistle. So sayeth my grandparents.
                      Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

no, but it would be fun explaining to him why Uncle Guppy has hairy palms.
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                          cheetos are offensive. I've been calling my representatives to get them banned. My next step is to ban the plastic bags they are packaged in.
                          Hey---if you don't like cheetos, don't go to places where people are allowed to eat cheetos.

I try hard not to wipe the cheeto residue on others, but you that is not always possible. We don't need a nanny state. And if you banned them, people would spend all that money in in other states like Arkansas or somewhere.
                          v

Comment

Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Kjoe brought the funny in this thread.
                              If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X