Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have to pay the red-light ticket fines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to pay the red-light ticket fines?

Red light tickets hard to collect on
    Mikel Ramsey Jr. has a knack for getting on film.

Or, rather, his car does.

Ramsey's vehicle has been clicked more than two dozen times by red-light traffic cameras in St. Louis, racking up $2,600 in fines. RELATED LINK
    Map for red-light cameras

Ramsey hasn't paid a dime of it. But the city has not impounded his car or hauled him off to jail. Police aren't even looking for him.

Chronic violators such as Ramsey represent a weakness in photo-enforcement programs, which are becoming increasingly popular in cities around the region. Other drivers appear to be changing their habits: A sharp decline in camera citations has been reported at several St. Louis intersections.

Because most red-light cameras take a picture only of the car — not the driver — it's difficult for cities here and around the country to make people pay.

Some cities have sought to address the shortcomings by employing a creative definition of what it means to run a red light, or making it a separate crime to ignore the violations notice.

Meanwhile, hundreds of area drivers each month dutifully pay the tickets when they are caught running a red light.

Those who don't?

Officials acknowledge that, for now, there's little they can do.

"If you threw it in the trash," says St. Louis Alderman Freeman Bosley Sr., chairman of the aldermanic Traffic Committee, "nothing would happen."

The rest
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I wish they'd deep-six that entire idea.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I heard them talking on teh radio about this a while ago and people are saying the yellow light time is lessened when they put these things in. I think that's more dangerous than anything in this deal.
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
        I heard them talking on teh radio about this a while ago and people are saying the yellow light time is lessened when they put these things in. I think that's more dangerous than anything in this deal.
        I heard the same thing. There has been an increase in rear-end collisions at many of these intersections.

Just a flat out stupid idea from the get go.

Comment

I thought about if they lessened the yellow light time at Manchester and Lindbergh (an intersection I go through a lot) and it would really screw me up. I know when I can still make it and when I need to stop. If they mess with that timing, I am going to be all screwed up. I don't think they are thinking of putting one there though so I should be okay for a while.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I'm pretty sure one of the municipalities who started this early on and the company who installed the cameras are being sued in court.

Seems to me that fining someone for something you cannot prove they did is a little unconstitutional.
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Good. I never liked this idea.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

How the hell do you run a red light more than two dozen times? Dude's gonna kill somebody one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Glovey View Post
                  How the hell do you run a red light more than two dozen times? Dude's gonna kill somebody one of these days.
                  Yeah, no doubt this particular guy is an asshole.

I speed some myself, some roads are just to darn smooth and nice and gets to be difficult to keep it down to 35 but I don't run red lights ever. That's way dangerous.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I'm expecting one of these in the mail soon. Good times.

Comment

I have had those cameras take my picture at least two dozen times. Maybe once or twice it was actually running the light but the majority of the time it is for approaching the light and getting to the line or I make a right hand turn. I assume that when it flashes, a picture is being taken and they go off on a regular basis when people do not run the lights or make right hand turns (at least they do in Hazelwood and Florissant).
                      Sponsor of:
                      Brian Elliott
                      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I don't like the stop sign camera tickets.

But if they could take pictures of people using cell phones, and not going on green....I will get back to you on this...still thinking about it.
                        v

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                          I have had those cameras take my picture at least two dozen times. Maybe once or twice it was actually running the light but the majority of the time it is for approaching the light and getting to the line or I make a right hand turn. I assume that when it flashes, a picture is being taken and they go off on a regular basis when people do not run the lights or make right hand turns (at least they do in Hazelwood and Florissant).

I know which one you're talking about. Its snapped my pic a few times on making a right hand turn too. I've never gotten anything in the mail on it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe View Post
                            I don't like the stop sign camera tickets.

But if they could take pictures of people using cell phones, and not going on green....I will get back to you on this...still thinking about it.
                            Or people hauling crap on pickup beds or the tops of their cars that constitute an unsafe load.

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan View Post
                              I know which one you're talking about. Its snapped my pic a few times on making a right hand turn too. I've never gotten anything in the mail on it tho.

I'm pretty sure it snapped my pic when I was making a right off of Graham onto the outer road to get on 270...I never got anything in the mail, tho...
                              Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Working...
                              X