Cardinals(Wainwright) vs Astros(Oswalt) 12:10 CDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals(Wainwright) vs Astros(Oswalt) 12:10 CDT

Time to start a winning streak and get the sour taste of last night loss out of their mouths.
    I'm putting my unbeaten streak in GDT on the line. I'll add more in the morning.

Adam Wainwright (left) and Roy Oswalt

Through his first three starts this season, Houston righthander Roy Oswalt, the foremost ace of the NL Central, had a 9.00 ERA, three losses and a slew of questions.

Good thing Lance Berkman was around to, as they said, "commiserate."

"The only thing harder than having success is maintaining success," Berkman said of the conclusion of a recent talk. "When you establish a level of performance — to repeat that in a division that has as much talent as ours does is difficult. Everyone knows your strengths and weaknesses, and it's just a matter of who can execute. That separates the guys who have consistent success and the ones who get worn down."

In the age of unbalanced schedules, with division rivals playing each other in the regular season as many as 19 times, Oswalt, now 2-3, has been successful despite becoming familiar to so many opponents. Of Oswalt's 226 career appearances in seven-plus seasons, 122 are against division foes. His 173 2/3 innings against the Cardinals — regular season and playoffs — would be considered a pretty good season for most pitchers.

And today he faces them again. Opposite him is a burgeoning ace who aspires to have a long, entrenched career in the division: the Cardinals' Adam Wainwright.

The two had a seven-inning duel last season. Both gave up one run, and the game was decided — a Cardinals' 8-1 victory — after the starters left. Typical Oswalt. In 25 starts against the Cardinals, Oswalt is 11-4 with a 2.79 ERA. Albert Pujols has 65 at-bats against Oswalt, his most against any pitcher in baseball. The righthander has held Pujols to a .292 average.

"I find the biggest thing is never to have a pattern," Oswalt said. "A lot of guys will develop a pattern, especially when you're playing at their home park and they can watch where the catcher is setting up. Video is real big today. So try not to get into a pattern where guys can sit on pitches late in a ballgame."

Wainwright, less than 230 innings into his career as a starter, is just starting to establish himself. Since signing his first multiyear contract this spring, Wainwright has talked about having longevity and success with the Cardinals. That only comes with having the latter against NL Central foes.

"I think the ultimate goal is to go into a home stand against a team that you've faced a lot of times and them knowing that they have to show up and play a great game to win," Wainwright said. "If you show up and guys are licking their chops to face you, something's wrong. I know that when you're going against Oswalt and (Cubs' starter Carlos) Zambrano, we have to show up ready."

Wainwright relishes such matchups. Oswalt has made a career of excelling in them.

Houston's righthander said there are no secrets left between him and many of the NL Central regulars, but the showdowns shift. Sometimes a hitter is on every pitch, even ones that once worked. Sometimes a pitcher is just off.

"Sometimes their weaknesses are not your strength, and you still have to attack them," said Oswalt, a two-time 20-game winner. "After you do this three, four years in a row, they start expecting it from you."
    Last edited by davhaf; 04-26-2008, 07:31 AM.
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

I had the mental and emotional fortitude to put last night's debacle behind me after sharing a few choice words in the GDT. Or so I thought. Pretty much woke up this morning pissed off all over again!

Oswalt hasn't been his usual lights out self, but he's still good enough to shut down this current offense. All the more reason winning last night's game was so important. We're staring a 2 game losing streak right in the face given how we're presently playing.
    Last edited by slow groove; 04-26-2008, 06:35 AM.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

""Izzy's saved a lot of games for me, and I've been over there in that chair a lot myself. I've blown a lot of games in my day as a closer. He's going out there and giving 100 percent. He's our guy. We're going to win with Izzy, that's for sure." - B. Looper

I'm doing my best to follow Looper's lead and just believe. Go Cards!
      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

a note on Troy Glaus' vision...

ST LOUIS -- The sun should shine on Busch Stadium on Saturday afternoon, so Troy Glaus should be good to go.

In an odd turn of events, Glaus is having difficulties with his eyes when he tries to hit during home games at night. On Friday, it became so bad that Glaus had to come out of the game after two plate appearances. For some reason, on cool, wet nights at Busch Stadium, Glaus' eyes water to the point that he can barely see.

"They just keep saying it's allergies," Glaus said. "Just trying to get them under control. I've never had allergies before in my life. So I'm not really sure what to do about it. Hasn't happened during the day or anywhere else. Just when I'm at the plate.

"It's a little frustrating, certainly."

Glaus' troubles certainly have manifested themselves in his performance. In night games at home, he's 3-for-24 (.125) with no extra-base hits and eight strikeouts. In day games at home, he's 6-for-16 (.375) with four doubles and two strikeouts. And in all road games, Glaus is 13-for-42 (.310) with seven doubles and seven strikeouts.

When he can see the ball, he's hitting pretty well. When his eyes well up, he's lost.

"Go home, put drops in your eyes and look straight forward," he explained. "You don't see that well."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

There is something about playing the lesser teams in the NL that doesn't really bring out the best in the Birds......
          TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Anal Fissures (or Fistures if you're Al Hrabosky) goes yard.

Good start.
            Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
            Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
            There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
            "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
            "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Oswalt is pitching. That's the only run he'll need against us.

This team is still the 95 loss team we thought it was in February.
              I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                a note on Troy Glaus' vision...

"They just keep saying it's allergies," Glaus said. "Just trying to get them under control. I've never had allergies before in my life. So I'm not really sure what to do about it. Hasn't happened during the day or anywhere else. Just when I'm at the plate.

Welcom to St. Louis, Troy.

Comment

Benches emptied...what happened?

Comment

Ausmus ain't happy with Wainwright as the benches clear...

Comment

Assmus
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

LaRussa and Ausmus were yelling at one another after Wainwright threw behind the catcher...

Wainwright just stares at Ausmus

Comment

Ausmus should be fucking tossed for acting like that. You cause that big of a scene and umps have to put their hands on you, you should be thrown out.
                          Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Ya think Ausmus said anything to Wainwright when he jogged by after that lineout?

Comment

I can see Brandon Backe going after someone manana now after that little charade...

Comment

Working...
                              X