Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is McCain's 50 dollar thing a gaffe? Eventually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is McCain's 50 dollar thing a gaffe? Eventually?

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN (R), ARIZONA: Now, my friends, I'll offer anybody here $50 an hour if you'll go pick lettuce in Yuma this season and pick for the whole season. So -- OK? Sign up. OK. You sign up. You sign up, and you'll be there for the whole season, the whole season. OK? Not just one day. Because you can't do it, my friend.

Know Your Audience, Know Your Economy ...

Following up on the post from earlier this morning about Sen. McCain's claim that you can't find Americans willing to do hard manual labor for $50 an hour, this from the TPM mailbag ...
    My name is Kevin Flynn, I am the legislative/political director for the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers. Our union is an affiliate of the BCTD. I was at the legislative conference when McCain lost his cool and began this tirade. Your readers are correct, his assertion was that no American would be willing to do this work for $50.00 an hour. There are those who will argue that offering such a wage to American workers would not be adequate incentive, but clearly to an audience of construction workers this is not the case. Our president was behind him on stage when he made this asinine comment in response to the public outcry he received because of his very vocal support of comprehensive immigration reform, Our president(and myself since I worked in the field as well) was struck dumb because our members(not unlike those of the other trades represented in the crowd) work 8-12 hours each day in the heat throughout the country bending over and laying 80 lb concrete blocks, heavy stone & marble, brick, and working in hellish conditions worse than the Arizona summer. Your original point was correct, John McCain is clueless when it comes to the economy or the experiences of ordinary people who work for a living. His only working experiences were as a pilot in the Navy and as a member of the House of Representatives and the Senate. It should be very apparent from this ludicrous offer he made to people doing similar work and in a fair number of states for less. If you have any questions, please feel free to email or call me.
    v

Oh, hell yeah! Where do I sign up?

Comment

$50 x 40 x 52 = $104,000

I'll pass

Comment

they gave this update...

Late Update: Some readers say that I've misconstrued McCain's meaning, that he's not saying migrant farm workers make $100,000 a year but that Americans wouldn't do the work even if it paid $100,000 a year. And on second reading I think they may be right. But in terms of out being of touch with the wages most Americans make, I think it's basically the same difference. Who thinks you couldn't find Americans willing to work in lettuce fields if it paid over $100,000 a year? US labor statistics say the actual wage for this work is about $10,000 per year. And at that wage -- which, let's be honest, we all reap a benefit from in the form of cheap lettuce prices -- no wonder Americans are unwilling to do it.
        v

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
          $50 x 40 x 52 = $104,000

I'll pass
          Lettuce season in Arizona is from November to April.

I think there are a lot of folks who would take $40k for 5 months of work. Especially guys in construction who could then work the other 7 months.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
            Lettuce season in Arizona is from November to April.

I think there are a lot of folks who would take $40k for 5 months of work. Especially guys in construction who could then work the other 7 months.

Moon
            I think you're right...it would be VERY easy to find folks at that pay rate to pick lettuce.

I just don't see why I would take a pay cut to work 1000x harder than I do now.

Comment

The point is---look for future McCain disconnects with reality on everything from iraq to the economy.
              v

Comment

I think you're right...it would be VERY easy to find folks at that pay rate to pick lettuce.

Well, obviously you are not Senator McCain's target audience.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                  Well, obviously you are not Senator McCain's target audience.

Moon
                  I can't believe I'm going to leave that straight line alone...

Comment

hell look at mccain sprouting the gas tax holiday nonsense.

Comment

He's nuts. Makes Ron Paul look normal.

Comment

es mejor que haciendo cincuenta centavos por día que hace la misma cosa en México

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post

I wonder if it is too late for Hillary to contest him for the nomination. She can cut taxes and ignore reality just as well as any republican.

spot from Hillary focuses on her plan to suspend the gas tax -- a contrast with Obama -- in Indiana.
                          Script after the jump.

Announcer:
                          These days, it costs fifty bucks to fill up the tank.

How can Indiana families afford that?

Hillary Clinton knows it's time to act, take some of the windfall profits of big oil to pay to suspend the gas tax this summer, investigate the oil giants for price gouging and collusion.

Make the oil companies invest in new clean energy sources to free us from foreign oil and bring gas prices down to earth.

With gas this expensive, talk is cheap.

It's time for leadership
                          v

Comment

According to Moon....you're rich.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                              Agree. Stupid idea that one.

We should raise gas taxes until people change their habits. Especially if the prices go back down. Keep gas taxes high...like a sin tax.

Use the dough on some new roads and bridges.
                              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                              X