Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT (4/25) - Astros (Chacon 0-0) vs. Cardinals (Looper 3-1), 7:15pm CT (L)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT (4/25) - Astros (Chacon 0-0) vs. Cardinals (Looper 3-1), 7:15pm CT (L)

Houston (11-12) at St. Louis (14-9)
    Preview | Box Score | Recap
    Currently: Saint Louis, MO
    Temp: 65° F Game info: 8:15 pm EDT Fri Apr 25, 2008TV: FSH, FSMWAdd to Calendar | Buy Tickets By DAN PIERINGER, STATS Writer
    6 hours, 26 minutes ago
    Buzz Up
    Print
    During their early struggles, the Houston Astros insisted they were going to put everything together soon. Lately, they’ve been delivering on that promise.

The Astros look to extend their win streak to six games and pull to .500 for the first time this season as they open a three-game series against the NL Central rival St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on Friday night.

Houston (11-12) averaged 3.7 runs and batted .228 while opening the season 6-12 - its worst start since 1983. Throughout that stretch, players and coaches said better times were right around the corner.

Those times appear to have arrived. The Astros have averaged 8.2 runs and batted .335 while putting together their longest win streak since they won nine games in a row from Sept. 20-28, 2006.

“A lot of guys are getting hot at the same time,” outfielder Hunter Pence, who’s 9-for-19 (.474) during the streak, told the Astros’ official Web site. “We have a lot of good hitters, so it was just a matter of time.”

Series at a Glance
    Houston at
    St. Louis
    Fri, Apr 25 - 8:15 pm ET
    Houston at
    St. Louis
    Sat, Apr 26 - 1:10 pm ET
    Houston at
    St. Louis
    Sun, Apr 27 - 2:15 pm ET
    The Astros are also getting solid pitching from their rotation, which has delivered four quality starts during the streak. Minor-league call-up Jack Cassel ended the team’s run of quality starts on Thursday, but still held Cincinnati to three runs in five innings of Houston’s 5-3 victory.

“The pitching’s come through. They picked us up today,” Pence said. “It’s one of those things where you have to get (the hitting and pitching) going at the same time.”

Houston first baseman Lance Berkman had three hits - including a home run - and three RBIs Thursday, and is batting .533 (8-for-15) with six walks, two homers and nine RBIs during a five-game hitting streak that has coincided with the Astros’ run.

Berkman was 4-for-11 with a home run as Houston dropped two of three games in a home series against St. Louis (14-9) from April 7-9.

Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols went 5-for-12 with two homers in that series.

Pujols, batting .377 overall, went 2-for-2 and reached base in all five plate appearances during St. Louis’ 6-2 win over Pittsburgh on Thursday night. He has reached base safely in all 23 games this season and leads the majors with a .525 on-base percentage.

Pujols will try to continue his strong start against Houston’s most effective starter so far. Shawn Chacon (0-0, 2.77 ERA) has opened his first season with the Astros with four consecutive quality starts, although he’s still seeking his first victory.

The right-hander held Colorado to three runs in six innings Sunday, when the Astros scored three runs in the eighth to win 6-4. He doesn’t have a decision in 11 career games, including four starts, against the Cardinals, while posting a 4.22 ERA.

Braden Looper (3-1, 5.49) will start for St. Louis, hoping to bounce back from his worst outing of the year. The right-hander had a three-start winning streak snapped on Sunday when he was tagged for seven runs in three innings of an 8-2 loss to San Francisco.

Looper, a reliever until he was moved to the rotation last year, is 3-1 with a 3.56 ERA in five starts against the Astros. Berkman is 8-for-20 (.400) with five walks against him.

Send
    Print
    Updated 6 hours, 26 minutes ago
    Team Comparison
    Team Record Standings Away/Home Streak L10
    Houston 11-12 4th Central Away 5-7 Won 5 6-4
    St. Louis 14-9 2nd Central Home 8-4 Won 1 5-5
    Notes

OF Hunter Pence extended his hitting streak to eight games. ... The Astros will designate IF Thomas Perez for assignment to make room for Thursday's starter RHP Jack Cassel. "I have to wait to see what happens. I am happy with the way I was treated here by the manager, the organization, everybody, the players," Perez said. ... Houston has won four straight for the first time since July 29 of last season.

Apr 24, 12:26 am EDT
    PNC Park may be Pittsburgh's home park, but the Cardinals have owned the Pirates there, going 41-18 there all-time in the eight-year-old facility. ... 1B Albert Pujols has also had a great deal of success at PNC Park, hitting .381 (85-for-223) there, with 20 home runs and 54 RBI. ... 3B Troy Glaus' first-inning double on Wednesday was the 250th of his career. ... After scoring four first-inning runs on Wednesday, the Cardinals have scored before their opponents in 16 of 21 games this season, and hold a 12-4 record in those games. ... Thursday's scheduled starter, RHP Joel Pineiro, is 2-0 with a 1.98 ERA in two previous starts against the Pirates.
    TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Cardinals 12, Astros 2

HR: Ankiel

W: Looper (4-1)
    TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Looper. Blah.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Cards Notes: Glaus seeing doubles
        By Derrick Goold
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        04/25/2008

April 23, 2008--Cardinals third baseman Troy Glaus
        (Gene J. Puskar/AP)

GLAUS SEEING DOUBLES
        PITTSBURGH • Troy Glaus is still looking for his first home run as a Cardinal, but it’s not for a lack of power. The new third baseman ripped a two-run double in the first inning Wednesday, giving him four doubles in four games and a share of the league lead with 10 doubles this season.

"He’s not hitting the home runs yet, so you look at the doubles," manager Tony La Russa said. "He’s making good contact. One just hasn’t left the park yet."

After taking a .218 average into the Cardinals’ home series against San Francisco, Glaus had eight hits in his next 20 at-bats, and five of those hits were doubles. A couple landed in the deepest gaps of the ballparks — a sign that as his timing has returned, so has his gap power.

Glaus has five seasons with at least 25 doubles. He took a .297 road average into Thursday’s game at PNC Park and "isn’t 100 percent good as he can be, but he’s a tougher and tougher at-bat," La Russa said.

"To me, they’re good swings," Glaus said of the doubles. "They’re good, solid swings. That they didn’t go three feet farther, whatever. But it’s a good baseline to start from. If you’re hitting the balls in the gap, then it’s a good, solid swing."
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Alright Troy -

Cards 9 Stros 3
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

9 games at home against the Central.....this is a critical week

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looper is starting to scare me.

Comment

I will not be attending this game
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Didn't these two teams just play. No wonder they only have 3 games against each other in August and September.

It will be interesting to see if the offense can keep it up and if Houston will try to run against a good defensive catcher.

Comment

Looper will bounce back tonight...
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Pence is queer
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

I'm there tonite. 2.5-0 so far.
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Houston 4, St. Louis 3

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Expect a long rain delay.

My guess is we see a lot of reyes and Thompson.

Enjoy your victory, Houston.

Deep in the hearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt of TEXAS.
                            Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Probably not going to see much of Thompson unless we simulcast the Memphis game during a rain delay.

Comment

Working...
                              X