Bounced Check Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounced Check Question

In Illinois at what amount does a bad check become a Felony? We had a 1900.00 check written to us bounce...
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Fucking SLUBLUE screwing others over.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained View Post
      In Illinois at what amount does a bad check become a Felony? We had a 1900.00 check written to us bounce...
      I would contact the Attorney General's office anyway....the worst they say is you're out of luck.

Comment

Be sure to charge them a bounced check fee to cover the costs of your bank charging you for their bounced check. Money order or cash only.

I had a roommate do that to me once. I had paid the bills (tv, utilities, phone) and he cut me a check for half of it all only to bounce on me.
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

BlueBrained....Have you contacted the check writer to see if he/she will make good? I'd do that first. I bounced a couple of checks once because a check written to me had bounced. We were able to get everything settled without going to court.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it'd be the same threshold as theft; while it'd be the state's attorney's final say, he can choose to prosecute anything over $150.00 as a felony.

Passing bad checks is a tough case to prove, so most prosecutors are happy to file a charge and start evidence gathering and then reduce or eliminate the charge if the offending party makes good.
            I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
              Be sure to charge them a bounced check fee to cover the costs of your bank charging you for their bounced check. Money order or cash only.

I had a roommate do that to me once. I had paid the bills (tv, utilities, phone) and he cut me a check for half of it all only to bounce on me.
              Fuckin Inebriated....

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
                I would contact the Attorney General's office anyway....the worst they say is you're out of luck.
                That's the worst? WHEW! Thank goodness!
                Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                  That's the worst? WHEW! Thank goodness!
                  You got any better ideas

Comment

It came from Jenn's ex for back medical expenses he owed her.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained View Post
                      It came from Jenn's ex for back medical expenses he owed her.
                      Oh in that case do whatever you can legally do to get his butt in jail....

Comment

Agreed

Comment

++
                          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

If he is in town, or if his bank has a local affiliate, take it to his bank and see if the money is in the account. They can tell you if this person is close to covering and just made a mistake, or if the account is closed, or if this happens often. This information will help you decide what is next.

"Sometimes you score, sometimes you don't," Tarasenko said. "You can't score every game. So, at the same time, you need to help your team. You can be a factor. That's what I try to do. I believe it's coming if you just don't think about it".

Comment

In most cases of a bounced check you have to prove that the person writing the bounced checks did so in bad faith.

I think, if the guy wrote the $1900 check when he knew he only had $100 in his checking account, that would be considered bad faith.

Comment

Working...
                              X