Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: (W) 4/21/08 - Cards (Wainwright, 2-1, 2.78) @ Brewers (Villanueva, 1-2, 6.19)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: (W) 4/21/08 - Cards (Wainwright, 2-1, 2.78) @ Brewers (Villanueva, 1-2, 6.19)

# Game info: 8:05 pm EDT Mon Apr 21, 2008
    # TV: FSMW, FSWI

In his first full season in the rotation, Adam Wainwright led St. Louis Cardinals’ starters with 14 wins and a 3.70 ERA.

Judging by his performance this month, there’s every reason to believe he can exceed those totals in 2008.

Wainwright looks to beat the Milwaukee Brewers for the second time in six days when the teams open a two-game series Monday night at Miller Park.

With 2005 NL Cy Young award winner Chris Carpenter recovering from elbow surgery and former 20-game winner Mark Mulder also injured (shoulder surgery), Wainwright (2-1, 2.78 ERA) is considered the Cardinals’ (12-7) stand-in ace.

It may be too early to refer to Wainwright as a legitimate ace, but the fourth-year right-hander has built on a strong 2007 with three effective outings this season. He retired the first 11 batters in order and allowed one earned run in 7 2-3 innings Wednesday in a 5-4 victory over Milwaukee (11-7).

Wainwright has worked seven or more innings in six of his last seven starts dating to last season.

“I just think it’s a credit to his mind-set,” manager Tony La Russa said. “He’s bound and determined to stay out there deep into the game. He just wills himself to keep going.”

Wainwright, who is 2-1 with a 2.29 ERA in three career starts against the Brewers, has also contributed to St. Louis’ success in another manner - with his bat. He is 4-for-8 with a home run and two RBIs this season, and is a .329 (25-for-76) career hitter with three homers and nine RBIs.

His third career home run came off Monday’s scheduled Brewers starter Carlos Villanueva (1-2, 6.19).

“I feel like I’m going to get a hit every time,” Wainwright said. “I’m sure I’ll start seeing a slew of offspeed pitches here soon, and then we’ll really talk about how I am as a hitter.”

Wainwright will be asked to help the Cardinals avoid their season-high third straight loss. St. Louis lost its first series of the season over the weekend, falling 3-0 to San Francisco on Saturday before an 8-2 loss on Sunday.

The eight runs were the most allowed this season by St. Louis, which entered Sunday ranked second in the NL with a 3.07 ERA.

Milwaukee had a chance to complete a three-game sweep at Cincinnati on Sunday, but closer Eric Gagne, pitching for the fourth straight day, gave up back-to-back homers in the bottom of the 10th before Ken Griffey sealed the Reds’ 4-3 victory with an RBI single.

“I felt very good,” Gagne said. “I got behind in the count. That’s the thing: You’ve got to get ahead. I didn’t do that today.”

The loss ended a three-game win streak for the Brewers, who went 5-4 on a trip to New York, St. Louis and Cincinnati.

“It seems like this road trip has lasted a year,” manager Ned Yost told the team’s official Web site. “It’ll be nice to be home.”

Villanueva had his worst outing of the season against St. Louis on Wednesday, allowing five runs and eight hits in 4 2-3 innings.

He is 1-2 with a 3.46 ERA in four career starts versus the Cardinals.

St. Louis’ Albert Pujols is 7-for-18 (.389) with two homers and two doubles against Villanueva.
    My first GDT of the season! Go Cards!

Time for our Ace to Ace.

Lets Go Cards
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Shut 'em down Wainwright

And let's get some Tallies
      Sketch in STL
      Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Cardinals 10, Brewers 3

Yadi goes deep twice, Ludwick gets his 5th HR of the season, and Wainwright will get a much deserved win......

Time to revisit first-place.......hopefully the Mets take care of business at Wrigley.....
        TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

We're playing these a-holes again? What is this, Giants and Brewers month?
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

The pitching match-ups strongly favor us, although, Lohse is due to have a bad game. We need to start hitting though, and soon.

Glaus looked like yesterday that he might be turning a corner. If they can get him hot, this team will score some runs. And I think I've seen enough of Uncle Rico till September, especially since it looks like BRyan is getting close to being ready.

Also, not sure if it was talked about on here, but Mulder threw 6 shutout innings in Springfield yesterday, 76 pitches. Guess he had some hard hit balls that his defense helped him with. 3 BB's(2 in the 6th inning) and only 1 K though which isn't a great sign. Was said that his fastball topped out at 90 MPH and that he was consistantly in the 87-90 range. That's improvement from his last start at least. Looks like he'll have at least 2 more starts before being called up. Quite frankly, I hope they leave him down there for as many starts as possible.
            Official Lounge Sponsor
            Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Mulder can return to 2005 form (which is a solid #2). I would not expect anything more.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                Mulder can return to 2005 form (which is a solid #2). I would not expect anything more.
                I would do cartwheels in the street if we could get him back to that form. I'll be satisfied if we can get him back to anything close to his '05 self.
                Official Lounge Sponsor
                Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues View Post
                  We're playing these a-holes again? What is this, Giants and Brewers month?
                  I hate the way they do this schedule.
                  "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                  --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                    I hate the way they do this schedule.
                    You need to vote in the Alessandra Ambrosia-Tori Praver LTOH thread.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Springer activated; Rico sent out

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Thanks for playing, Rico.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                        -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                          Springer activated; Rico sent out
                          Russ Springer has been activated for tonight's game in Milwaukee..

Rico Washington optioned to Memphis...

Cardinals go with the extra arm, at least for a few days... (presumably) until Brendan Ryan is ready...

--B
                          k
                          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

For fuck's sake, how many pitchers is that now? 13?
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Well, I assume Thompson or Reyes will be traded very soon, so we will get back to 12.

Going on record now....trading Reyes is a mistake.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X