Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rays sign Evan Longoria...

to a nine-year deal...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

9 years(6 guarenteed) for a guy who's played 6 games in the majors.

Makes sense to me....
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Well at least they were telling the truth when they said sending Longoria down wasn't a financial move to save a year of service.
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

????

Comment

Wow. That's unusual.
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Rays are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
              Rays are smart.
              If he ends up being good, yes they are. If he shits the bed, they will continue to be well, the Rays.

Seems like you'd want to see more than a few games before you sign him to a 9 year deal though
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

The makings of some good young players on that team. If they stick together and gel over next couple, three years, they'll be really fun to watch.
                "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Longoria down, Crawford next...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                    If he ends up being good, yes they are. If he shits the bed, they will continue to be well, the Rays.

Seems like you'd want to see more than a few games before you sign him to a 9 year deal though
                    It's a risk, but you can be sure it's calculated.

Only six years guaranteed, anyway, and they're pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post

6-year deal with 2 options over the last 3 years.

They're essentially buying out his arbitration years except they're doing it before he even has a chance to sniff arbitration.

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove View Post
                        The makings of some good young players on that team. If they stick together and gel over next couple, three years, they'll be really fun to watch.
                        Haven't people been saying this about them for the last 5-6 years now?
                        Official Lounge Sponsor
                        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                          Haven't people been saying this about them for the last 5-6 years now?
                          And they have been really fun to watch. On offense. And very painful to watch when they're pitching. Except this time it really seems they may have a decent, up-and-coming pitching staff.
                          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                            And they have been really fun to watch. On offense. And very painful to watch when they're pitching. Except this time it really seems they may have a decent, up-and-coming pitching staff.
                            Kazmir, Shields, Niemann, Garza, Price, Davis, McGee, Hellickson...lots of ifs there, but they could be really good. Still not much of a bullpen, but they should be able to fix that when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                              It's a risk, but you can be sure it's calculated.

Only six years guaranteed, anyway, and they're pretty cheap.
                              ++

6 years at <18 million isn't much. Can't think of many position players that were marked as this much of a can't miss that didn't turn into being worth 3 million a year in today's market, baring career ending injury or something.

Especially someone who is ready to play in the majors (not a draftee right out of school).

There is a lot of good PR here too. He will put butts in the seats on his own
                              Sketch in STL
                              Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Working...
                              X