• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burke Bans Canon Lawyer from Archdiocese

Burke bans canon lawyer from archdiocese
    By Cheryl Wittenauer
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    04/12/2008

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- A prominent Roman Catholic priest and canon lawyer, who says he has been helping those "harmed by the institutional Catholic Church" since 1985 and counseling a Polish heritage church here, has been banned from working in the archdiocese.

The Rev. Thomas Doyle, a Dominican priest and canon lawyer based in Virginia, also has been ordered by Archbishop Raymond Burke to pay back any payment he received from St. Stanislaus Kostka Church.

Burke issued a decree charging Doyle with two "canonical crimes" related to his defense of two excommunicated board members of St. Stanislaus.

The decree, published Friday in the archdiocesan newspaper, says Doyle did not receive prior approval from Burke to represent board members Stan Rozanski and Bernice Krauze. It also says Doyle didn't immediately respond to Burke's summons to appear before him.

Burke wrote in an accompanying article in the St. Louis Review that Doyle failed to represent the board members "properly or effectively."

"As the chief shepherd of the church in the Archdiocese of St. Louis, I have the duty and moral obligation to uphold the teachings and practices of the Catholic faith," Burke wrote. "Those teachings include the obligation of a bishop to safeguard the legal processes under which the church operates."

An archdiocesan spokeswoman said Burke was unavailable for comment Friday.

Rozanski, the board member, said no money was exchanged.

"He refused to take anything," he said. "He's not that kind of guy."

Reached Friday by phone, Doyle accused Burke of "vindictively clubbing people with canon law."

"He's making a mockery of the role of the bishop, a mockery of himself, and the role of leadership in the church when it comes to resolving disputes and problems."

St. Stanislaus, founded by Polish immigrants in the late 1800s, has been in a yearslong struggle with the archdiocese over control of its assets. Burke has excommunicated St. Stanislaus' board and the Polish priest it hired two years ago.

Burke also has refused to allow St. Stanislaus' pastor, the Rev. Marek Bozek, to be represented by Doyle. When pressed to explain why, Burke has said that some of Doyle's beliefs are inconsistent with Catholic teaching. Bozek continues to seek Doyle's counsel.

Doyle said he didn't get Burke's approval to represent Krauze and Rozanski because he was already representing other board members in their appeal to the Vatican.

"He exaggerated it," he said. "It's total nonsense."

Doyle also objected to Burke's contention that he has publicly taken a position contrary to the infallible teachings of the church.

"My faith and what I believe, and how I believe is none of his business," he said. "It's personal.

"My obedience to him has nothing to do with my standing with the higher power."

Doyle, who has a doctorate in canon law, left a career at the Vatican Embassy to become an outspoken advocate for church abuse victims.

He warned the Catholic hierarchy of the potential scope of the sex abuse scandal in 1985, 17 years before it erupted in 2002.

He said he has been working to support and defend those harmed by the church since then.

He was an Air Force major stationed in Germany, and also served as a military chaplain in Iraq.
    Moon

You're goddamn right!

Huegy

Comment

I've posted this before, but...

Burke is never in the news for something that's positive...it's always, always something negative...wouldn't want to be his PR guy...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post

Burke is never in the news for something that's positive...it's always, always something negative...wouldn't want to be his PR guy...
        Isn't or wasn't his PR guy Jamie Allman who used to be on Channel 4?

You never saw Rigali's name in the paper as much as you see Burke's. The guy is definately a lightning rod.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post

Me either!

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
            Isn't or wasn't his PR guy Jamie Allman who used to be on Channel 4?

You never saw Rigali's name in the paper as much as you see Burke's. The guy is definately a lightning rod.
            Yep (as moon points out)...they went and hired a former colleague of his, Anne Steffens (I think that's her name)...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

no.
              Last edited by kjoe; 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM.
              v

Comment

Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                  yeah---not that the comaprison between burke and paris hilton is that far off the mark---but the pictures are not dignified enough for a Moon Man thread. My bad.
                  v

Comment

On a side note......the JewNews Chanel 4 intro-ed a story on the Pope's arrival for 30 seconds and then went right to a long piece about people abused by priests. No agenda there huh? I wonder if Allen Cohen has to blow the devil every night or just give satan a handie?

(this message does not imply that I dislike all tribesmen, only the one who runs channel 4 in STL, thank you)

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                      On a side note......the JewNews Chanel 4 intro-ed a story on the Pope's arrival for 30 seconds and then went right to a long piece about people abused by priests. No agenda there huh? I wonder if Allen Cohen has to blow the devil every night or just give satan a handie?

(this message does not imply that I dislike all tribesmen, only the one who runs channel 4 in STL, thank you)
                      Well, his Holiness commented on the issue on the plane on his way to the US, so it is kinda like, sorta, news and stuff.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                        Well, his Holiness commented on the issue on the plane on his way to the US, so it is kinda like, sorta, news and stuff.

Moon
                        But they didn't play his comments until AFTER the alterboy/malehooker piece. In fact they made no mention of his comments on the plane and just rolled right into the anti-Catholic stuff.

Comment

Burke scores points at the vatican with anything he can do to clutter up the news while the Pope is visiting.
                          v

Comment

This is one thing I don't get about most Catholics:

Doyle also objected to Burke's contention that he has publicly taken a position contrary to the infallible teachings of the church.
                            "My faith and what I believe, and how I believe is none of his business," he said. "It's personal.
                            Catholicism is not an ethnicity. It's not a requirement. It's an organization with rules and requirements where membership is entirely voluntary. Yes, its claims are lofty - that membership allows for eternal salvation - but it's hardly alone in that. Why, then do people claim, or even want to claim that they're Catholic, yet not want to agree with or abide by the rules that the clergy says membership entails?

Now, if Doyle had said 'Burke's interpretation of canon law is inconsistent with the spirit of the law issued from the Vatican.' or something similar, he might have a valid argument. But, for better or for worse, Burke is the diocesan authority. He is supposed to form and guide the faith and beliefs of area Catholics - that's what he does.

If your belief is Catholic, then it's not personal. If it's personal, then it's not Catholic. I don't agree with Burke (or Catholicism, for that matter), but Doyle can't have it both ways.

-RBB

Comment

Canon Lawyer:

Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
                              Jesus is . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X