It's Santana Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Santana Week

The Big Dipper makes an apperance this coming Saturday in Chicago.

From reading reviews of this tour with Derek Trucks, the set list includes many early faves plus bonus Santana - Trucks jams that so far have included:

In a Silent Way
    Move On Up
    Third Stone From the Sun
    Stairway to Heaven

Can't wait, this is gonna be great!
    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

ENGINE STILL RUNS IN CARLOS
    By DAN AQUILANTE
    April 10, 2008 -- CARLOS SANTANA

EVEN when he's center stage, as he was at Madison Square Garden Tuesday night, rock legend Carlos Santana seems a reluctant star.

Sure, the show at the arena was as much a masterpiece as you'd expect from a legendary band. Timeless Latin rhythms collided head-on with the guitar ace's spacey rip 'n' trip riffs - part rock, part blues - yet, as always, the music wasn't about Carlos; it was about the 10-man Santana ensemble.

Musical switch-ups and unusual combinations such as voice and timbale beats, or brass blasts and guitar whines, all with undercurrents of organ, melted into each other with practiced grace while still lending every tune a jam-band spontaneity.

For the casual Santana fan, the high point was the one-two punch of an extended "Black Magic Woman" that segued into Santana's famous arrangement of Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va." The fans danced, the musicians all soloed, and the two electric tunes together stood as a monument to the band's dual heritage and instrumental prowess.

Hard-core Santanistas looked further than these hits. For them, the concert became special when the opening act's bandleader, Derek Trucks, joined Santana for a mini set. Trucks plays the slide with a jazz aesthetic. Alongside Santana, he somehow conjured Miles Davis' horn in his guitar work. Carlos, who made some very famous recordings with Davis, totally picked up on that vibe - as did the crowd. The pair transformed Dylan's "Hard Rain Gonna Fall" and Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" into instrumentals that brimmed with freedom but never stepped so outside that you lost the melody.

Because Santana is a modest guitarist, it's easy to forget how skilled he and his band are - until they tear the house down, like they did at MSG.
    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Love the Carlos. But can't find his current tours playlist on the internet. Like what you posted but would love to see what his current tour features. He's making a stop in the Lou and my wife and I aren't sure that 7 previous Santana concerts were enough. I might need to pick up a pair for this one as well.
      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I would see Carlos Santana, but not at the Savvis center. I really want to see Derek Trucks as he never brings his band to St. Louis, but not for the price of what it would take for me to enjoy the show.

Comment

wish they would play the fox

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke View Post
            wish they would play the fox

That would be much better, and I've never seen a show at the Scottrade Ctr.

I saw George Thoroughgood at the Fox in 1999, and it was filmed.

I've never seen it for sale...Is it available? I'm sure I got facetime, I was in the 4th row orchestra pit seats.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOnlyTheRiver View Post
              I would see Carlos Santana, but not at the Savvis center. I really want to see Derek Trucks as he never brings his band to St. Louis, but not for the price of what it would take for me to enjoy the show.
              My tickets were $50 for 12th row, but I got my tickets through the fan club and there were no Ticketmaster charges which could add another $10 to $15.

For that you get a 45 minute set of the Trucks Band and in several instances Santana has joined the Trucks band for improv jam. Then you can figure about 2 to 2 and a half hours for the Santana set. Apparently in all shows so far Trucks has joined the Santana band for at least 2 numbers of that set.
              LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan View Post
                Love the Carlos. But can't find his current tours playlist on the internet. Like what you posted but would love to see what his current tour features. He's making a stop in the Lou and my wife and I aren't sure that 7 previous Santana concerts were enough. I might need to pick up a pair for this one as well.
                You can figure 20 songs in the Santana set. These 10 look like they're on all the lists I've seen.

1. Jingo
                2. Batuka
                3. No One to Depend On
                4. Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
                5. Oye Como Va.
                6. Incident at Neshabur
                7. Life is For Living
                8. Yaleo
                9. Smooth
                10. Corazon Espinado

Then you have about 6 or so songs that are from Santana albums but change at every venue.

Then you have 2 or 3 "specials" with Derek Trucks.

Usually 2 encores, one of which is Soul Sacrifice.

People at the Santana Cafe are calling this the "kicking ass and taking names tour."
                LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana View Post
                  My tickets were $50 for 12th row, but I got my tickets through the fan club and there were no Ticketmaster charges which could add another $10 to $15.

For that you get a 45 minute set of the Trucks Band and in several instances Santana has joined the Trucks band for improv jam. Then you can figure about 2 to 2 and a half hours for the Santana set. Apparently in all shows so far Trucks has joined the Santana band for at least 2 numbers of that set.
                  I'll check ticket prices again.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOnlyTheRiver View Post
                    I'll check ticket prices again.
                    Santana has always been good to their fans by not charging the ridiculous prices that many acts do.

I saw where a guy at the Blues forum on the PD that was selling 3 tickets in row D at the Scott for $55 each. This was yesterday, so not sure if they're still available.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=533120
                    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

This is suspiciously cheap.

Comment

Never used Stub Hub, so I don't know what protection you would have. Is it possible because it's a single ticket?
                        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Could be. Debating on that or waiting until a day or two before the show and seeing what I could get.

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana View Post
                            You can figure 20 songs in the Santana set. These 10 look like they're on all the lists I've seen.

1. Jingo
                            2. Batuka
                            3. No One to Depend On
                            4. Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
                            5. Oye Como Va.
                            6. Incident at Neshabur
                            7. Life is For Living
                            8. Yaleo
                            9. Smooth
                            10. Corazon Espinado

Then you have about 6 or so songs that are from Santana albums but change at every venue.

Then you have 2 or 3 "specials" with Derek Trucks.

Usually 2 encores, one of which is Soul Sacrifice.

People at the Santana Cafe are calling this the "kicking ass and taking names tour."
                            Thanks DC. Guess I'll do a little ticket hunting.
                            Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I saw Derek Trucks when he was touring with Eric Clapton last year...the dude was on fire...

Comment

Working...
                              X