Yanks officials foil attempt by BoSox fan to "curse" new stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanks officials foil attempt by BoSox fan to "curse" new stadium

I finf the story to be funny, except for the last sentence, in which it says the Yankees may pursue legal action against the construction worker.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080413/...s_curse_foiled

Yanks unearth Sox jersey at new stadium
    By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 35 minutes ago

NEW YORK - So much for the curse. The New York Yankees have ended a construction worker's attempt to jinx their new stadium with a buried Boston Red Sox jersey.

Team officials watched Sunday as construction workers removed the jersey, with slugger David Ortiz's name on it, from 2 feet of concrete in a service corridor of the stadium that's under construction.

The team says a construction worker — who is a Red Sox fan — recently buried the jersey there while on the job. Two other supervisors found the tattered shirt Saturday.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.
    Make America Great For Once.

At the very least, they should fire the construction worker for being unable to bury a baseball jersey correctly.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

210 - better hire a lawyer.

Comment

What a dumbass.

He should have gone public with it in a year or so. Why? You don't tell anybody about it until after that layer of concrete was built upon.

Comment

A lawsuit? RLY? Why not have some fun with it and turn it into a good PR move?
          The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

The Cardinals dodged a bullet when I came close to jinxing them. Luckily the Post Dispatch does not speak Kjoese, (or maybe they do) and decided not to print my smart-assed letter.

As the movers and shakers struggle to figure out just what to do with the Ballpark Village property, I think they might be missing one obvious solution. They should build a charter school there.

It could operate 12 months a year, A very solid math program could be developed based on the complicated nuances of recording baseball stats. A wide variety of guest lecturers would be available from the national and local media. It would be a feelgood place.

If the Cardinals were the sponsors, their track record indicates that attendance would be good, and they would find unbelievably creative ways to make it profitable.
            v

Comment

I guess the legal stuff has to do with the time and cost involved with removal of the jersey.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke View Post
                I guess the legal stuff has to do with the time and cost involved with removal of the jersey.
                Seeing that the jersey probably had nothing to do with the structural integrity, their decision to dig it up was puirely cosmetic. Therefore they should bear the costs.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Amatuer -

By Paul Sullivan
                  Tribune staff reporter
                  October 26, 2007

As another World Series goes on without the Cubs, the long-awaited plan to level the playing surface at Wrigley Field finally has begun.

And though Geraldo Rivera never found anything when he dug his way into Al Capone's vault at the old Lexington Hotel, Roger Bossard already has hit pay dirt while digging up Wrigley.

Bossard, the White Sox's head groundskeeper who is overseeing the project, said one of the bulldozer drivers tearing up the infield grass Thursday was forced to come to a complete stop between home plate and first base.

"I think I hit a goal post," the driver told Bossard.

Now I will tell the rest of the story

If they check the third base line and go ten feet deep. They will find something else:

A coffin.

If the dig it up they will find a male skeleton in a New York Giant uniform. It will be the skeleton of Fred Merkle.
                  On September 23, 1908 Merkle was the youngest person in the majors at 19 and up to bat with a runner on first and two outs in the bottom of the ninth. His team, the Giants, were tied with the Cubs and Merkle got a solid single to send the runner (McCormick) to third. Sure enough the next batter gets a single and the winning run scores. Merkle, as was the custom, turned and headed toward the dugout but never touched second base. Fans flooded the field.

Johnny Evers the Cubs second baseman - found one or two or three balls. He couldn't find the official ball - because the Giants had already tossed it into the stands. But he kept getting balls from the Cub dugout and tagging second - all the while having to drag umpires with him. Soon the rest of the Cub team got into the act. Hank O'Day the umpire eventually called Merkle out on a force play. Since the fans covered the field the game could not continue.
                  The game was called a tie - it would be made up if necessary. Which of course it would be - with the Cubs winning and taking the World Series after it.

Merkle - would forever be known as bonehead and the play would be called Merkle's boner. Merkle was a Ken Griffey like phenom - who after the play wanted to quit baseball but was talked out of it - although he would never reach his potential. He managed to play in five WS as a player (even one with the Cubs) - all on the losing side - and one as a coach again the losing side.
                  He never forgave the Cubs for the trickery they used to win that game.
                  Merkle never gave interviews about the play and carried his anger to his grave - or so people thought.

As a ten year old in East St. Louis I often wondered exactly what my step dad - kept in the shed out back in a pine wood box will several pad locks on it. Year after year it collected nothing but dust - but we couldn't throw it out or even sit on it. Then on September 9, 1969 my step dad slid that dusty old box onto a trailer. Hitched that trailer to his red 63 Chevy Impala. Told my mom that the boy would be making a quick trip with him to Chicago that day and we would be back tomorrow.
                  Man was I excited, I had never been to Chicago, plus I knew it would mean I would get the chance to talk baseball with my dad the whole way.
                  We talked about Curt Flood holding out, and Gibson's book from Ghetto to Glory, and Roger Maris, and Babe Ruth, and Stan the Man, and the Red head. But mostly we talked about the spirit of fair play and earning your victory on the field.
                  Man those 5 hours flew by - and I found myself in Chicago in no time. We got a bite to eat - checked in to a hotel then went to the North side where it was just getting dark. We were able to drive that Cardinal red Impala right into the gates and on the field at Wrigley. This only added to my excitement because my dad was not a rule breaker. He circled the field 4 times and finally the car came to a stop between third base and home plate.
                  My dad got out of the car unhitched the trailer and while it was still light, gave me a shovel and together we started digging right on the third base line near home plate.
                  We made a hole 7 feet long and three feet wide - exactly. It was exactly 10 feet deep and my dad kept checking the measurements. The pine box fit snuggle but went all the way down. My dad let me read a letter he had in his pocket it said:

"Wilson,
                  If you are reading this the Cubs must be acting like they might win something. Well don't let em. Remember they don't deserve another championship for at least 100 years - maybe 200 - maybe never. There are somethings grown men should not do to a 19 year old ball player and to the fans of their team. I did my best to keep them down and since I've gone on its up to you now.

Bury me 10 feet deep on the third base line of Wrigley Field. Make a whole 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. In life the Cubs gave me the name bonehead - in my death I will use my bones to get inside their head. No matter what they do - they will not score the winning run for a World Series winner as long as my bones guard home plate.

With that, my dad gave me the letter, and told me to never lose it. He also told me before he died - that if they ever leave Wrigley I would have to go get the box and move it.

My son is 6 now - I figure we got 4 years.

One last thing - as soon as we finished we turned on the radio and the Cubs - Mets game. They were going on and on about a Black cat....
                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

cool story, who is it from?

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke View Post
                      cool story, who is it from?
                      It's from me -

I've come to quote me quite often.

I'm my own Leon.
                      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Yankees' fans have no sense of humor.
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                          Seeing that the jersey probably had nothing to do with the structural integrity, their decision to dig it up was puirely cosmetic. Therefore they should bear the costs.
                          truthfully it sounded like the other workers weren't too thrilled about it. and i don't quite blame them. if i was working on something, i would want to do my job the right way and not leave trash behind.

either way, the only good that will come out of this attention whore's plans are that the jersey will be auctioned off for charity

Comment

They paid union workers for seven hours on a Sunday to dig up a fucking shirt.

I am very happy that the Yankees found someone that was a bigger fucking idiot than King George was to run the team.

Comment

Just saw the video and it wasn't even a real Red Sawx jersey -- it was a lame home one with Ortiz's name on the back...it didn't even have the piping around the numbers, either...

The one "buried" --

And the real one --

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X