• Show
Clear All

• GDT 4/13: Cardinals (9-3) at Giants (4-8), Pineiro v. Lincecum, 3:05 CT

Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Pineiro, Cards look to put bow on trip
    St. Louis (9-3) at San Francisco (4-8), Sunday, 3:05 p.m. CT
    By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Regardless of how Sunday's game at AT&T Park turns out, the Cardinals have had a successful trip. They've already won four games, won a series and guaranteed at least a split of another. But with a win in Joel Pineiro's season debut, the 2008 Cardinals will put themselves on a short list in the history of the franchise.
    A win would make the Cardinals 10-3 on the season, equaling the best 13-game start in franchise history. Seven previous editions have won 10 of their first 13, most recently the 1982 club. Of those seven teams, three won the World Series.

More immediately, though, the Cardinals will be going for four series wins in four tries, and that's the kind of number that warms manager Tony La Russa's heart.

"That's one of Tony's big deals," said outfielder Ryan Ludwick. "Win each series. Thus far we've done that, and we've put ourselves in a situation where we can win another one."

Pineiro, who sustained discomfort below his right shoulder in the lat muscle during Spring Training, will make his first big league start of the year in the road-trip finale. He pitched very well in his rehabilitation start for Triple-A Memphis.

He'll have a tough opponent in right-hander Tim Lincecum, who emerged as one of the league's top rookies in 2007. But with the good feeling the Cards have going these days, they won't be daunted.

"There's no doubt in my mind we're going to be ready to play tomorrow," La Russa said Saturday afternoon. "Which, at the end of a road trip after a night in San Francisco, I don't know that everybody would be able to say."

Pitching matchup
    STL: RHP Joel Pineiro (2008 debut)
    Pineiro pitched well enough and felt good enough that he'll make his first regular-season start after only one Minor League rehab appearance. He was extremely sharp in that game, recovering after a shaky first inning to put up a solid outing. The Cardinals have emphasized aggressiveness with the fastball for Pineiro, and in his first go-round in St. Louis, it worked beautifully. If he can repeat his '07 Cardinals performance in '08, he'll be a major asset.

SF: RHP Tim Lincecum (1-0, 1.80 ERA)
    Lincecum bequeathed a 2-1 lead to the bullpen last Tuesday against San Diego in his most recent outing, which lasted six innings. But closer Brian Wilson allowed a ninth-inning run to blow the save and Lincecum's victory. Lincecum struck out seven in that game and now has 11 in 10 innings. He defeated the Cardinals in his only career appearance against them, allowing three runs in six innings in a 7-6 Giants win last July 7.

Tidbits
    The Cardinals have lost three series openers, and no other games. ... Pineiro has never pitched at AT&T Park. ... Since joining the Cardinals, Ryan Ludwick has 43 extra-base hits in 333 at-bats, with a .505 slugging percentage. In his previous 334 big league at-bats, he had 31 extra-base hits and a .416 slugging percentage. ... Dating back to last season, the Cardinals have won nine of their last 13 road games.

Tickets
    Buy tickets now to catch the game in person.

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • KSDK 5

On radio
    • KTRS 550

Up next
    • Monday: Off-day
    • Tuesday: Cardinals (Braden Looper, 2-0, 3.09) vs. Brewers (TBD), 7:15 p.m. CT
    • Wednesday: Cardinals (Adam Wainwright, 1-1, 3.60) vs. Brewers (Carlos Villanueva, 1-1, 4.76), 7:15 p.m. CT

Comment

Comment

Her name is Kiki Pineiro. I wonder if she's related to today's starting pitcher?

Go Cards!!!
        --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
        --Suck it cubbies.
        --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

What a psycho. Joel's uncle Gerardo?
          --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

And the honorable Frank Pineiro....

I like this guy's attitude. Joel will be fine if he takes Frank's advice.
            --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Some folks have managed to ghey up the GDT, which is a hard feat...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

getaway day with an off day tomorrow...

most likely no pujols, no glaus...
                probably uncle rico's first (and maybe only) start...

Comment

Schu LF
                  Miles SS
                  Ank CF
                  Luda RF
                  Dunc 1B
                  Uncle Rico 3B
                  Molina C
                  Jor-El P
                  AK 2B
                  Official Lounge Sponsor
                  Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

I was wondering when Pujols would get a day off.
                    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Glad I went to the game yesterday and not today.
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Holy hell, I was hoping y'all were kidding about the lineup.

Comment

Skip starts it with a double!
                          Time for change

Comment

Oh dear God. I think TLR does that just to spite me sometimes.

Comment

nice shades!
                              Time for change

Comment

Working...
                              X