Cardinals(Wellemeyer) vs Giants(Cain) 4:05 edt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals(Wellemeyer) vs Giants(Cain) 4:05 edt

Albert Pujols appears to have found his rhythm at the plate.
    The All-Star first baseman hopes to continue his hot streak Saturday when the St. Louis Cardinals play the third game of their four-game set against the San Francisco Giants.

Pujols has been on a torrid pace over the last three games, hitting 6-for-12 with three homers and seven RBIs. His recent power surge came after he endured the longest season-opening homer drought of his career, while going 8-for-25 (.320) with one RBI.

Pujols went 2-for-5 on Friday with a three-run shot and an RBI double as the Cardinals (8-3) won 8-2 at San Francisco (4-7), a night after a 5-1 series-opening loss.

Pujols is hitting .409 (18-for-44) with three homers -- all at AT&T Park -- and 13 RBIs in his last 11 games against the Giants.

"There's only a few hitters like him in the game," Cardinals rookie left fielder Brian Barton said. "His approach to the game is remarkable. I love watching him prepare, and I try to emulate some of what he does."

Barton and Skip Schumaker may have helped spur Pujols' season-high RBI total on Friday by combining to go 5-for-10 with Schumaker scoring four times, while hitting in front of the 2005 NL MVP.

"You get guys on base, as tough as (Pujols) is, it's hard to give him four balls," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "You have to credit Skip and Brian."

Schumaker has shaken off a slow start to the season by going 9-for-18 with two doubles, a triple and seven runs over the last four games. The right fielder is 9-for-15 (.600) with a homer and seven runs in his last five games against the Giants.

The Cardinals' Todd Wellemeyer (1-0, 2.25 ERA) is looking for another strong start, but hopes his teammates can continue to generate runs after they produced none to help him in his last outing.

The right-hander allowed two runs and five hits with seven strikeouts in seven innings Monday as St. Louis lost 5-3 at Houston. That performance came after he limited reigning NL champion Colorado to one run and four hits while fanning six in five innings of an 8-3 victory on April 2.

Wellemeyer won his only career start against San Francisco on July 8, giving up two hits in five innings of a 7-0 victory.

The Giants send Matt Cain (0-1, 3.60) to the mound for his first start against St. Louis.

The right-hander has been erratic through two starts this season. He allowed five runs and seven hits, including a homer, with five walks and as many strikeouts in 4 1-3 innings of an 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. That was in stark contrast to his season debut on April 1 when he allowed three hits with five strikeouts in 5 2-3 innings of San Francisco's 3-2 loss at Los Angeles.

Bengie Molina, who had the night off Friday, is 7-for-17 with two homers and six RBIs over the last four games. The catcher leads the Giants with three homers and eight RBIs.

Despite his strong showing, Molina is still only hitting .227 (5-for-22) against the Cards.
    Last edited by 007; 04-12-2008, 02:10 PM. Reason: formatting
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Great to see the Cards off to a good start with some new, younger faces playing key roles. Keep it up.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

I am going to this game. GO CARDINALS!
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
        Have fun! I'll try to find you in the stands when I'm watching. Oh wait, WE DON'T GET THE FUCKING GAME ON TV. Dammit, this really pisses me off.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Keep your head down. I know how those Giant fans can be to people that root for the opposing team.
          The Redman

Sponsorship Available
          Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

You know how you can tell things are going real good for the Cardinals right now?

Cesar Izturis has a .405 OBP.
            Official Lounge Sponsor
            Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

This will be the first time the Cardinals have ever faced Matt Cain.
              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                Have fun! I'll try to find you in the stands when I'm watching. Oh wait, WE DON'T GET THE FUCKING GAME ON TV. Dammit, this really pisses me off.

++

Why not not show some random weekday game...not a freaking Saturday afternoon game when people can, you know, actually watch?
                Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                  You know how you can tell things are going real good for the Cardinals right now?

Cesar Izturis has a .405 OBP.
                  would that one dude have been caught stealing last night if izturis had held onto the ball? it seems like he would have, but I only saw the play once.

Comment

would that one dude have been caught stealing last night if izturis had held onto the ball? it seems like he would have, but I only saw the play once.
                    Did that guy score?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The Lounge is holding you personally responsible for a Cards win tonight.

Now relax and have fun.
                      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

No TV, no pin??

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

We'll have to keep bumping the thread until someone pins it.

Wow, sole possession of first place. I plan to enjoy this while it lasts.
                          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            Did that guy score?
                            oh well I don't know. No?

Comment

oh well I don't know. No?
                              Nope, he was stranded...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X