Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China to use rockets to prevent rain during olympics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China to use rockets to prevent rain during olympics.

Send some rockets this way.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080411/...ics_weather_dc

Operation Beijing storm: rockets target rain Fri Apr 11, 1:41 AM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - China is preparing an arsenal of rockets and aircraft to protect the Olympics opening ceremony from rain, hoping to disperse clouds before they can drench dignitaries at the roofless "bird's nest" stadium.

Officials believe there is a 47 percent probability of rain during the August 8 opening ceremony and a 6 percent chance of a heavy downpour and will try to drain humidity from clouds before they reach Beijing.

More than 100 staff at 21 stations surrounding the city will have 10 minutes' notice to fire rockets or cannons containing silver iodide at approaching clouds in the hope of making them rain before they reach the stadium. Three aircraft will also be on stand-by to drop catalysts to unleash rain from the clouds.

"We've worked with neighboring provinces on a contingency plan for rainstorm and other weather risks during the ceremonies," said Wang Yubin, the deputy chief of China's meteorological service assigned to the Olympics.

The government has spent $500,000 to build up Beijing's cloud seeding capacities over the last five years and authorities will conduct practice runs in June and July. It typically uses pellets of silver iodide, which is highly insoluble in water and can concentrate moisture to cause rain.

Zhang Qiang, head of Beijing's Weather Modification Office, believed her staff can fend off drizzle, but could be powerless in the face of a heavy downpour.

"I hope God will not send any storms to Beijing," she said.
    Make America Great For Once.

This whole thing is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
      The old man is heading back to China on Sunday and keeps talking about going to the Olympics. Generally when people start thinking something bad is going to happen I laugh it off as typical nancy boy syndrome. But I don't know about this one. I'm starting think he may want to skip the games.

It be some serious shit luck to come back home and win the fight against the cancers only to go back to China to get his ass blown up by some wild Chinese weather rocket or the Chinese Taliban.

Comment

Over/under on Zhang Qiang? I say she doesn't live to see the 2012 Olympics.

Comment

They can predict rain chances all the way to august but we have no clue WTF it will do in STL this weekend.
          Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

47% chance of rain in August?

1. Who has ever heard there be that percentage before?

2. They can't tell what it will be doing a few days from now so what does China have that we don't when it comes to knowing what the weather will be like?
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I assume they just study the past 100 years of weather data and project it out based on that season and the norms.

Still funny to read that in April.
              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Dave Murray must be working for China's Olympic Organizing Committee.
                Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

In China, you better have the forecast right, and it better be precise, or they violate your human rights. Here in America you are only made fun of.
                  Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
                  Jesus is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                    That was my thought when I read the article. I could see this cause more serious problems than having a wet ceremony.

If we weren't all crazy we would go insane

Comment

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

can they do this over the SLYSA fields so we can get some soccer games in?
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                        X