No announcement yet.

GDT: (W) Cardinals (7-3) at San Francisco (4-6) - 9:15pm CT - Lohse vs. Zito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: (W) Cardinals (7-3) at San Francisco (4-6) - 9:15pm CT - Lohse vs. Zito

St. Louis (7-3) at San Francisco (4-6)
    Preview | Box Score | Recap
    Currently: San Francisco, CA
    Temp: 50° F Game info: 10:15 pm EDT Fri Apr 11, 2008TV: FSMW, CSBAAdd to Calendar | Buy Tickets By MATT BECKER, STATS Writer
    4 hours, 26 minutes ago
    Buzz Up
    Print
    Just days ago, it appeared this was going to be a long and trying season for the San Francisco Giants. That may not be the case anymore.

The Giants look to win their fourth straight game on Friday when they continue their four-game set against the St. Louis Cardinals at AT&T Park.

After losing six of its first seven games to start the year, San Francisco (4-6) has won three straight, including a 5-1 victory over the Cardinals in Thursday’s series opener.

Left fielder Fred Lewis doubled, tripled and scored twice, and will now likely see an increase in his playing time. The Giants announced after Thursday’s game that outfielder Dave Roberts will undergo left knee surgery Saturday and could miss significant time.

Series at a Glance
    St. Louis 1
    San Francisco 5
    Thu, Apr 10 - Final
    St. Louis at
    San Francisco
    Fri, Apr 11 - 10:15 pm ET
    St. Louis at
    San Francisco
    Sat, Apr 12 - 4:05 pm ET
    St. Louis at
    San Francisco
    Sun, Apr 13 - 4:05 pm ET
    “I hate that Dave’s out,” Lewis said. “He’s one of my teammates. It means I’m going to get a lot of playing time and hopefully help the team get as many wins as possible.”

The Giants’ pitching staff is in the midst of a remarkable turnaround, having yielded three total runs during the winning streak after allowing an average of 6.0 runs in the season’s first seven games. San Francisco had gone 19 innings without allowing a run before St. Louis’ Troy Glaus hit a ninth-inning RBI double Thursday.

Now that the Giants’ pitching staff is rounding into form, Barry Zito (0-2, 6.30 ERA) attempts to get out of his early season funk when he takes the ball Friday.

Zito gave up five runs - three earned - and eight hits in Sunday’s 7-0 loss to Milwaukee, his second defeat in as many outings. The left-hander also opened 2007 with losses in each of his first two starts. He has not begun a season with three consecutive defeats since 2005, with Oakland.

In his only start against the Cardinals (7-3) last season on July 8, Zito gave up six runs - five earned - eight hits and four walks in four innings of a 7-0 loss at St. Louis. The 2002 AL Cy Young Award winner is 0-1 with a 7.00 ERA in two career starts versus the Cardinals.

St. Louis had won seven of eight before Thursday’s series-opening loss.

The Cardinals have lost five of six to the Giants since the start of last season.

Albert Pujols, who was 1-for-3 on Thursday, is batting only .256 (20-for-78) in 20 career games at AT&T Park - his lowest batting average at any NL stadium.

Kyle Lohse (1-0, 0.00) looks to continue his impressive start to the season when he takes the mound for St. Louis on Friday.

Lohse signed with the Cardinals on March 18, after going 9-12 with a 4.62 ERA with Cincinnati and Philadelphia last season. The right-hander is now a vital part of the Cardinals’ surprising starting rotation, which has a 2.35 ERA.

After allowing three hits in five scoreless innings of a 2-1 win over Colorado on April 1, Lohse gave up four hits and one walk in seven innings of a 3-0 win over Washington on Sunday.

“If he pitches like that all year, he could spoil us,” St. Louis manager Tony La Russa told the team’s official Web site.

Lohse has not faced the Giants since 2006. He is 1-2 with a 4.95 ERA in three career starts against San Francisco.

Send
    Print
    Updated 4 hours, 26 minutes ago
    Team Comparison
    Team Record Standings Away/Home Streak L10
    St. Louis 7-3 1st Central Away 2-2 Lost 1 7-3
    San Francisco 4-6 5th West Home 3-1 Won 3 4-6
    Notes

RHP Braden Looper has not allowed a home run to Houston in 71 1/3 innings after Wednesday's game. He is the lone active pitcher to not allow a home run to Houston with a minimum of 50 innings pitched. ... 1B Albert Pujols, who homered twice and singled Wednesday, is the only Cardinal to reach base in every game this season. He now has 21 multi-home run games. ... RHP Joel Pineiro pitched six innings and allowed two runs on six hits in a rehab start at Class AAA Memphis Tuesday night. He's recovering from right shoulder capsulitis. ... St. Louis won its third straight series after taking two of three from Houston.
    TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Prediction:

Cardinals 9, Giants 2

HR:
    STL - Pujols, Duncan, Ankiel, Glaus
    SF - Molina, Aurilia

WP: Lohse (2-0)

OOH: Pujols (3 hits, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs), Duncan (2 hits), Schumaker (2 hits)
    TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

I hate those punks.....

Just getting ready for the Cubs.

Lets Go Cards.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Are you guys out of your fucking minds? Just wait'll you get a load of Zito's blazing 83 mph heater.

He's gonna announce his presence with authority.

Oh lord...someone just shoot me now.
        Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
        Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
        Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
        "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

"I hate that Dave's out" my ass. Fred Lewis is flipping cartwheels.
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
            "I hate that Dave's out" my ass. Fred Lewis is flipping cartwheels.
            I thought the same thing. What he meant was," I'm glad that broke ass nag is out. It means more PT for ME!"
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I would think we could get to Zito.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I would think a Little League club could get to Zito these days. But we'll see.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Zito reminds me of Morris. He'll suck suck suck and then put together a game like he's double parked. I don't want to be the team who plays against him when he's double parked. Is it that way or do I have a misguided impression?

Comment

the Cards are 0-1 when i listen to the game in bed.

i shall get back on my duties tonight and watch the game drinking beer. that has seemed to work.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Shula View Post
                      the Cards are 0-1 when i listen to the game in bed.

i shall get back on my duties tonight and watch the game drinking beer. that has seemed to work.

Sheesh. I just hope I can stay awake for this shindig...This has been one long ass week.
                      Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

FYI...TLR has already said Barton will start tonight .vs Zito...either at leadoff or hitting 2nd. And he will also likely start Sunday as well.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor
                        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

I must take part of the blame for the loss last night. I didn't wear any Cardinal gear while listening to the game. I will be decked out in red tonight.....
                          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I wore my 2006 Cards WS sweatshirt.

Comment

The search for a bat begins...now

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X