Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guys at RotoWorld have the right idea

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerp...rt=MLB&id=3165

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

So I guess Backe yelled at Albert because of the way he slid into home the other night? I was surprised no one drilled him.

Maybe they shouldn't have pissed him off.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I thought I heard Al saying somthing but I didn't know what he was talking about and I must have missed this story. Anyone got a link to a more in depth story?
      Of course you do.

Comment

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bir...-lots-of-talk/

Comment

Is there a video of the play somewhere?
          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

With the way Ankiel's been hitting, any coincidence that Albert saw better pitches with Ankiel batting 4th?

Comment

Haven't the Astros learned about Pujols? At some point I expect him to pick up that whole bandbox of a stadium and just break it over his knee.

Somewhere, Brad Lidge is have flashbacks.
              "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
              – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy View Post
                ESPN showed the clip on Sportscenter and basically dismissed Backe as a whiny bitch.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I just saw the replay on mlbtv and it was from the houston feed......during the play they just said they were shocked Towles caught the ball since Albert took his legs out.

They showed it a minute later and said that "Pujols making sure he took towles out with that slide"...thats it.

However, I saw it and from all angles and it appeared to be uncalled for. He had a clear path to the plate. But it wasnt that vicious and not hard enough to hurt anyone.

He didnt need to do it but I am sure he did it because he was afraid he was going to be tagged out.
                  Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

From what I gather - Pujols took out Towles legs on a slide even though Towles was off the plate. Pujols later realized that wasn't a nice thing to do so he called the Astro Clubhouse to apologize to Towles. For some reason Backe got pissed about the phone call. Somehow Backe's reaction to the call got back to Pujols which pissed off Pujols. Pujols confronts Backe during batting practice which sets him off because he (Backe) felt violated. Backe starts talking and puts his foot in his mouth. Pujols hits two homeruns in the game and the low hanging fruit is there for sports writers everywhere. The 08 Astros Suck. The End.

This one is much better

HOUSTON -- Apparently, Brandon Backe and Albert Pujols aren't the best of friends. They've never liked each other, but until Wednesday, that was one of the better-kept secrets surrounding the mostly friendly rivalry between the Astros and Cardinals.

Pujols and Backe exchanged words as the Astros exited the field during batting practice prior to the series finale at Minute Maid Park. Pujols stopped Backe as the two crossed paths near first base, and, according to Backe, expressed his dissatisfaction that Backe "kept pressing on" about an incident that happened during Tuesday's game.

"[I was] coming off the field and he approached me," Backe said. "I don't know. It's apparent that we don't like each other. That's OK. There's plenty of people I don't like in this game. It doesn't matter. It's baseball. It's the way it goes. The competition between he and I just escalated and it's OK. It's no big deal. This is what makes it fun."

No physical contact was made as the two exchanged words. Manager Cecil Cooper stood nearby, as did several players from both teams.

The altercation between Pujols and Backe stemmed from an incident that did not involve Backe, but did affect one of his teammates. During the eighth inning on Tuesday, Pujols and rookie catcher J.R. Towles collided at the plate as Pujols scored the Cardinals' fifth run. Pujols slid hard into Towles, and while at first glance it appeared to be a clean play, not everyone took it that way.

Pujols called Towles from the visitors' clubhouse after the game to apologize.

"We talked, and there are no hard feelings," Towles said. "It's over with. At the time, I thought I gave him enough of the plate. Everybody else thought the same thing.

"Maybe it's one of those things -- he said that he didn't think he was that close and at that last second he saw me about to catch the ball. He said he didn't want to make an out at the plate. It's one of those things they teach him to do. I accepted his apology. Today's a new day."

Backe said he thought "it was great" that Pujols called Towles. "I thought it showed something. I thought he realized he could have gone a different route. I think that's what it showed."

Backe was emphatic about his belief that Pujols' slide into home "wasn't a very good play," but his anger on Wednesday wasn't about the play as much as it was about Pujols' decision to confront him on the field.

Backe appeared to grow angrier as his conversation with Pujols progressed.

"Because I felt violated," Backe said. "I felt like he confronted me at the wrong time. I don't think it was very professional on his part. It's OK. Cooper was there, and he heard everything. It wasn't going to go any farther than what it did. He had to say his piece to me, I said my piece to him and that's it."

Cooper declined to comment. Pujols had little to say to reporters as he left the field following batting practice, but he did attempt to downplay both the slide and the incident at first base.

"I don't want to talk about it," Pujols said. "I already dealt with it, and I already apologized to the guy. He knew he was going to block the plate, and I don't need to talk about it. Come on. You guys don't need to make this thing bigger and make a bigger deal out of it."

Approached before the game, Pujols had declined to talk about the slide, saying, "I thought we were going to talk about something important."

Manager Tony La Russa, meanwhile, was mystified that there was any issue on the Astros' part. He argued that Towles didn't allow Pujols any place to slide, and that the slugger took the path of least resistance into home plate.

"There wasn't anything wrong with his slide," La Russa said. "I didn't see any finger-pointing during the game, and I haven't heard anything from the other side. Maybe it was TV that raised something. ... The kid is not giving you anything to slide at. So what we teach is, you slide in and you kick his legs out."

After the confrontation between Pujols and Backe, La Russa and Pujols both spoke with Astros veteran catcher Brad Ausmus. La Russa said that he made the same point to Ausmus that he made to reporters: Pujols was not attempting to take anyone out, but was taking the only option to get to home plate.

"There isn't anything there that is any way questionable," he said. The bad blood between Backe and Pujols may go back several years.

According to a source close to the team, Pujols took issue with the premature jubilation spilling over in the Astros' dugout during Game 5 of the NLCS. Pujols won the game for the Cardinals with a three-run homer off Brad Lidge and later commented that Backe was "already popping the champagne" before the Astros had sealed the win.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZ View Post
                      Haven't the Astros learned about Pujols? At some point I expect him to pick up that whole bandbox of a stadium and just break it over his knee.

Somewhere, Brad Lidge is have flashbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy View Post
                        Here's a still image from the video. Pujols was clearly well in front of the plate.

Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Geez, TLR needs glasses then.
                          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Just his typical defending of his player.

My guess is he talked to Albert behind closed doors and convinced him to call and apologize. Why else would AP do that if he thought he was right?
                            Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

If this had been Fat Elvis sliding into Yadi, STL would be in an uproar. I love Albert, but he didn't have to take out his leg.
                              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                              X