Basketball Hall of Famers announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball Hall of Famers announced

Adrian Dantley, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem/Akeem Olajuwon, Pat Riley, Carol Rush and Dickie V

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

When I glanced at this title, I swore it said 'Basketball Hall of Flamers announced.'

I need some sleep.
    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Dukie V is a Hall of Famer for being a loudmouth?

Nice.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
        Dukie V is a Hall of Famer for being a loudmouth?

Nice.
        This opens the door for Stephen A. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
          This opens the door for Stephen A. Smith
          Great.

Comment

Only The Dream, Ewing and Riley deserve it.

Dantley was a very good player and Dickie V. is...Dickie V.

I have no idea who Carol Rush is.
            His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
            Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Very happy to see the only guy to ever bring a championship home for one of my teams make the hall of fame.

David Robinson should do his introduction speech and talk about the time Hakeem took his ass apart in the Western Conf. Finals.

One could argue the greatest centers for the most recent generation were Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson and Ewing. While Shaq will go down as the best of the 4 Hakeem is the only guy to take down his peers in the playoffs.

Comment

While I have no love for Dickie V. as an announcer, he is a great ambassador for the Jimmy V fund and the work they do for cancer. He goes off on that tangent quite a bit, but you really can't bitch about that.

Comment

I have a problem with Dickie V.

He's a hype machine. Does anyone remember any analysis from him?

You remember awesome baby - but what about inside out play or stats?

Since he's not the play by play guy - isn't that his job? Can't these poor eyes pick out what is awesome and what is not?

He's a character of himself - I don't think in the long run he's good for the sport. Have you ever tuned into something because he was going to be speaking. I'd much rather hear what Bob Knight - or Jay Bilas or Trey Wingo has to say than Dickie V.

Just my thoughts.
                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Glovey View Post
                    While I have no love for Dickie V. as an announcer, he is a great ambassador for the Jimmy V fund and the work they do for cancer. He goes off on that tangent quite a bit, but you really can't bitch about that.
                    Good for him. Doesn't mean he should be in the HOF though.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                      I have a problem with Dickie V.

He's a hype machine. Does anyone remember any analysis from him?

You remember awesome baby - but what about inside out play or stats?

Since he's not the play by play guy - isn't that his job? Can't these poor eyes pick out what is awesome and what is not?

He's a character of himself - I don't think in the long run he's good for the sport. Have you ever tuned into something because he was going to be speaking. I'd much rather hear what Bob Knight - or Jay Bilas or Trey Wingo has to say than Dickie V.

Just my thoughts.
                      I had ESPN on the other night and they were doing some pregame stuff with Bobby Knight and Dick Vitale. Knight was speaking and was really providing some thoughtful analysis. V tried to interrupt him at least 3 times but Bobby just kept talking. It was pretty funny actually. I'm sure Bobby Knight couldn't give a fuck about what Dick Vitale has to say.

Comment

I had ESPN on the other night and they were doing some pregame stuff with Bobby Knight and Dick Vitale. Knight was speaking and was really providing some thoughtful analysis. V tried to interrupt him at least 3 times but Bobby just kept talking. It was pretty funny actually. I'm sure Bobby Knight couldn't give a fuck about what Dick Vitale has to say.
                        Say what you want about Bobby Knight, but IMO he's head and shoulders above Dickie V and Digger. He makes those two look like clowns when it comes to talking about the game.
                        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Knight lobbied voters on behalf of Vitale.

Anyway, to me Vitale should in the Hall o Fame for the same reason John Madden should be in the football Hall--no one has done more to promote college basketball over the last 30 years than he has. He isn't going in as an announcer (although he has already won the Curt Gowdy media award), he's going in as a contributor to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by CD View Post
                            Knight lobbied voters on behalf of Vitale.

Anyway, to me Vitale should in the Hall o Fame for the same reason John Madden should be in the football Hall--no one has done more to promote college basketball over the last 30 years than he has. He isn't going in as an announcer (although he has already won the Curt Gowdy media award), he's going in as a contributor to the sport.
                            Madden also was a championship coach and a seminal football analyst.
                            His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                            Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

I'll go against the consensus -- I'm glad they honored Vitale. Few people have done more to promote the college game. And his style, for better or worse, revolutionized sports analysis. He's unique. And if they're going to open the HOF to folks besides players and coachers, I think he's deserving.
                              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X