X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Peavy = Kenny Rogers?

Story

Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

I actually saw that during the game. Looked very odd. Also, his hat was faded on the bill like Kenny's.
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Padres manager Bud Black defended Jake Peavy on Sunday, saying a dark substance on his right hand after a game against the Dodgers on Saturday was just a mix of dirt and rosin.

The sports Web site, www.thebiglead.com, posted images Sunday it said were sent by a reader after Peavy tossed a two-hitter in a 4-1 win over Los Angeles. The images, purportedly still frame shots from a TV broadcast of the game, show a dark substance on Peavy’s right thumb, index and middle fingers.

“When you play baseball, your hands get dirty,” Black said Sunday. “He had dirty hands. Trying to keep his palms and fingers dry, you apply rosin and dirt. Rosin is a sticky substance, and as often as he goes to the rosin bag, as often as he goes to the dirt to sop up moisture, your hands get dirty.

“I don’t think there is anything to it. Modern cameras can pick up a dirty hand.”

Peavy (2-0) has allowed just one run in 16 innings over two starts this year. The right-hander won the NL Cy Young Award last season.

“There’s nothing on my hands that’s not supposed to be,” Peavy told the San Diego Union-Tribune for a blog entry on its Web site. “I thought it was funny that it was such a big deal. I’ve got no problems with anytime anybody needs to check me.”
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

I'm glad we don't play San Diego anytime soon. Birds on the Bat would detonate.
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

If it's so normal, then every pitcher should have dirty hands, yes? Are we focusing on this guy just because he is pitching really well, and the media is looking for a story?

Moon

Comment

That's funny, his curveball fingers and thumb just happened to be the only parts of his hand that got dirty.
            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Peavy is the best pitcher in the National League right now - why would he have to cheat?

Signed Andy Pettite and Roger Clemens
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I wish I could invent clear pinetar. I would get really rich.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I joke about Pettite and Clemens -

My guess is - everybody does it.
                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues View Post
                    That's funny, his curveball fingers and thumb just happened to be the only parts of his hand that got dirty.
                    Ding ding ding. Tough to explain that one. Too bad reporters don't press him on that point.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of the Fab Four

2009 MVC Freshmen of the Year & their Capt.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                      I wish I could invent clear pinetar. I would get really rich.

Comment

they should use that instead.
                        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                          Hmmm, very interesting. When you rosin your pitching hand, it does just stick to the main fingers involved. Your whole hand would be covered. Additionally, when you rub the ball, you would have more coverage of this substance. When I pitched and used a rosin bag, I never had buildup on my hand like this. Me thinks Phil Neikro would be proud ............
                          Official Sponsor Of
                          The $1.5MM Holliday cash back bonus, The "Buy Out DeWitt" campaign, and New Orleans, LA

Comment

Working...
                          X