GDT: (L) Cards @ Astros, 6:05pm, FSMW & FSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: (L) Cards @ Astros, 6:05pm, FSMW & FSH

The performance of their starting rotation was a big reason for the St. Louis Cardinals’ disappointing 2007.

So far in 2008, an impressive turnaround by the rotation has led to a solid start for the Cardinals, who look to win six straight for the first time in more than a year Monday, when they begin a three-game series with the Houston Astros.

After opening the season with a 2-1 loss to Colorado, St. Louis (5-1) has won five straight, including a three-game home sweep of Washington over the weekend. Kyle Lohse pitched seven innings of Sunday’s 3-0 win to lower the ERA of St. Louis’ starters to 0.96.

“(Manager Tony LaRussa’s) talked to us about not taking a night off or day off, and I think that’s what we’ve done,” Lohse said. “Even in spring training, from what I saw, guys were out there playing the game the right way. We’ve won some tight games at home, and that’s what it takes.”
    Series at a Glance
    1. St. Louis at
      Houston
      Mon, Apr 7 - 7:05 pm ET
    2. St. Louis at
      Houston
      Tue, Apr 8 - 8:05 pm ET
    3. St. Louis at
      Houston
      Wed, Apr 9 - 8:05 pm ET

Rick Ankiel drove in two runs with an RBI double in the first inning and a solo home run in the third for the Cardinals.
    St. Louis’ starting rotation, which had the sixth-highest ERA in the majors last season at 5.04, has accounted for all five wins this season, beginning with Todd Wellemeyer’s victory last Wednesday against Colorado.

Wellemeyer (1-0, 1.80 ERA) pitched five innings in that 8-3 win, allowing one run and four hits while striking out six.
    Wellemeyer, who made 11 starts and nine relief appearances for St. Louis last season after being acquired off waivers from Kansas City in May, is 1-0 with a 5.27 ERA in six relief appearances and one start against the Astros (2-5).

The right-hander’s only start against them came last Sept. 27, when he allowed one hit in five scoreless innings but did not receive a decision in a 4-3 win.

He’ll now try to lead St. Louis to its longest winning streak since a seven-game run from July 7-16, 2006 - a streak which began with three wins at Houston.

The Astros are looking to avoid a third straight loss after dropping the final two games of their weekend set with the Cubs in Chicago, including a 3-2 defeat on Sunday.

Miguel Tejada’s first home run with Houston tied the game in the top of the seventh, but Chicago’s Derrek Lee homered in the bottom of the inning for the winning run.

“We didn’t hit enough to have the runs we need, but it’s OK,” Tejada told the Astros’ official Web site. “It’s bad because we lost, but when you play
    close games like this, it means we played a good game.”

Wandy Rodriguez (0-0, 7.20) takes the ball for the Astros in the series opener.

The left-hander allowed four runs and eight hits in five innings against the Padres last Wednesday, but escaped without a decision as the Astros went on to win 9-6.

Rodriguez is 1-4 with a 6.59 ERA in five career starts and one relief appearance against the Cardinals.

St. Louis slugger Albert Pujols is 0-for-9 lifetime versus Rodriguez - the most career at-bats without a hit for Pujols against any major league pitcher.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Thanks Gup -

The early answer to question one is in - we can play a little at home. Can we play on the road is the next question. We play a Houston team and the Giants. We get to dodge Roy and get to go against Zito. Two pluses for us.

4 - 3 on the road trip would be good - 5 - 2 would be great - but we still won't know what type of team we have until July. We could enter July 10 games up and come out 10 games down.

Our schedule - Be thankful for 3 games vs the Pirates

July 1 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
    July 2 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
    July 3 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
    July 4 Chicago Cubs 8:15 p.m.
    July 5 Chicago Cubs 3:55 p.m.
    July 6 Chicago Cubs 3:15 p.m.
    July 8 at Philadelphia
    7:05 p.m.
    July 9 at Philadelphia
    July 10 at Philadelphia
    1:05 p.m.
    July 11 at Pittsburgh
    July 12 at Pittsburgh
    July 13 at Pittsburgh
    1:35 p.m.
    July 17 San Diego 8:15 p.m.
    July 18 San Diego 8:15 p.m.
    July 19 San Diego 3:55 p.m.
    July 20 San Diego 2:15 p.m.
    July 21 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
    July 22 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
    July 23 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
    July 24 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
    July 25 at N.Y. Mets
    7:10 p.m.
    July 26 at N.Y. Mets
    July 27 at N.Y. Mets
    1:10 p.m.
    July 28 at Atlanta
    July 29 at Atlanta
    July 30 at Atlanta
    July 31 at Atlanta
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
      Thanks Gup -

The early answer to question one is in - we can play a little at home. Can we play on the road is the next question. We play a Houston team and the Giants. We get to dodge Roy and get to go against Zito. Two pluses for us.

4 - 3 on the road trip would be good - 5 - 2 would be great - but we still won't know what type of team we have until July. We could enter July 10 games up and come out 10 games down.

Our schedule - Be thankful for 3 games vs the Pirates

July 1 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
      July 2 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
      July 3 N.Y. Mets 8:15 p.m.
      July 4 Chicago Cubs 8:15 p.m.
      July 5 Chicago Cubs 3:55 p.m.
      July 6 Chicago Cubs 3:15 p.m.
      July 8 at Philadelphia

July 9 at Philadelphia

July 10 at Philadelphia

1:05 p.m.
      July 11 at Pittsburgh

July 12 at Pittsburgh

July 13 at Pittsburgh

1:35 p.m.
      July 17 San Diego 8:15 p.m.
      July 18 San Diego 8:15 p.m.
      July 19 San Diego 3:55 p.m.
      July 20 San Diego 2:15 p.m.
      July 21 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
      July 22 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
      July 23 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
      July 24 Milwaukee 8:15 p.m.
      July 25 at N.Y. Mets

July 26 at N.Y. Mets

July 27 at N.Y. Mets

1:10 p.m.
      July 28 at Atlanta

July 29 at Atlanta

July 30 at Atlanta

July 31 at Atlanta

Looks like about a 18-9 or 17-10 stretch for the Birds.....
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by davhaf View Post

I'm with you - which should put us in good shape to rest up in August and September.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

It's too early to look towards May, let alone July.
          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

12-15.

Comment

6-1 would be a nice nice start. 5-2 would be also, but I'd prefer 6-1.
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

St. Louis slugger Albert Pujols is 0-for-9 lifetime versus Rodriguez - the most career at-bats without a hit for Pujols against any major league pitcher.
                This changes today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post

It's too early to look towards May, let alone July.
                  Maybe - but April is favorable - May is average - June is favorable - July is a bear of all bears - August below average - September below average -

Lets eat while we can.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

ERA of St. Louis’ starters to 0.96.
                    Nuff said.

Comment

Go Cards!
                      Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Glovey View Post
                        This changes today.

Agreed, and Albert loves doing damage in Houston. Isn't it his second most successful road HR park behind Pittsburgh, which is next up on the road trip?

He's had good success in Cincinatti too. Be afraid, Dusty!

Comment

"I remember I played for a manager one time who said something and I thought, man, that is really good. It made us all feel good," La Russa said. "He really liked our club and he said, 'I can't wait to take you on the road and show you off to the fans other than our home fans.' I've felt that way about a lot of clubs over the years and I'm looking forward to letting Houston see what we've got."
                          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

"I remember I played for a manager one time who said something and I thought, man, that is really good. It made us all feel good," La Russa said. "He really liked our club and he said, 'I can't wait to take you on the road and show you off to the fans other than our home fans.' I've felt that way about a lot of clubs over the years and I'm looking forward to letting Houston see what we've got."

If Tony's that stoked, then we should all be too.

I've got to admit that I'm impressed, but one week does not a season make.

Comment

Opening Day festivities kick off in about 30 minutes with all kinds of events around the ballpark. I belive the gates open at 3:00 for the early 6:05 start.

Looking out my window I can see the roof is open but I have a feeling it will be closed for the game as there is rain in the forecast. Berkman is a game time decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X