How Does One Get Rid Of A Piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does One Get Rid Of A Piece?

And when I say piece I'm not talking about a piece of pie or a piece of ass, those things should be kept and enjoyed. I'm talking about a gun.

Long story short. My wife's mother passed away about 2 1/2 years ago and after she died we inherited a bunch of her things. Included in these things were your typical old lady items such as goofy knick knacks and old family photo albums, and one unusual item. A handgun.

For a long time the gun has simply sat in a night stand drawer with little thought until recently. The reason for the new interest is we have a little one in the house who is getting bigger and bigger by the day. Now I may have to renounce my Texas Citizenship for saying this but I don't want a gun in the house, not with a child.

I obviously don't want to go all gangster and toss it in a lake or down a storm drain. Can I take it to the cops? Is there a service I can call? Can I trade it in for a toy? While I'm comfortable the gun hasn't been used to rob any liquor stores I don't believe it has been properly registered. I'd hate to catch heat from the police for trying to do the right thing. I don't give a shit about trying to sell it I just want it gone. Anyone ever had to deal with a similar situation?

Contact the local PD and let them know what happened. They may allow you to turn it in under an amnesty program.

BTW, what kind is it?
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about taking it in to the cops. It's not like you bought it.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

don't you have 311, info?

i sure in hell wouldn't walk it into a police station
        Last edited by MsFunkay; 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
          Contact the local PD and let them know what happened. They may allow you to turn it in under an amnesty program.

BTW, what kind is it?
          9 MM

I also have some redneck cousins who would probably love to get their hands on a free gun. I'd be better off tossing it in the trash.

Going to do a little research. I'm sure the cops will let me turn it in.

Comment

If you just want to get rid of it with no compensation, just call the local PD and they'll take it. If you want money, check with them anyway to see when/if they're doing a guns for $$$$ type deal.
            The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by MsFunkay View Post
              don't you have 311, info?

i sure in hell wouldn't walk it into a police station
              I tried it once for another issue and it sucks. Plus I'm now out in the suburbs so the Houston 311 probably won't do me any good.

I'm sure I could just google my question but then I'd miss out on any potential personal experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
                I tried it once for another issue and it sucks. Plus I'm now out in the suburbs so the Houston 311 probably won't do me any good.

I'm sure I could just google my question but then I'd miss out on any potential personal experiences.
                well, if 311 sucks then call a local police or fire department (again, don't walk in with it, its amazing how many people do), and ask them about it. if your record is clean and the gun is clean, you'll have no real issues. they may just take it or they may buy it from you depending

Comment

When me and a buddy used to bid on abandoned storage lockers we came up with a lot of firearms and never had a problem bringing the ones we didn't want to the police.

The first couple of times we called ahead, but after that we'd just drive them to the station and while one of us waited outside with the firearms in the van the other would go in and let the officer at the counter we had some...if they weren't busy they'd send someone out to get them, but on more than a couple occasions they'd have us just walk them in ourselves and put them in a side storage room.

But yeah, walking in unannounced isn't a real smart thing to do.

Comment

You could always pawn it.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Toss it into a river or other large body of water.

Comment

sell it to a cincinnati football player.
                        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Lock it up in the house and the problem is solved.
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Ship it to me. I've been wanting a gun.

Comment

It's always helpful to have a second set of prints on a gun.
                              Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Comment

Working...
                              X