X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REM on Colbert

Thought this was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM2wudTFR8
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

New CD is getting pretty good reviews from what I can tell.

Comment

No fans of the first song from the cd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_We6u...eature=related

Comment

I like the new CD much better than anything they've done since DOCUMENT...but having said that, side 1 of DOCUMENT is maybe the last great album side in music history (within 18 months of DOCUMENT, CD's replaced vinyl pretty ubiquitously).

...and even so, ACCELERATE isn't anywhere near as good as anything from their early career. The one thing that's troubled me about REM since the early '90's--I don't think the band ever got "over" their part in being Zevon's backing band for the rather awful Hindu Love Gods record. Ever since then, any time REM tries to rock out they have a wooden, heavy-handed, almost tentative-ness that reminds me of the critical flaws of Zevon's latter career. There are songs on Accelerate where Stipe's vocals sound like a someone doing a mediocre imitation of Zevon's limited vocal instrument, and that doesn't help.

Early REM could rock out. They used to have an angularity and agility that it'd be unfair to completely blame on Bill Berry's departure--they'd lost that loose and urgent feel long before he left--but it is most certainly gone. I suppose on first listen, ACCELERATE to me sounds like (if you took away the recognizable Stipe voice) it could be any one of a thousand anonymous bands playing these tracks. You listen to a song like "Exhuming McCarthy" or "Talk About The Passion" or "Catapult" or "Harborcoat" and there's no mistaking the singularity of REM's vision. That just seems to be lacking (again) on this disc.
        I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan View Post
          No fans of the first song from the cd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_We6u...eature=related
          What saves "Supernatural Superserious" is Mike Mills. Mike Mills is All. We have a lot of discussions about who the great players are on various instruments, and Mike Mills never comes up, but the guy is a machine on bass, and does the angelic backing vocals thing better than anyone in rock since John Entwistle. I watch Mike Mills play bass and sing, and I think "THAT is how you do THAT."
          I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
            What saves "Supernatural Superserious" is Mike Mills. Mike Mills is All. We have a lot of discussions about who the great players are on various instruments, and Mike Mills never comes up, but the guy is a machine on bass, and does the angelic backing vocals thing better than anyone in rock since John Entwistle. I watch Mike Mills play bass and sing, and I think "THAT is how you do THAT."
            Totally agree with you here, Trig. Mills is the single reason I continued buying REM CD's until "Monster". And I don't care what anyone says, "Monster" isn't nearly as awful as most people think.

BTW, Peter Buck can hold his own too and was always the brains behind REM, IMO. The boys just totally lost me after their Monster tour, though. Still, the band has churned out a bunch of really cool songs over the years.
            Last edited by dhaab; 04-07-2008, 12:51 AM.
            *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
              BTW, Peter Buck can hold his own too and was always the brains behind REM, IMO. The boys just totally lost me after their Monster tour, though. Still, the band has churned out a bunch of really cool songs over the years.
              Peter Buck with a guitar is a genius. Peter Buck with a mandolin or banjo or some other pretense is godawful.
              I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
                Peter Buck with a guitar is a genius. Peter Buck with a mandolin or banjo or some other pretense is godawful.

Yeah, he really has worn out his welcome with the mandolin thing.
                *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Nice review Triggercut.

Comment

Trigger knows a bunch more about music than me, but I have liked the following relatively recent REM albums:

Automatic For The People
                    Monster
                    New Adventures in Sci Fi (I think this one is highly underrated)

Comment

I'm not an REM fan, and this is why. Teh boring. So was the interview.
                      "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
                      – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Card Fan View Post
                        Trigger knows a bunch more about music than me, but I have liked the following relatively recent REM albums:

Automatic For The People
                        Monster
                        New Adventures in Sci Fi (I think this one is highly underrated)
                        A lot of folks who know more about music than I do agree with you dude, so it ain't just you. Having said that I don't much care for those discs as a whole, I will admit that there are some terrific songs on those discs, so I'm not totally refusing to eat the porridge.

...and if I sounded a little harsh on ACCELERATE upthread, it was unintentional. Again, I think it's a good record, if not a complete return to form.
                        I like cheese.

Comment

I may give this one a try. I own everything from Reckoning to Up. I was dissapointed with Up. My personal favorite LP is Fables of the Reconstruction.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Just listened to The Best of the IRS years on the way home tonight - that was some good music. I'd been so disappointed by Around the Sun and Reveal that I had no feelings when I learned that they were releasing a new album. If it sorta kinda gets the Trig seal of approval, I may check it out.

And would anyone else have pegged Kev for an R.E.M. fan? Guy continues to amaze me.
                            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                              Just listened to The Best of the IRS years on the way home tonight - that was some good music. I'd been so disappointed by Around the Sun and Reveal that I had no feelings when I learned that they were releasing a new album. If it sorta kinda gets the Trig seal of approval, I may check it out.

And would anyone else have pegged Kev for an R.E.M. fan? Guy continues to amaze me.
                              R.E.M....I didnt think Monster was as bad as many people thought.

The IRS years is an awesome disc...I listen to that all day. Best song on that cd...So. Central Rain?

Comment

Working...
                              X