Free at last, they took your life
    They could not take your pride

In the name of love
    What more in the name of love
    In the name of love
    What more in the name of love
    In the name of love
    What more in the name of love...
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

His last public speech...

Make America Great For Once.

Comment

That last speech give me goosebumps...dripping with foreshadowing...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

1968 was one heck of a year.

Looking back at the memorable events of the tumultuous year of 1968.

The assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of a series of significant events in 1968, a historic year in civil rights, politics and war. Here is a timeline of some of those occurrences:

JAN. 21

In Vietnam, the Battle of Khe Sahn begins with an attack on a U.S. Marine base. The Americans hold their position, but it is the longest and bloodiest battle of the war, lasting 2 1/2 months.

JAN. 23

North Korean patrol boats capture the Pueblo, a Navy intelligence-gathering vessel and its 83-man crew, claiming the ship violated its territorial waters. The crew won't be released until Dec. 22.

JAN. 30

Communist troops in Vietnam begin the Tet Offensive, the heaviest offensive of the war. Assaults begin throughout South Vietnam on the first day of Tet, the lunar new year. The Communists will be beaten back, but the offensive will be seen as a major setback for the U.S. and its allies, and as the turning point in the American attitude toward the war.

FEB. 1

A Viet Cong officer's execution by South Vietnamese Brig. Gen. Nguyen Ngoc Loan is captured in a photograph. The casual brutality shocks people in America and contributes to public opinion turning against the war.

FEB. 29

Reporting after a seven-month study of the racial disorders of the summer of 1967, President Johnson's National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders (known as the Kerner Commission) warns that America is "moving toward two societies, one black, one white — separate and unequal."

MARCH 16

U.S. troops under the command of Lt. William L. Calley Jr. massacre about 500 Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. The Army will eventually charge 25 officers and enlisted men in the massacre, but only Calley will be convicted.

APRIL 4

King is fatally shot while standing on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn. Racial violence breaks out nationwide. After an intensive manhunt, James Earl Ray is arrested and convicted of murder.

JUNE 5

Robert Kennedy, 42, is shot and mortally wounded at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles by Sirhan Sirhan shortly after winning the California presidential primary. He dies June 6.

AUG. 20

About 200,000 Soviet Union and other Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia to crush the liberalization drive of Alexander Dubcek's regime.

AUG. 22-30

Thousands of antiwar demonstrators crowd Chicago's streets during the Democratic National Convention. Riots break out. At least 100 are sent to emergency rooms; 175 are arrested.

OCT. 18

The U.S. Olympic Committee suspends sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos, for giving the black power salute during a victory ceremony at the Mexico City Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968

Comment

I went to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis in October.

The King portion was pretty amazing. And, sad.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
            -Barry Goldwater

Comment

bump...........

Comment

Barack Obama represents the future of Black Leadership -

Should he become president he will be the most powerful Black American since King - and depending upon what he does - maybe more powerful.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

wow i just had goosebumps listening to the I Have A Dream speech

Official Lounge Sponsor of Erik Johnson

Comment

Working...
                  X