Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Crean close to being named Indiana's hoops coach

per ESPN News, Indiana is awaiting a signed letter of agreement

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

WHAT THE FUCK.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

At least I can continue to hate IU.

That's nice.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Why didn't they just get him instead of Sampson in the first place?

And why would Crean go there? He hasn't had better opportunities than a place about to get sanctioned?

Comment

They tried to hit a home run with Sampson.

The fallout:

Sampson fired and will never coach major D-1 hoops again.

First round exit.

Loss of schollie.

Ebanks decommits.

Bassett (best returning player next year) booted from team.

Ellis (one of few scoring threats next year) booted from team.

Gordon's stock dropped in the tourney. Still a lottery, but I don't think he is ready.

Probation?

IU should suck for the next 2-3 years.
          Last edited by El Establishment 1; 04-01-2008, 04:24 PM.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

It's now official: press conference manana

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Did Crean turn down Illinois after Self left?
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
                Did Crean turn down Illinois after Self left?

He held a press conference saying that he wasn't interested in the job.

He was never offered. Guenther inquired, but "found something he was not comfortable with".

Crean used it as an opportunity to attention whore.

It is now a running joke in Illini Nation.

E.g. Tom Crean holds press conference to say he is not going to respond to this thread.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post

The fallout:

First round exit.

Loss of schollie.

Ebanks decommits.

Gordon's stock dropped in the tourney. Still a lottery, but I don't think he is ready.

Probation?

I knew there was something I liked about you.
                  "It would have been difficult for us to discuss it with his dick in my mouth, so evidently I don't know him that well."

Comment

He held a press conference saying that he wasn't interested in the job.

He was never offered. Guenther inquired, but "found something he was not comfortable with".

Crean used it as an opportunity to attention whore.

It is now a running joke in Illini Nation.

E.g. Tom Crean holds press conference to say he is not going to respond to this thread.
                    Interesting. I do now recall some of that.

Did we ever discover what Guenther was uncomfortable with?
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
                      Interesting. I do now recall some of that.

Did we ever discover what Guenther was uncomfortable with?

Not sure.

I really can't speculate either. I haven't heard any/many allegations against him.

As an aside, the short list when Weber was hired was Weber, That Matta, Dana Altman and Tom Crean.

Personally, I wanted Matta, but am happy with Bruce.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Love the hire. I wanted him last go-round.
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

The fallout:

First round exit.

Loss of schollie.

Ebanks decommits.

Probation?

Bassett and Ellis both can (and probably will) be reinstated by Crean.
                          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                            Bassett and Ellis both can (and probably will) be reinstated by Crean.

I thought the story (could be wrong here) was that they were both busted for smoking the drugos, then missing these meetings.

Can he really keep them if this is true?

Also, sounds like they were going to transfer, no?

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

I thought the story (could be wrong here) was that they were both busted for smoking the drugos, then missing these meetings.

Can he really keep them if this is true?

Also, sounds like they were going to transfer, no?
                              Sorry, went out for the night.

Jordan Crawford is the only one to have spoken about transferring. Recruits Devin Ebanks and Terrell Holloway asked out of their letter of intent when Sampson left but both were asked to wait until a new coach was hired.

I haven't read anything about Bassett and Ellis being busted for drugs. All I've heard was them missing a meeting and then not doing extra laps/pushups/etc as punishment. But I also fully admit to being out of the loop the last two days with baseball and work.

When I got the phone call from my buddy who works at KMOX I was floored about Crean because he'd shown no interest in '06. I'm exstatic about this hire. I think the only other coaches I would have been this happy about was Tom Izzo (of course never going to happen), Thad Matta, or Dane Fife.

Just kidding about Fife.

Comment

Working...
                              X