MLB scheduling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB scheduling question

This may have already been covered but I didn't see it anywhere. Why did the Nationals get to play a one game home stand on Sunday night and then go on the road to Phillie yesterday? ESPN, I suppose but I have been around 52 years and I've never seen that happen before. WTF?
    RIP Stan the Man
    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
    I miss TLR!

Originally posted by jhuegy View Post
    This may have already been covered but I didn't see it anywhere. Why did the Nationals get to play a one game home stand on Sunday night and then go on the road to Phillie yesterday? ESPN, I suppose but I have been around 52 years and I've never seen that happen before. WTF?
    New Stadium in Washington.

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
      New Stadium in Washington.

You're welcome.

I presumed that what with ESPN being involved but I haven't read a word about it anywhere. I've never seen a one day homestand in all my life. Why now? Please enlighten me Mr. Obvious.
      RIP Stan the Man
      I miss TLR!

Comment

I asked in the GDT...no one knows.

Comment

I presumed that what with ESPN being involved but I haven't read a word about it anywhere. I've never seen a one day homestand in all my life. Why now? Please enlighten me Mr. Obvious.
          Because they can.

Just like they can open the season in Japan.

Now go back to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
            Because they can.

Just like they can open the season in Japan.

Now go back to bed.
            Thanks but I haven't been to bed yet. I'm waiting for an answer. At least 210 wasn't sarcastic.
            RIP Stan the Man
            I miss TLR!

Comment

Thanks but I haven't been to bed yet. I'm waiting for an answer. At least 210 wasn't sarcastic.
              I gave you an answer.

And it's a perfectly plausible answer.

I can't help it if you need 5 union guys to come to a concensus as to whether you understand the answer or not.

Comment

Jhuegy will not sleep until he gets answers.
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

ESPN and FOX rule the game. That's why we've had playoff games starting at 10:00 PM. Do I like it? No. But there really nothing we can do about it.
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                    ESPN and FOX rule the game. That's why we've had playoff games starting at 10:00 PM. Do I like it? No. But there really nothing we can do about it.
                    So why wouldn't Atlanta just stay in Washington? It seems that even if you're correct about ESPN and FOX ruling the game it makes no difference with that one game series.

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
                      So why wouldn't Atlanta just stay in Washington? It seems that even if you're correct about ESPN and FOX ruling the game it makes no difference with that one game series.
                      I think they screwed up. Washington was originaly set to open in Philly and Atlanta at home on Monday. Then someone saw the opening on Sunday night was available. My guess is that since Atlanta is a fairly short flight from DC and Philly is a short trip also from DC, the powers-that-be decided to put the Braves in that game. Just my guess. Whatever their motive, it was stupid.
                      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                        Mr. Sex will not sleep until he gets answers.
                        fixed
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Some have speculated that as part of the Nationals getting some stadium financing, they had it written up in the paperwork that their first game had to be on national television on a Sunday night...

Knowing that you really can't schedule a one-game series in the middle of the week, I guess MLB thought it'd be smart to do it on a night before the rest of the teams started and get it out of the way (based on if the above is true)...I'm sure wanting to have the President attend and throw out the ceremonial first pitch was included in that...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            Some have speculated that as part of the Nationals getting some stadium financing, they had it written up in the paperwork that their first game had to be on national television on a Sunday night...

Knowing that you really can't schedule a one-game series in the middle of the week, I guess MLB thought it'd be smart to do it on a night before the rest of the teams started and get it out of the way (based on if the above is true)...I'm sure wanting to have the President attend and throw out the ceremonial first pitch was included in that...
                            The only time the bolded above can be done is the way that it was done. No series will ever start on a Sunday other than that first game.
                            Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                              The only time the bolded above can be done is the way that it was done. No series will ever start on a Sunday other than that first game.
                              Exactly...can't have a one-game series on a Thursday

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X