Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough news for old R&B fans. Eddie Levert dies at 39.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough news for old R&B fans. Eddie Levert dies at 39.

I liked both his dad's group (O'Jays) and his group (Levert)

O'Jays son dies after taken from jail
    By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 44 minutes ago

CLEVELAND - Sean Levert, a third of the 1980s R&B trio LeVert and son of lead O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, has died after falling ill while serving a jail term. He was 39.

Authorities said Monday that an autopsy was inconclusive but foul play was ruled out.

Levert was sentenced last week to one year and 10 months in jail for failing to pay $89,025 in child support. He died at Lutheran Hospital in Cleveland late Sunday, less than an hour after he was taken there from the jail, said coroner Frank Miller.

Levert was sentenced by Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Nancy Margaret Russo, who said a presentence report indicated he had been addicted to marijuana from the time he was 14 until recently. He didn't speak at his sentencing and gave no indication of any health problems, the judge said Monday.

His brother Gerald Levert, who had success as a solo artist after leaving their trio died in 2006 at age 40 of an accidental mix of prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

The brothers had formed LeVert in the 1980s with childhood friend Marc Gordon. Their hits included "Baby I'm Ready," "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova."

"Casanova" was nominated for a Grammy in 1988 for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocal. It was also nominated for best R&B song.

At Gerald Levert's funeral service in November 2006, Sean Levert and his father performed "Dance With My Father" and personalized the words for Gerald. The elder Levert's group, the O'Jays, was known for such smash hits as "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train."

Sean Levert found a new third partner last year and was trying to revive LeVert.

An autopsy was done Monday but no immediate cause of death was determined, according to Powell Caesar, a spokesman for the Cuyahoga County's coroner's office, but he said there was no evidence of foul play or trauma.

Levert suffered from high blood pressure and had been hallucinating in jail, Caesar said. Toxicology reports could take four to six weeks, he said.

Warden Kevin McDonough said earlier that Levert had been sick and guards were watching him at the jail's regular cellblock because he had been acting strangely.

Sean Levert had pleaded guilty last week to six counts of nonsupport involving children ages 11, 15 and 17.
    Make America Great For Once.

Love me some Levert back in the 80s. That's effed up.
    The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Casanova.....Just Coolin'.....those were some jams back in the day.......fucked up story and too damn young to die....
      TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

I thought he died a couple years ago.....or maybe that was his dad.

At least one of them did some good gospel stuff too if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
          I thought he died a couple years ago.....or maybe that was his dad.

At least one of them did some good gospel stuff too if I remember right.
          That was his brother Gerald.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
            That was his brother Gerald.
            Yep, that's who I'm thinking of.....

Comment

Sean Levert - was in jail for failure to pay child support

three kids 11 - 15 -17 I think.

Total behind 87 grand.

You would think that should have been pocket money -

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Sean Levert - was in jail for failure to pay child support

three kids 11 - 15 -17 I think.

Total behind 87 grand.

You would think that should have been pocket money -
                The return of debtor's prison.

This is shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by King View Post
                  The return of debtor's prison.

This is shameful.
                  Truly -

We have some major issues -

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

While shameful that a man could get behing by 90,000 G's -

The kids have needs -

Clearly - with his brother dying 2 years ago the family has been experiencing some issues.

A greater discussion needs to take place about child support on the whole.

He had his all three children in his 20's - about the time Levert was heating up - perhaps he felt the money wouldn't run out then - it apparently did.

90 grand behind has to be over a number of years -

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

While shameful that a man could get behing by 90,000 G's -

The kids have needs -

Clearly - with his brother dying 2 years ago the family has been experiencing some issues.

A greater discussion needs to take place about child support on the whole.

He had his all three children in his 20's - about the time Levert was heating up - perhaps he felt the money wouldn't run out then - it apparently did.

90 grand behind has to be over a number of years -
                      Schwa:

As always, you will do a good job of being diplomatic here.

But we can quickly cut to the chase on this topic:

Even though fathers should support their children, people should not go to jail for owing money.

But, hey, we're returning to a culture of government sponsored torture, so we might as well return to debtor's prisons as well.

Comment

Schwa:

Even though fathers should support their children, people should not go to jail for owing money.

But, hey, we're returning to a culture of government sponsored torture, so we might as well return to debtor's prisons as well.
                        I agree King - especially since it will come out in the long run to be arbitrary.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Schwa:

+++

Couldn't a judgemet be made against the assets already accumulated? IMO, that would serve all parties better than putting someone in jail, where they have no chance to produce income.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                            +++

Couldn't a judgemet be made against the assets already accumulated? IMO, that would serve all parties better than putting someone in jail, where they have no chance to produce income.
                            Makes too much sense.

And wouldn't satisfy the women who want to see men go to jail.

Comment

Working...
                            X