Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia - city dominance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trivia - city dominance

    Name the city and the year when one city totally owned another city in sports. Won 2 championships and beat the other city in divisional playoffs making it 3 out of 3.
    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!


  • #2
    Originally posted by DC Santana View Post
    Name the city and the year when one city totally owned another city in sports. Won 2 championships and beat the other city in divisional playoffs making it 3 out of 3.
    Guess that would rule out baseball and football....don't know how playoffs work in basketball (never have), and don't remember how they work in hockey.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ah, you didn't say the same sport. Nevermind.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
        Guess that would rule out baseball and football....don't know how playoffs work in basketball (never have), and don't remember how they work in hockey.
        Sorry about that, I guess my question isn't very clear.

        The sports involved include pro football, pro baseball, and pro basketball. In the same calendar year one city beat the other city in all 3 sports. In 2 of those sports the prize was the championship, in the other a divisional playoff.
        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DC Santana View Post
          Sorry about that, I guess my question isn't very clear.

          The sports involved include pro football, pro baseball, and pro basketball. In the same calendar year one city beat the other city in all 3 sports. In 2 of those sports the prize was the championship, in the other a divisional playoff.
          No, you were clear. I'm just buttheaded.

          Comment


          • #6
            Get us in the ballpark time-wise....like since 1970, or something like that.

            Comment


            • #7
              In the 60s.
              LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought this was about Detroit owning the Blues..
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                  I thought this was about Detroit owning the Blues..
                  No, but I should come up with one on city that has lost the most championships in one decade in one sport.
                  LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If football championships include only Super Bowls, and considering it happened in the 60's, then it has to be New York over Baltimore in 1969 when the Jets beat the Colts since Green Bay won the first two in '67 & '68...and the Mets also won the World Series in 1969 (against the Orioles?)...so I'm assuming the Knicks also beat the Baltimore Bullets in the NBA playoffs...
                    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DC Santana View Post
                      In the 60s.
                      Mets over Orioles
                      Jets over Colts
                      And I don't know if Baltimore has ever had a basketball team

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JK View Post
                        If football championships include only Super Bowls, and considering it happened in the 60's, then it has to be New York over Baltimore in 1969 when the Jets beat the Colts since Green Bay won the first two in '67 & '68...and the Mets also won the World Series in 1969 (against the Orioles?)...so I'm assuming the Knicks also beat the Baltimore Bullets in the NBA playoffs...
                        Three minutes, assstopwatch.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JK View Post
                          If football championships include only Super Bowls, and considering it happened in the 60's, then it has to be New York over Baltimore in 1969 when the Jets beat the Colts since Green Bay won the first two in '67 & '68...and the Mets also won the World Series in 1969 (against the Orioles?)...so I'm assuming the Knicks also beat the Baltimore Bullets in the NBA playoffs...
                          That's got to be it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JK View Post
                            If football championships include only Super Bowls, and considering it happened in the 60's, then it has to be New York over Baltimore in 1969 when the Jets beat the Colts since Green Bay won the first two in '67 & '68...and the Mets also won the World Series in 1969 (against the Orioles?)...so I'm assuming the Knicks also beat the Baltimore Bullets in the NBA playoffs...

                            That's it.

                            I've been reading the SI articles on this and the Jets and Mets were certainly considered great upsets. The Knicks were expected to beat the Bullets that year.

                            Benie, or at least his old man must have hated New York.

                            I am hopelessly addicted to the SI vault.
                            LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
                              Three minutes, assstopwatch.

                              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X