Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Americans still moving to the south.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Americans still moving to the south.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/...6Y2eLk5_Ks0NUE

Census: Texas is the hot place to live By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 30 minutes ago

DALLAS - Four Texas metropolitan areas were among the biggest population gainers as Americans continued their trend of moving to the Sun Belt in 2006 and 2007, according to Census Bureau estimates to be released Thursday.

Dallas-Fort Worth added more than 162,000 residents between July 2006 and July 2007, more than any other metro area. Three other Texas areas — Houston, Austin and San Antonio — also cracked the top 10.

Atlanta saw the second-largest population jump with just over 151,000 new residents. Phoenix was third with more than 132,000, and was followed by Houston, Riverside, Calif., Charlotte, N.C., Chicago, Austin, Las Vegas and San Antonio.

Of the 50 fastest-growing metro areas, 27 were in the South and 20 were in the West. Two were in the Midwest, one — Fayetteville, Ark. — straddles the South and Midwest and none was in the Northeast.

Detroit lost more than three times as many people as any other metro area — its population declined more than 27,300. Other areas losing more than 5,000 people were Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Ga., Youngstown, Ohio, and Buffalo, N.Y.

Experts credit much of the growth in the South to relatively strong local economies and housing prices that are among the most affordable in the U.S.

"People are running away from unaffordable housing, from the economic slowdown," said Karl Eschbach, a state demographer in Texas. "I would expect Texas to stay at the top of a slowing game."

According to figures compiled by Eschbach, 16 percent of Americans who moved to other states between July 2006 and July 2007 came to Texas, which led the nation for the second straight year in that category.

Home prices continue to be a big factor. A report earlier this month by Global Insight found that housing prices in the Dallas area were undervalued by as much as 30 percent.

Ann Sekesan, a pharmacy technician, moved her family from Pennsylvania to suburban Fort Worth last June after seeing spacious homes in Texas for under $200,000 on a television show.

"After we saw that on TV, my husband and I looked at each other and said, 'Have you ever been to Texas?" Sekesan said. "It's amazing the size of a home you can get down here. It's just incredible."

Among other Census Bureau findings:

• On a percentage basis, the Palm Coast, Fla., area was the fastest-growing in the nation. Population there jumped by 7.2 percent to more than 536,000. The next areas experiencing the biggest surge in growth were St. George, Utah; Raleigh, N.C; Gainesville, Ga.; and Austin.

The New Orleans area, recovering from Hurricane Katrina, grew by 4 percent or nearly 40,000 people, putting it 16th in terms of raw numbers but eighth for percentage growth. During the same survey last year, the population of New Orleans dropped by nearly 290,000 people.

___

On The Net:
    Make America Great For Once.

There aren't a whole lot of cities in the South that I would consider moving to...

.. but this has been one very long and very crappy winter in Missouri.

Comment

I think I could handle Florida, but it would suck not going to regular season Cardinal games or waiting til they play the marlins. I'd probably need a dose of cold weather for Christmas but other than that, I could handle the sun, beach and warm weather.

My friend loves living in NC but I would be bored out of my skull if I had to live there (although it is very pretty).
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

If I could sell my house I'd move back to New Mexico tomorrow.....

Comment

I really think most of you folks would love Austin, Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
            If I could sell my house I'd move back to New Mexico tomorrow.....
            I'm trying to convince the managers at my job to give me a chance at a new opening in the DFW area. I'd much rather go there than Lawton, OK.

Comment

I'm with CG...I could deal with Florida...But, I believe the condos I like on Siesta Key are a little out of my price range...
              Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

I love Siesta Key, but I would need to be closer to Jupiter. There is no way I would consider living in FL if I couldn't go see the Cards on my lunch break.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

property taxes are a big factor for sure..

its amazing how cheap it is in the south.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdao View Post
                    There aren't a whole lot of cities in the South that I would consider moving to...

.. but this has been one very long and very crappy winter in Missouri.
                    After living in the south (North Carolina and Georgia), I'd go back there.

I've never really been to Texas other than passing through but know many that have moved down there for one reason or another and have enjoyed it.
                    Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Global Warming is the cause.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I don't think you should label Texas as the South, but in any event, it's still a boom state.

It's ugly as hell, though, polluted, and the weather sucks. It's got terrible problems with sprawl, but in general wages are higher in Texas, as long as you are not down by the border.
                        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
                          It's ugly as hell, though, polluted, and the weather sucks. .
                          Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and most other rust belt cities?

Comment

I couldn't move to FL - I would be too close to my mom. I'd rather move to Seattle.
                            Feb. 08, 2005
                            Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                            Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                            Originally posted by Airshark
                            NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

That being said, the cities in the north that I have been to like Milwaukee and Minny/St Paul I liked. But I was up there in the summer/early fall. I am not sure how I would handle one of their typical winters.
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott
                              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                              X