Lou Dobbs Going Off Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou Dobbs Going Off Again

This time on the outsourcing of that big military contract that went to Airbus

Gotta agree with him. I like free trade but I don't think we should become dependent on France for military airplane parts...any foreign country for that matter. Some things we just need to manufacture for ourselves especially a plane that would be used to refuel our other planes.

Hopefully, they reverse this deal.

What say you Huegy..are you not a Boeing guy?
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

PLUS PLUS...

WTF, it's our military we are talking about here, I feel the same way that I did over the port security fiasco. Not that it was an Arab country, but that even if it were Brittan or Canada we should still be doing our own port security and we should buy everything for our military from American companies.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I'm sure there were some Mexicans involved in all of this...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The problem was the intent of the original legislation regarding the acquisition of military hardware or any other purchases by the US Government. It did not allow for the economic impact to the US to be used as a consideration in the decision making process.

I don't like relying on France for anything. In this one area of the economy, I believe that national security interests trump pure capitalism.
        Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome..... The only way to live.

Comment

One of the best things to happen to me musically in the last year was when my Selmer USA tenor saxophone--about 20 years old, valued at maybe 1000 dollars--- was stolen. I have a forty year old selmer paris mark vi alto, and I replaced the selmer usa tenor with a new one made in Paris. 3500 dollars---and definitely worth it.

The Way They WereYear in and year out Selmer Paris Saxophones rank as the first choice of the worlds leading players and poll winning artists more than any other make of Saxophone

Selmer Modele 22

Selmer Modele 28

Selmer Adolphe Saxophones

Selmer Radio Improved

Selmer Jimmy Dorsey

Selmer Super Action

Selmer Mark VI

Selmer Mark VII

Selmer Paris

Selmer London

Selmer USA

My Selmer Story

Selmer London Catalogue 1948

Selmer London Catalogue 1955

Selmer London Catalogue 1967

Letter from Henri Selmer Paris referring to the 1975 Mk6 Serial Numbers

Date your Selmer Horn Here

Copyright © 2004 Don Mackrills Music Stop All rights reserved

v

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe View Post
            One of the best things to happen to me musically in the last year was when my Selmer USA tenor saxophone--about 20 years old, valued at maybe 1000 dollars--- was stolen. I have a forty year old selmer paris mark vi alto, and I replaced the selmer usa tenor with a new one made in Paris. 3500 dollars---and definitely worth it.

The Way They WereYear in and year out Selmer Paris Saxophones rank as the first choice of the worlds leading players and poll winning artists more than any other make of Saxophone

Selmer Modele 22

Selmer Modele 26

Selmer Modele 28

Selmer Adolphe Saxophones

Selmer Radio Improved

Selmer Jimmy Dorsey

Selmer Super Action

Selmer Mark VI

Selmer Mark VII

Selmer Paris

Selmer London

Selmer USA

My Selmer Story

Selmer London Catalogue 1948

Selmer London Catalogue 1955

Selmer London Catalogue 1967

Letter from Henri Selmer Paris referring to the 1975 Mk6 Serial Numbers

Date your Selmer Horn Here

Copyright © 2004 Don Mackrills Music Stop All rights reserved

I took a crap yesterday...and it was full of corn. Funny thing is, I haven't had corn in weeks.

Rowling: I considered suicide as a struggling single mother

By LAURA ROBERTS - More by this author » Last updated at 21:14pm on 23rd March 2008
            Comments (1)
            Depression: Rowling has reportedly admitted feeling suicidal after her first marriage ended

Best-selling children's author Rowling has revealed that she considered committing suicide when she was a single mother struggling to survive and succeed as a writer.

The Harry Potter writer has admitted she thought of taking her own life when she was in her mid-20s after separating from her first husband Jorge Arantes, a Portuguese journalist.

She received cognitive behavioural therapy after seeking medical help following the break-up.
            The Edinburgh-based writer - who has amassed a personal fortune estimated at £545million - has previously discussed her experiences with depression during her twenties but never mentioned any suicidal urges.
            The 42 year-old said it was the thought of her young daughter, Jessica, that spurred her to seek help.
            Speaking to a student newspaper in Edinburgh Miss Rowling said: "Mid-twenties, my life circumstances were poor and I really plummeted. the thing that made me go for help was probably my daughter.
            "She was something that earthed me, grounded me, and I thought, this isn't right, she cannot grow up with me in this state."
            The writer claimed that she was "dismissed" by a stand-in doctor who was temporarily replacing her Edinburgh GP.
            She recalled: "The doctor] said: 'If you ever feel a bit low, come back and speak to the practice nurse' and dismissed me.
            "We're talking suicidal thoughts here; we're not talking 'I'm a bit miserable'."
            It was the dedication of her usual GP that saved her, Miss Rowling said.
            She added: "Two weeks later I had a call from my regular GP who looked back over the notes. She called me back in . She saved me because I don't think I would have had the guts to go twice."
            After returning to her GP Miss Rowling attended therapy sessions with a counsellor for nine months.
            She said: "I definitely had leanings towards depression from a quite an early age but it's an extremely hard condition to recognise in yourself."
            She added: "The funny thing is I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed. Never. I think I'm abnormally shameless on that account, because what's to be ashamed of?"

Miss Rowling is now one of the world's most successful authors who has had her seven Harry Potter novels translated into 65 languages.
            She is now a mother of three after marrying Dr Neil Murray, 36, in 2001. The couple have a son, David, 5, and a daughter, Mackenzie, 2.
            Scroll down for more...
            Blockbuster: 's life has changed beyond recognition since she began writing the Harry Potter series

A spokesman for mental health charity Mind said: "It's great that Rowling is discussing this. "Speaking about counselling and other talking treatments is also important. Medication should not be the first port of call in most cases."
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I took a crap yesterday...and it was full of corn. Funny thing is, I haven't had corn in weeks.

Rowling: I considered suicide as a struggling single mother
              My point was that France is capable of doing some things better than what is being done in the USA.

I am sorry I missed your point.
              v

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe View Post
                My point was that France is capable of doing some things better than what is being done in the USA.

I am sorry I missed your point.
                Sure, but when it comes to national defense and the only difference is money, I'd rather see us spend more to keep it in U.S. hands.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                  Sure, but when it comes to national defense and the only difference is money, I'd rather see us spend more to keep it in U.S. hands.
                  Not like that's an option, though. At best a US contractor would have a bunch of foreign subcontractors. Particularly when it comes to avionics.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                    Not like that's an option, though. At best a US contractor would have a bunch of foreign subcontractors. Particularly when it comes to avionics.
                    True, but I would hope they would be in charge and checking everything, and the big money would still be going to a U.S. company.

Comment

True but if the US company is the prime contractor they have all the schematics and charts and can get parts made by someone else or make them themselves should a foreign subcontractor refuse to make a part because they don't like our position on a war.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

That's a somewhat flawed statement, particularly when it comes to the avionics package on the Boeing bid.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...anker_project/

Comment

Working...
                        X