Man, is our rotation horrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, is our rotation horrible

The news is that crappy Thompson apparently has beaten out even more crappy Reyes. But buried deep in the article:

While all but anointing Thompson as its fifth starter, the club retains a restrained approach with Clement while Pineiro may be several exhibition and minor-league starts away, beginning with a Monday start for Triple-A Memphis.

Clement is scheduled to make his first game appearance Tuesday, also for the Memphis Redbirds. Questions linger over the righthander's velocity. La Russa and his staff have not seen the same velocity from Clement since he worked impressively in live batting practice this month. The club has not put a gun on his side work, but one club official on Friday thought Clement's fastball had yet to hit 85 mph and may have recently regressed.
    ::sobs::
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

I refuse to believe that Todd Wellemeyer - a castoff from the KANSAS CITY ROYALS - can possibly be better than Anthony Reyes.

Comment

So, Wainwright, Lohse, Looper, Wellemeyer, Thompson are the five starters. Villone and Flores are the leftys. Izzy is the closer. Franklin and Springer are righties. That leaves spots for two more pitchers. Who am I missing? Reyes and McClellan? Or are we really going to break camp with 11 and send McClellan to Memphis?

Comment

We signed a free-agent pitcher who can't break a pane of glass.
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

How many saves will Izzy get this year? 20?
          25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
          Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
            I refuse to believe that Todd Wellemeyer - a castoff from the KANSAS CITY ROYALS - can possibly be better than Anthony Reyes.
            General comment not directed towards you, but the logic in general...

why does it matter where the guy came from as a castoff? If the guy can be effective, then it should it matter?

Fuck, Mike Maroth came from a team that could contend and look what he did, which leads us to the other perspective: he was a castoff of the Tigers and couldn't win shit, so....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Some ray of sunlight on the war on dru...er, rotation building: Mulder threw

Comment

where would reyes go? aaa?
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                  where would reyes go? aaa?
                  He'll either go to AAA (because he miraculously has options left) or be dealt for a utility infielder (my guess)...

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Comment

we can trade him for Spiezio?

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                      we can trade him for Spiezio?
                      Unfortunately, no...we can only trade Louis Vuitton gift certificates for his new wallet and gift cards to Lukas Liquors...

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                        General comment not directed towards you, but the logic in general...

why does it matter where the guy came from as a castoff? If the guy can be effective, then it should it matter?

Fuck, Mike Maroth came from a team that could contend and look what he did, which leads us to the other perspective: he was a castoff of the Tigers and couldn't win shit, so....
                        But dude. He was a ROYAL.

In any event, if Reyes isn't in the ML rotation, I guess you're right that he's probably not headed to the bullpen. I forgot about Kelvin Jimenez; I suppose he makes the team for sure now, and McClellan if we carry 12.

Comment

Help is on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

At least he's throwing free and easy per teh Goold. I have a feeling we may see him in a game before Clement. And we also have an Alan Benes spotting!(no he's not throwing for the team...that god.)

Mulder throws to batters

By Derrick Goold
                          03/22/2008 8:26 am

JUPITER, Fla. — Cardinals starter Mark Mulder passed another mile marker in his lengthy trek back to the rotation by throwing batting practice to three minor leaguers early Saturday morning. The lefty threw 30 pitches and improved tremendously from the first batch of 15 to the second.
                          Mulder is recovering from two shoulder surgeries that truncated his past two seasons with the Cardinals. An issue since he arrived in St. Louis, Mulder’s delivery have been smooth and effective this spring. During the live batting practice sessions Saturday, his left shoulder no longer showed the lag or hitch that caused him such troubles in recent summers — and led to the discovery of the torn rotator cuff within.
                          The lefty threw to Carlos Marmol, Allen Craig and Daniel Descalso.
                          In the first half of his throw, Mulder’s pitches strayed high and he couldn’t get control of his curveball. That changed about the time coach Derek Lilliquist announced that Mulder was halfway through.
                          “I thought from the beginning he put everything together,” said manager Tony La Russa, who watched from the first-base dugout. “He made a bunch of good throws. For the first time against a hitter, I thought he was very impressive.”
                          His final five hitters went this way:
                          • Mulder busted a cutter in on Marmol that snapped the kid’s bat. F6.
                          • Craig bounced a sinker to third. 5-3.
                          • Descalso lined a high fastball to right field for a single.
                          • Marmol chopped out. 6-3.
                          • Craig fouled a pitch off, way high curving away from right field. Then Craig popped up to short.
                          Mulder’s throw drew a crowd, including the front-office brain trust (John Mozeliak, John Abbamondi, Alan Benes, et. al.), pitchers Chris Carpenter and Jason Isringhausen, and the pitching coach staff of Dave Duncan and Marty Mason.
                          While a watershed day in Mulder’s recovery Saturday does little more than offer a hint of his coming timetable. Matt Clement, for example, was conservative and threw batting practice four times before being scheduled for Tuesday’s Triple-A start. Teammates and coaches have been struck by how well Mulder has been throwing, hinting that he could follow a traditional schedule instead of the conservative one set for Clement, who is building back from a year missed after shoulder surgery.
                          The idea has been to get Mulder against hitters before the team leaves Florida (check), get him into a competition in April, and then off on a rehab assignment to prep for a May return.
                          “He’s looking more like himself,” La Russa said this morning. “He feels physically very good. Breaking it down and trying to evaluate it while he’s still working the process is not smart.”

More in this space once Mulder speaks to the media.
                          -30-
                          Official Lounge Sponsor
                          Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

the game is going to be on tv today! I think!

Comment

Game is on FSN at noon

Comment

Working...
                              X