Clinton's Gambit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinton's Gambit

In Chess a gambit is when you sacrifice a piece for position in an attack. This is all well and good when it leads to a victory - however should the gambit fail it will certainly lead to a quick defeat. By staging an all out frontal assualt on the opponents King you open up his defenses - but should not succeed in capturing the King - you have greatly reduced yours to the point that any small counter attack will succeed.

Clinton sacrificied any chance she has of getting Black votes with a full scale attack on Obama's church and past pastor. That vote is now off the board for her during the rest of these primaries. She is hoping that the White male vote will now be enough to vanquish Obama. The question she is asking White males to consider is "Whom do you trust more - a Black man who has consistently heard racist remarks from Black leaders in the past or a White woman who has consistently heard racist remarks from White leaders."

That's the point of her attack. But in chess an attack has to be coordinated with other pieces. A lone knight or rook wouldn't be very effective. But if you put them together in a unit they can be. The rest of her attack is to say Obama is all talk and no action - doesn't have experience - can't win in big states - may harbor some muslim feelings - and is naive about politics.

She had tried to make the last five her major attack points earlier and found she was getting no where fast. It wasn't until the racial attacks took hold did she gain any traction. Her campaign had tried the racial attack earlier and been rebuffed - it actually hurt her and made her look mean spirited. It has succeeded now by pandering to the worst fears of White America - that a Black man in charge may seek reprisals against Whites for hundreds of years of ill treatment.

Obama can't address all six issues at once. A hungry media asks all six questions repeatedly and then says he's becoming evasive when he doesn't answer in rapid fire fashion. He might succumb to the pressure. Then again he might not.

Clinton's real issue with her attack style is that she can't hide from her own offense. She has to come out to support her pieces and when she does she is vulnerable to counter attacks. While she has made great strides in polls - she is losing in the one that matters - delegate count.

Without a winning strategy in place she is exposed for what she is. A losing candidate so desperate to win a nomination she would risk killing a party for her own gain. Her campaign members have lied to get to this point. Releasing an Obama muslim memo, stating incorrectly who was winking on NAFTA, delaying her schedule which shows how clearly she supported NAFTA during Bill's white house run.

Each primary brings her closer and closer to the inevitable. Standing up in the middle of a convention and saying - Let me have the nomination even though people didn't vote for me to get it. Oh it looks good now - but the voters of America will have their say.

Worse for Clinton, the gambit, has cost her all credibility among not just African Americans but intellectual Americans. Those with higher educations are voting for Obama in droves. In addition, people are coming into the party just to make sure she doesn't win - people who would never vote for her even if she steals the nomination.

Unfortunately for Clinton, she was defeated by her own game plan. Her tactics early on have come back to bite her. Her waste of resources in an inane strategy to court less than 14 squares of a chess board that has 64 will forever be taught as stupidity 101.

Had she only asked a chessplayer they would have told her to win the game you have to control the center of the board. The fringe attacks look good for a while but the center is where the game is won or lost. You have to win delegates.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I used to open with my queen's pawn but I kept getting my ass kicked doing that so I don't anymore. There's probably a good way to play after P-Q4 but I don't know what it is.

Also, I like sacrificing bishops and knights for pawn position. I'll trade a bishop for two pawns.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

She should castle..........

Comment

I like knights better than bishops. Knights are sneaky, you can fork with a knight, and knights can be pretty effective when used together.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
          I used to open with my queen's pawn but I kept getting my ass kicked doing that so I don't anymore. There's probably a good way to play after P-Q4 but I don't know what it is.

Also, I like sacrificing bishops and knights for pawn position. I'll trade a bishop for two pawns.

http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/qord-app.htm

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Interesting take. I hope that the end result of this Novembers election can come down to how well any of the candidates ran their race. Unfortunatley I think that the Obama race thing is gaining momentum. Sad to say, but I can honestly see Obama not getting the nomination even if he has the majority of delegates. We have a few months to go before the democratic primary and thats umteen weeks of SNL skits and late night talk show host monologues that he will have to survive. Which I think has become a sad truth in this country, that the majority of americans choose to research their candidates by watching SNL or Letterman.

Comment

Originally posted by corey-south-city View Post
              Interesting take. I hope that the end result of this Novembers election can come down to how well any of the candidates ran their race. Unfortunatley I think that the Obama race thing is gaining momentum. Sad to say, but I can honestly see Obama not getting the nomination even if he has the majority of delegates. We have a few months to go before the democratic primary and thats umteen weeks of SNL skits and late night talk show host monologues that he will have to survive. Which I think has become a sad truth in this country, that the majority of americans choose to research their candidates by watching SNL or Letterman.

I can see your points.

I am optimistic for a couple of reasons. America showed it had changed with Obama getting this far. I think it continues.
              Hillary's campaign has given up everything that might have been remotely good - except win at all costs. I think, in the long run, America sees through this.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I always enjoyed queening pawns. A very satisfying way to win games. Get ahead in material, trade down until your opponent has nothing to beat you with, then march a pawn down and win.

Comment

Originally posted by mmwtdh View Post
                  She should castle..........

She can't - she's already employed her rooks.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

By the way, when and where did Hillary Clinton make a full-scale attack on Obama's pastor?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                      I can see your points.

I am optimistic for a couple of reasons. America showed it had changed with Obama getting this far. I think it continues.
                      Hillary's campaign has given up everything that might have been remotely good - except win at all costs. I think, in the long run, America sees through this.

I hope your right. I think that its going to get a lot more interesting as the primary grows closer, because I wouldnt put it past Clinton to make some type of a win-at-all-costs move.

Comment

Originally posted by corey-south-city View Post
                        I hope your right. I think that its going to get a lot more interesting as the primary grows closer, because I wouldnt put it past Clinton to make some type of a win-at-all-costs move.
                        She has three options -

Kill Obama or if someone else kills him.
                        Catch him in votes or delegates.
                        Steal the Election -

1 and 2 are pretty much off the table -

3 sets up anarchy in the country - and gives America it's second tainted presidential election in 8 years.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I think it's cute the way you guys think it matters who gets the Dem nod.

Obama or Clinton....can either of them carry a state that Kerry couldn't while running against one of the worst presidents in history?

That's all that matters. I thought Obama could, but now I doubt it. The racist preacher hurts him. The fact that he has never fulfilled his more meaningful duties in the Senate this past year [coupled with his scant two years of meaningful experience a priori] hurts him. The fact that he is very liberal hurts him, the realization that his talk of reaching across the aisle with this truth is an act of futility hurts him more.

Obama peaked too soon, and likely ran for the office too soon. We'll see him in the Oval office in 2013; i'm relatively sure of that, but for now it looks like the Dems are once again soiling the linen.
                          "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                            By the way, when and where did Hillary Clinton make a full-scale attack on Obama's pastor?
                            She was smart enough not too IIRC. The pastor was bound to come out, he11 Snopes pointed it out months ago, Billary just had to wait for the story to unfold.

I wonder how the primaries would have unfolded if this had come out in January. IMO Hillary wouldn't be looking up at Obama in the polls.
                            "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by blue zone View Post
                              I think it's cute the way you guys think it matters who gets the Dem nod.
                              I think it's cute the way Republicans think running a candidate who supports the most unpopular war in our history is a good idea.

She was smart enough not too IIRC.
                              Yeah, I'm looking forward to Schwa producing for us the Clinton speech where she rips Obama's pastor, or the Clinton attack ad featuring Obama's pastor.

Comment

Working...
                              X