White men of the Lounge, your thoughts, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White men of the Lounge, your thoughts, please

Today in Philadelphia, Senator Barack Obama talked a lot about race and politics WATCH, but when you look at the numbers, it may be white men who decide the fate of his campaign.

Neither Obama nor Senator Hillary Clinton have been able to secure the white man’s vote, a voting block now considered to be swing voters.

Turns out, working class white men make up nearly one quarter of the electorate, outnumbering African-American and Latino voters combined. In 27 states where exit polls were conducted, Clinton won the white male vote 11 times, Obama won it ten times. In five states, they basically split the votes of white men.

The allegiance of these guys, generally defined as union members making less than $50,000 a year, is clearly still up for grabs and the candidates know it.

In Philadelphia, the union members I talked to for my story on tonight’s 360°weren’t exactly shy about making their positions known.

Rick Czyzewski, a steel worker and member of Local 19 Sheetmetal Workers union here in Philadelphia, told me he’s voting for Clinton.

When I asked him what it will take for Obama to win the working class white man’s vote here, he said, “He’s gotta come out and talk to us and tell us what he wants to do with the economy. I don’t know if he said anything. All I hear is, change, change, what type of change does he got for us? I don’t know. Is he gonna tell us he wants more construction jobs.”

Here in Pennsylvania, working class male voters make up about 27 percent of the voters. Obama won the white man’s vote in Wisconsin and Virginia, but he badly lost working class white men to Clinton in Ohio and Texas just a couple of weeks ago. Did Race play a role? In Ohio, 27 percent of working class male voters said race did play a role in choosing Clinton.

Czyzewski said race doesn’t play a role for him, adding “I’m a union individual I’m thinking about what they can do for my union. I think the dems are split between Obama and Hillary and I think Hillary is a better union person than Obama is.”

I asked roofer Bob Merk, a Clinton supporter here in Philadelphia, what he thinks about the race factor. He told me, “I don’t think race is an issue at all… I don’t care if he’s black white or green, I would vote for him.” Merk told me Clinton has his vote unless Obama starts “standing up for the working man.” He says, “I’d want to hear a guarantee of jobs, that the price of gasoline is gonna come down, I want to hear about better schools for my kids.”

Some analysts have suggested Obama needs to talk more about his experience as a community organizer on Chicago’s South Side, where he worked with steelworkers and their families. Maybe even spend more time in VFW halls listening and relating to the working class voter. There’s talk within his campaign reportedly of working to show he is a bottom-up grass-roots person who has been about fighting for people who were squeezed out of jobs.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Do we really need another thread?

Seriously man, the other one is doing pretty well, and minus alot of the racial rhetoric and jokes than tend to get the other discords off course.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Personally, I don't think that Obamas race matters to any but the most stupid.....of course, I also believe that most people are quite stupid.
      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

some of those reasons are the same reasons my father hasnt been swayed by obama. he doesn't know what kind of change obama wants and the kind he does, he doesn't know how he plans on doing it (ex bringing the 2 parties together). he's def a democrat, but i wouldn't be shocked if his write in this year would be a "f you" to any candidate

but i will say, he like many other people i know, are tired of the "does his race matter" crap

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove View Post

Rick Czyzewski, a steel worker and member of Local 19 Sheetmetal Workers union here in Philadelphia, told me he’s voting for Clinton.

When I asked him what it will take for Obama to win the working class white man’s vote here, he said, “He’s gotta come out and talk to us and tell us what he wants to do with the economy. I don’t know if he said anything. All I hear is, change, change, what type of change does he got for us? I don’t know. Is he gonna tell us he wants more construction jobs.”

Czyzewski said race doesn’t play a role for him, adding “I’m a union individual I’m thinking about what they can do for my union. I think the dems are split between Obama and Hillary and I think Hillary is a better union person than Obama is.”

I asked roofer Bob Merk, a Clinton supporter here in Philadelphia, what he thinks about the race factor. He told me, “I don’t think race is an issue at all… I don’t care if he’s black white or green, I would vote for him.” Merk told me Clinton has his vote unless Obama starts “standing up for the working man.” .
          Unless they are talking about some sort of reforms Hillary caused Walmart to enact-----just wtf has Hillary ever done for the working man? She and Bill have a long history of corporate ass-kissing---but i doubt these guys are going to pay much attention to the soon to arrive information regarding the source of the Clinton's wealth.

It is more fun to say "I don't care what color he is--what will he do for the working man." Double standard---no one ever asks what will Hillary do. Is her record that clear?
          v

Comment

Originally posted by MsFunkay View Post
            some of those reasons are the same reasons my father hasnt been swayed by obama. he doesn't know what kind of change obama wants and the kind he does, he doesn't know how he plans on doing it (ex bringing the 2 parties together). he's def a democrat, but i wouldn't be shocked if his write in this year would be a "f you" to any candidate

but i will say, he like many other people i know, are tired of the "does his race matter" crap
            Your dad has reasoned - reasons.

I respect that.
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

CHICAGO — Tomorrow, Wednesday, March 19, 2008, five years after the Iraq war began, Sen. Barack Obama will deliver a major speech on the war in Iraq and our national security in Fayetteville, N.C. Sen. Obama will discuss how ending the war in Iraq is necessary for the United States to meet the national security challenges of the 21st century and to advance American interests throughout the world.

On Thursday, March 20, 2008, Sen. Barack Obama will deliver a major speech on Iraq and the economy in Charleston, W.Va., where he will address the costs of the war in Iraq on our economy.
              The whole point of dealing with the racial stuff was to be able to go on to other substantive issues.

He will cut the demographic margins as best he can---his speeches are generally pretty good.
              v

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                Your dad has reasoned - reasons.

I respect that.
                just keep in mind, a lot of people who go to vote have good reasons while many don't. many women have voted for politicians cause they're better looking or cause someone told them to. its def not just this year.

Comment

this is so wrong. SG clearly stated that this thread is for white men.
                  Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                    this is so wrong. SG clearly stated that this thread is for white men.
                    He's a racist - I'm just protesting.

He can't keep me out.
                    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                      He's a racist - I'm just protesting.

He can't keep me out.
                      He's a sexist too!
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I have never judged a person by the color of their skin, and I don't plan on starting to do so any time in the future.

Comment

If the dude would map out a plan to bring about all this wonderful 'change' then I may commit. Until then.......Pat Paulson in '08!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                            If the dude would map out a plan to bring about all this wonderful 'change' then I may commit. Until then.......Pat Paulson in '08!!!
                            He has laid out the plan. The plan is to ignore party identity and pursue policy based upon the legitimacy of the idea underlying the policy.
                            Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
                              I have never judged a person by the color of their skin, and I don't plan on starting to do so any time in the future.
                              I judge not by the content of their character, but by the smell of their cologne.

Comment

Working...
                              X