Mizzou LB arrested---suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizzou LB arrested---suspended

COLUMBIA, MO (AP) -- Missouri linebacker Marquis Booker was suspended Monday following his arrest in which police said he threatened to "light the place up" and grabbed a handgun from his car during a parking lot argument.

The 20-year-old sophomore backup was arrested early Sunday outside an apartment complex on suspicion of unlawfully using a weapon and an underage liquor law violation, police said. He was released from the Boone County Jail after posting a $4,800 bond.
    Advertisement

Booker cocked the gun but did not point it at anyone, according to police. He drove off with four others as officers arrived. Officers found a loaded 9-millimeter Ruger handgun under the front passenger seat. Booker said the gun was his.

Booker could not immediately be reached for comment Monday.

Also in the car, and not arrested, were: wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, an All-American as a freshman; junior linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, the team's leading tackler last season; a football recruit; and a female student.

Missouri finished the 2007 season with a 12-2 record and a No. 4 ranking in one of its most successful seasons. The Tigers began spring practice March 11.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...storyid=142347
    kk
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Shitty to see Maclin and Weatherspoon involved with this...but Booker needs to get kicked.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
      Shitty to see Maclin and Weatherspoon involved with this...but Booker needs to get kicked.
      I'm hoping that they didn't know the Booker clown had that weapon.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
        I'm hoping that they didn't know the Booker clown had that weapon.
        That would probably be worthless hope. I can't imagine a situation where I would be hanging out with a guy who pulls out and cocks a hand gun threatening to "light the place up" and I had no idea the guy was packing.

It would be refreshing for once if some students wanted to be good citizens rather than thugs. From what I understood Maclin was supposed to be one of the former. I guess that was wrong.
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Can't fault a black man for packing heat in Boone County.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
            That would probably be worthless hope. I can't imagine a situation where I would be hanging out with a guy who pulls out and cocks a hand gun threatening to "light the place up" and I had no idea the guy was packing.

It would be refreshing for once if some students wanted to be good citizens rather than thugs. From what I understood Maclin was supposed to be one of the former. I guess that was wrong.
            You know what other people keep under the front seat of their car? You do a search of every car you ever got a ride in while in college? Very thorough of you.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
              You know what other people keep under the front seat of their car? You do a search of every car you ever got a ride in while in college? Very thorough of you.

Moon
              I know the kind of people I hang out with and go to parties with.

This wasn't just a guy who happened to have a pistol in his car. This was a guy who decided it was acceptable behavior to take that pistol out of the car, cock the hammer, and waive it around threatening to "light the place up". That's hardly a behavioral trait that would catch someone by surprise.

Comment

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/...317News012.asp

MU player arrested on gun charge
                Sophomore linebacker suspended; Maclin and Weatherspoon queried.

By DEREK KRAVITZ of the Tribune’s staff
                Published Monday, March 17, 2008
                A University of Missouri football linebacker was arrested for allegedly pulling a handgun out of a car, and two other players were interviewed after an early morning argument yesterday near a south Columbia apartment.

Sophomore linebacker Marquis X. Booker, 20, of 3281 Old 63 S. was arrested early yesterday on suspicion of unlawful use of a weapon and an underage liquor law violation.

He was released hours later from the Boone County Jail on $4,800 bond.
                After his arrest, Booker was suspended indefinitely from the football team, team spokesman Chad Moller confirmed today.

Police were dispatched at about 3:50 a.m. yesterday to the Gateway of Columbia apartment complex at 3905 Buttonwood Drive in south Columbia.
                Several residents who were playing video games inside a third-floor apartment complained of loud yelling and shouting coming from outside, Capt. Stephen Monticelli said.

Witnesses reported seeing six black men yelling and arguing from a parking lot with several people on a second-floor balcony.

Monticelli said the argument quickly escalated, and Booker "threatened to light the place up," went to a car and retrieved a handgun.

Booker is accused of cocking the gun but did not point the weapon at any victims, Monticelli said. Booker and four others got into a car and drove off as police were arriving.

Officers followed the car and stopped the black 2007 Nissan Altima near Grindstone Parkway and Churchill Drive.

Inside the car, police found a loaded .9 mm Ruger under the front passenger seat, and Booker told officers that it was his gun. He appeared drunk at the time of his arrest, Monticelli said.

Sophomore All-America wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and junior linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, along with football recruit George R. White and Jessica Reaves, also were in the car, Monticelli said. They were interviewed but not arrested.

Monticelli said it was unclear who the driver was in the vehicle or what the argument was originally about. None of the people who were seen arguing with the suspect in the parking lot was located or interviewed by police.

Booker, a sophomore linebacker, appeared in one game last season as a redshirt freshman and was not credited with any tackles. He sat out his entire true freshman season in 2006 while recovering from a broken kneecap suffered shortly before he arrived for preseason camp.

This spring, Booker is listed as the No. 2 strong-side linebacker while the regular backup, senior Steve Redmond, recovers from a shoulder injury.

Tribune sports reporter Dave Matter contributed to this report.
                Four fotball players and a chick piling in a Altima in short order to avoid the pigs? Nice work there.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Bummer. Not the kind of news you want to hear after such an amazing season just a few mothes before...

How much damage does losing Booker cause to the Tigers?
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                    Bummer. Not the kind of news you want to hear after such an amazing season just a few mothes before...

Booker? Not too much. If Maclin and Spoon are in this deeper, it will hurt.
                    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Missouri returns all 3 of its starting LBs, though 1 of them sucked IMO.

Problem is Weatherspoon is one of them, and he's on his way to the NFL one day. Hopefully he and Maclin will be all right out of this.
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Gup,

Do you miss the ol' 'Hickman Hood'?
                        TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Sounds like Spoon and JMac need choose their friends more carefully. Both of them are future NFL caliber players and this kind of thing can cost them big time in draft position.

But, I'm going to go with giving them the benefit of the doubt this time as I've been out hanging with guys when I was around that age that I didn't know really well and they wound up doing things that I didn't think were even remotely cool.
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post

He's not a starter.
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Also, Booker was released from the team today. He gone!!

Maclin practiced and Spoon wasn't available due to an injury.
                              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                              --Suck it cubbies.
                              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X