Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lohse a Cardinal, 1 year 4.25 million...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lohse a Cardinal, 1 year 4.25 million...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

Now I look in the game thread and see it's in there. Delete this I guess...
    Last edited by SKIDOG; 03-13-2008, 04:32 PM.

You can't spell Lohse without "lose."
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Cheap bastards.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by SKIDOG View Post

Not everyone reads that. Thx for posting.
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
          You can't spell Lohse without "lose."
          Cards need Randy Winn.
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by SKIDOG View Post

I hope we never reach the point where people are deleting threads about the Cardinals acquiring players.

Should I feel good or bad about this move? Good, I guess. Somebody has to pitch. Still, meh.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
              I hope we never reach the point where people are deleting threads about the Cardinals acquiring players.

Should I feel good or bad about this move? Good, I guess. Somebody has to pitch. Still, meh.
              He's better than the alternatives. Contract isn't going to hurt you. Low-risk, moderate-reward.

You could make the argument that it's $4.5M wasted because Walter Johnson wouldn't get this team to the playoffs, but it's probably a bit early to make that call.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                He's better than the alternatives. Contract isn't going to hurt you. Low-risk, moderate-reward.

You could make the argument that it's $4.5M wasted because Walter Johnson wouldn't get this team to the playoffs, but it's probably a bit early to make that call.
                What's it to us if the Cardinals spend $4.5M on a pitcher for one year? I wouldn't care if it was $14.5M for one year.

Do care about the baseball side of the equation, though. He seems pretty mediocre, but mediocre is an improvement over garbage.

Comment

He really doesn't suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                    He really doesn't suck.
                    No, he doesn't suck. We learned about suck last year. See: Maroth, Mike.

Comment

What's it to us if the Cardinals spend $4.5M on a pitcher for one year? I wouldn't care if it was $14.5M for one year.

Do care about the baseball side of the equation, though. He seems pretty mediocre, but mediocre is an improvement over garbage.
                      Dunc can get him up to average!!
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post
                        Dunc can get him up to average!!
                        There's always the possibility of a Suppanesque surprise.

Comment

There's always the possibility of a Suppanesque surprise.
                          Better that than a Wellsesque failure.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Actually, Soup might be a good comparison for the potential of Lohse; in the early part of this decade when the Twins looked to have a formidable young pitching staff coming together with Joe Mays, Eric Milton, Santana, and Lohse joining Brad Radke, a lot of observers thought Kyle had the best "stuff" of any of the bunch save Santana. Lohse's problem was always that he--like Milton--was a flyball pitcher in parks that kill fly ball pitchers.

The bad news on Lohse might be the good news. He logged a lot of innings on a very young arm early in his career, and seemed to suffer from Jason Marquis disease, trying to pump a 92-mph fastball that never had much movement past hitters who sat on it and crushed it.

Over the last year or so having his career put in jeopardy after being dumped by the Twins, Lohse has showed some signs of figuring things out. Last year he was 9-6 vs. NL competition (0-6 in interleague play against the AL) with an ERA under 4.00. He'll eat innings.

The worst part is his inconsistency. When Lohse is on, you'll see a pitcher who resembles a Greg Maddux in his prime, making hitters guess, changing speeds, and forcing batters to hit his pitch. And then there are games where he just craps the bed, and you wonder wtf is happening out there.

In other words: we just got a 2003 version of Brett Tomko, but with maybe a little more going on between the ears. Lohse is more likeable and works harder than Tomko or Marquis ever did; you get the feeling Lohse *really* wants to get his wonderful stuff figured out and be consistent. Perhaps that's what makes him just as frustrating.

For the Cardinals? This is a very, very nice pickup. Lohse will slot into the second spot in the rotation, especially if Piniero's shoulder is toast. He'll give the team innings and let LaRussa and Duncan figure out what to do with the back of the rotation.
                            I like cheese.

Comment

A 2003 version of Brett Tomko? CG better get some limericks or haiku's or what ever she wrote ready...
                              Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Working...
                              X