Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Harry Potter movie in 2 parts

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...541260000.html

They're splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 movies. Part one in Nov 2010, Part two 6 months later.

smart move, and keeps the story from finalizing in all aspects alive for another half year
    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

The longest HP book was the shortest movie thus far. I was pissed.

Comment

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll change the ending.
      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
        Are young that hung up on chronic teen angst? The fifth book was ponderous, and I'm not just saying that because I like the word ponderous.
        "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

Comment

It must be tough for you to watch those movies, since Harry's parents are dead, and you are dead to your parents.

Moon

Comment

me too.....like an extra 15-20 minutes woulda killed them to add?
            Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

If they stay true to the book, at least one of the last 2 movies will be rated R.

Comment

Originally posted by blue zone View Post
                Are young that hung up on chronic teen angst? The fifth book was ponderous, and I'm not just saying that because I like the word ponderous.
                Oh, the book badly needed to be edited. Hell, I'm not sure why Grawp exists to this day. But there were some very clunky scenes - the rescue from Privet Drive, the mustering of the Order at Grimmauld Place, the Flight of Dumbledore - that length would've helped.

None of that, though, compares to how pissed I was at the butchering of everything in the Shrieking Shack in Azkaban. My favorite scene in any of the books and...blech.

Comment

None of that, though, compares to how pissed I was at the butchering of everything in the Shrieking Shack in Azkaban. My favorite scene in any of the books and...blech.
                  Yeah, but parsing down that scene made the scene flow better and eliminated the truly idiot plot moment for Lupin. To stand around and talk about his youth as a werewolf for thirty minutes and conveniently forget that he's about to turn into one is a stretch.

As for me...I hate the idea of splitting DH. There is a lot of fat in that book (the whole ministry excursion is essentially pointless...put the locket in Harry's pocket at the end of HBP and save yourself 30 minutes of screentime b/c plotwise there is nothing else important that happens b/c of Kreacher's Tale or the Ministry trip. I agree the muggleborn stuff works as theme, but they could find another way to get that in.)

I also wish they were bringing Cuaron back, but I guess they like Yates.

Comment

Not sure about this, but at least they should not cut too much out i guess. And i disagree that the ministry part was useless, it showed how pervasive Voldemort's agenda had become. People were willingly following it because of their prejudices. That is important

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by MWBMIS View Post
                      Yeah, but parsing down that scene made the scene flow better and eliminated the truly idiot plot moment for Lupin. To stand around and talk about his youth as a werewolf for thirty minutes and conveniently forget that he's about to turn into one is a stretch.

As for me...I hate the idea of splitting DH. There is a lot of fat in that book (the whole ministry excursion is essentially pointless...put the locket in Harry's pocket at the end of HBP and save yourself 30 minutes of screentime b/c plotwise there is nothing else important that happens b/c of Kreacher's Tale or the Ministry trip. I agree the muggleborn stuff works as theme, but they could find another way to get that in.)

I also wish they were bringing Cuaron back, but I guess they like Yates.
                      Not nearly as much of a stretch as no one thinking to, you know, stun or otherwise disable Pettigrew, but I suppose if that happened there's no more books.

The problem that they're going to run into in DH is the lack of things the movies have set up. It's awfully hard to interrogate Mundungus, given that he doesn't yet exist in the movie universe. It's going to be awkward when Kreacher shows up in HBP because OOTP didn't explain really who he was. Umbridge and the Muggle-Borns makes less sense given that her xenophobia was largely cut from the character.

But, oh well. It'll all work out.

...as long as they can fix that nonsensical scene in DH involving the Fidelius Charm on Shell Cottage and Muriel's. That makes NO sense.

Comment

The last 3 books can't really be explained from what i understand unless you truly believe being a wizard makes you an idiot.

Matrem tuam pedicavi

Comment

Not nearly as much of a stretch as no one thinking to, you know, stun or otherwise disable Pettigrew, but I suppose if that happened there's no more books.

The problem that they're going to run into in DH is the lack of things the movies have set up. It's awfully hard to interrogate Mundungus, given that he doesn't yet exist in the movie universe. It's going to be awkward when Kreacher shows up in HBP because OOTP didn't explain really who he was. Umbridge and the Muggle-Borns makes less sense given that her xenophobia was largely cut from the character.

But, oh well. It'll all work out.

...as long as they can fix that nonsensical scene in DH involving the Fidelius Charm on Shell Cottage and Muriel's. That makes NO sense.
                          Well, the disabling Wormtail wasn't in the book either so that wasn't the movie's fault. Honestly, I think PoA is easily the best of the films.

If they HAVE to do the whole locket crap then Dung isn't really needed. Have Umbridge show up in a picture in the Daily Prophet wearing it. You can't really set up minor characters in prior movies. In 2010 no one but diehard Harry Potter fans are going to really remember Umbridge all that well anyway (as proof a lot of movie fans did not who Lupin was in OOTP b/c they never reintroduced him...in reviews Ginny was referred to as the red haired girl...no one remembers her from CoS). If they use her in DH they'll have to make her repulsive from scratch.

One of the real tricks for DH will be what to do with Dobby. He won't have been onscreen since 2002 so no one but diehards will remember him so he just can't pop up when they need him at Malfoy Manor. Plus, in CoS he was like Jar Jar Binks. No one liked him (and that's one of the major reasons house elves haven't really appeared in subsequent movies). To my mind that death was the most emotional in the DH book. They'll have to reintroduce him early in a likeable way (with Dobby promising loyalty or something) and then have Harry flashback to that scene at Malfoy Manor. I've actually seen suggestions to combine Dobby and Kreacher into one character.

I don't think the Fidelius matters to the movie. I wouldn't even mention it. I would however make Shell Cottage the home of Lupin and Tonks in order to try to give more weight to their death at the end.

Comment

Oh, no, I agree about POA being the best of the films and I know it wasn't in the book. Just commenting on the plot hole in general. Same with the bit about the Fidelius Charm. Dobby is certainly a concern, though I suppose they can escape from Malfoy Manner without him. I'm not sure how, but it could happen. People would probably be furious, though, and rightly so.

The treatment of Tonks and Lupin in DH is my biggest complaint about the book.

Comment

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X