JuanGone is hurt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JuanGone is hurt...

Per The GOOLD.....after he played that full game in the outfield, I think I said the over/under on him getting hurt was a week. Should have taken the under.

Where did you go, Juan Gone?
    By Derrick Goold
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/13/2008

WHAT TO WATCH — MARCH 13

JUPITER, Fla. – As much as his presence was headline news around baseball early in spring training, his absence from the lineup is just as noteworthy.

Juan … Where has he Gone?

Juan Gonzalez, the two-time MVP and non-roster invitee, saw the field for the first time Monday against Atlanta, and he has not been seen in the lineup since. He was a late scratch Wednesday, and on Thursday the team confirmed that he’s dealing with a mild abdominal strain. Team trainer Barry Weinberg stressed that it’s a mild strain and that he removed Gonzalez from the lineup Wednesday.

But Gonzalez’s physical condition is as much a part of his attempt to return to the majors as anything he does at the plate.

He has not made a start since playing 8 1/2 innings in right field Monday, and he is not listed on today’s lineup card because of the strain. The bench loaded up like it’s ready for a regular-season game, and Gonzalez injury keeps him from being used like he would in the regular-season, as a pinch hitter. For context: Brian Barton, Ryan Ludwick and Colby Rasmus are listed.

Manager Tony La Russa has recently made the point that the competition for the open spots in the outfield took off early, and Gonzalez is left to find playing time when he can even as the opportunity dwindles. He spent the first third of March playing exclusively as designated hitter, a role no longer available in National League games, like today’s against the New York Mets.

Gonzalez is trying to make a team without playing much for said team.
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

What a shocker. In other news, gas prices are rising, the weather is unpredictable, and Anthony Reyes sucks.
    RIP Dave

Comment

And Barton can make the team!
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
        And Barton can make the team!
        I like how you think CG.
        Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

I'm happy with this development.
          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Well, I'll take it. Probably locks in Mather's spot for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
              Well, I'll take it. Probably locks in Mather's spot for sure.
              I didn't think much of Mather coming in, but he seems to continue to develop. I would LOVE to see both him and Barton make the roster. Prob gonna depend on if they take 11 or 12 pitchers though.
              Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                I didn't think much of Mather coming in, but he seems to continue to develop. I would LOVE to see both him and Barton make the roster. Prob gonna depend on if they take 11 or 12 pitchers though.
                11 or 12 even a question?

If Mather can play some first along with outfield, Tony definitely wants a HR threat off the bench. This further explains Mo's comment yesterday in his chat about Barton's future being a more important consideration than Juan's past. One way or another, Mather will get some ML time this year
                Sketch in STL
                Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Originally posted by sketch View Post
                  11 or 12 even a question?
                  I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were considering 11 pitchers...but I don't remember where. With this staff, I'd be shocked if it happens.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

I didn't think much of Mather coming in
                    Heresy! May you be slapped across the face with a glove.

-RBB

Comment

Mather will be in AAA if he doesn't show the chops to be a starter.
                      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were considering 11 pitchers...but I don't remember where. With this staff, I'd be shocked if it happens.

What's the difference between 11 turds and 12 turds?
                        RIP Dave

Comment

So much for that experiment. Agree that this along with the departure of Spiezio probably clinches Barton's spot on the team.
                          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                            So much for that experiment. Agree that this along with the departure of Spiezio probably clinches Barton's spot on the team.
                            good
                            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                              good
                              Oh, I'm not complaining. Think the question with Juan was whether or not he could play the field without breaking down. Looks like the question was answered in the negative.
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X