Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Republicans - We, the bitching and unorganized Dems, Just won one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Republicans - We, the bitching and unorganized Dems, Just won one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...0wHac&refer=us

Illinois Democrat Foster Is Winner of House Seat Hastert Quit

By Laura Litvan
    March 8 (Bloomberg) -- Democrat Bill Foster won a special election for the U.S. House seat that Illinois Republican Dennis Hastert quit last year, giving Democrats an early, upset victory in their election-year bid to expand their majority.
    With 99 percent of the ballot counted, Foster, a scientist and business owner, had 52.5 percent of the vote to Republican Jim Oberweis's 47.5 percent and was declared the winner by the Associated Press based on unofficial results tabulated by the wire service.
    Democrats said the result was a ``shock wave'' in advance of elections in November that will decide control of the White House, the House of Representatives and Senate.
    ``Bill Foster's victory in the seat that was held by Speaker Hastert sends a political shock wave across America this election year,'' said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. ``It is a stunning rejection of the Bush administration, its Republican allies, and presidential nominee John McCain.''
    The victory, in a district held by Republicans for more than 30 years, will boost Democratic hopes that the party is poised to win more seats in the November elections and gain firmer control of the U.S. House.
    The vote also may demonstrate the ability of presidential contender Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, to aid congressional candidates. Obama appeared in a campaign commercial for Foster, calling him another Illinois Democrat who can ``deliver change.''
    Foster, a former physicist at an Energy Department laboratory, also was endorsed by the Chicago Tribune.
    Increasingly Competitive
    Presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain held a fundraiser for Oberweis, a dairy owner, last month in Aurora, Illinois.
    The vote may signal that the district, which stretches from the Chicago suburbs almost to the Mississippi River, became increasingly competitive during Hastert's almost 11 terms in office. The 60 percent of the vote that Hastert received in 2006 was his lowest winning margin since 1986.
    President George W. Bush carried the district with 55 percent of the vote in 2004.
    Hastert, the longest-serving Republican House speaker in history, left his leadership post in the wake of the 2006 elections when Democrats won majorities in both the House and Senate. In November he resigned his seat in Congress.
    Foster will complete the two-year term Hastert was elected to in November 2006. The seat will again be on the ballot this November.
    Republican Debts
    The former speaker's decision to resign rather than serve the remainder of his term was costly for House Republicans, who are deeply in debt after 2006 elections that cost them their majority. The National Republican Congressional Committee spent about $1.2 million defending the seat, according to reports filed with the Federal Election Committee. The rival Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spent about $1 million working to gain the district, FEC reports show.
    Republicans face a challenging election year in Congress. So far, 29 House Republicans have resigned, announced they won't seek re-election or lost a primary race, with close to half of those seats rated competitive by the nonpartisan Cook Political Report. Democrats are defending just seven open seats so far this year.
    With the addition of Foster, Democrats have 232 seats in the House, while Republicans have 198. There are five vacancies.
    To contact the reporter on this story: Laura Litvan in Washington at [email protected];
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Nice win, kind of a big deal "they" say.

Yup, owner of the Oberweis Dairy. I'm glad he lost or I would have to no longer shop there.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

So now Oberweis has lost his bids for Senate, Governor and House...maybe he'll quit running for public office now.

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
        So now Oberweis has lost his bids for Senate, Governor and House...maybe he'll quit running for public office now.
        Not so fast. This election was just the special election to fill Hastert's seat until November.

In November, they will be doing it all over again.

In any event, it is an interesting event for Obama in that he can claim a number of things -

1. First, he got out and campaigned for Foster
        2. Second, his support helped put Foster over in a heavily Republican district
        3. He picked up another superdelegate

So certainly Obama is going to get out there and say to the people running for Congress, not only will I work for you, but you will win. Furthermore, I am not just going to run in 10 states and hope to work the margins.
        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
          Not so fast. This election was just the special election to fill Hastert's seat until November.

In November, they will be doing it all over again.

In any event, it is an interesting event for Obama in that he can claim a number of things -

1. First, he got out and campaigned for Foster
          2. Second, his support helped put Foster over in a heavily Republican district
          3. He picked up another superdelegate

So certainly Obama is going to get out there and say to the people running for Congress, not only will I work for you, but you will win. Furthermore, I am not just going to run in 10 states and hope to work the margins.
          Ok, I didn't realize that....so Oberweis could be on the ballot again in November?

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
            Ok, I didn't realize that....so Oberweis could be on the ballot again in November?
            He's already on.

They are doing the same election in November.
            From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
              He's already on.

They are doing the same election in November.
              Odd....

I like Oberweis but just think once you have lost that many times, maybe it's time to let someone else run

Comment

As I said in another thread, Obama can claim a bunch of positives out of this election.

Oberweis is a horrible candidate. He is a rich white guy that somehow believes because he has money he can use elective office as his play thing. He is not the type of candidate that we need in the House.
                Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome..... The only way to live.

Comment

It's not like it's a mystery how the Congressional elections this fall will turn out. The only uncertainty is just how many more seats the Democrats will win.
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                    It's not like it's a mystery how the Congressional elections this fall will turn out. The only uncertainty is just how many more seats the Democrats will win.
                    Don't get too cocky, my side of the aisle did and we got the minority. I think I would bet on a Democrat majority but not bet the house.
                    Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome..... The only way to live.

Comment

I take it this guy is safe? Not counting on coattails of McCain to win again.

Obama Scoffs at Rep. King’s Remarks

Susan Davis reports on the presidential race.
                      Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama today brushed off a series of controversial remarks made by Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King last week suggesting that an Obama White House victory would be celebrated by terrorists.
                      “I think that Mr. King has it backwards. The fact that the continuation of a presence in Iraq as Sen. McCain has suggested is exactly what, I think, will fan the flames of anti-American sentiment and make it more difficult for us to create a long-term and sustainable peace in the world,” Obama said today at a campaign stop at The Little Dooey, a barbeque restaurant in Columbus, Miss.
                      “But I have to say that Mr. King and individuals like him thrive on offensive or controversial statements as a way to get in the papers, so I don’t take it too seriously. I would hope Sen. McCain would want to distance himself from that kind of inflammatory and offensive remarks.”
                      On a media tour last Friday in his home state to announce his bid for a fourth House term, King said he viewed Obama as a detriment to U.S. interests because of his opposition to the war in Iraq and because of his heritage.
                      “I will tell you that, if he is elected president, then the radical Islamists, the al-Qaeda, the radical Islamists and their supporters, will be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on September 11 because they will declare victory in this War on Terror,” King said, according to local media reports.
                      King also believes Obama’s middle name, Hussein, would be encouraging for terrorists. “Additionally, his middle name does matter,” King said. “It matters because they read a meaning into that in the rest of the world. That has a special meaning to them. They will be dancing in the streets because of his middle name.”
                      King originally supported failed presidential candidate Fred Thompson, but said he would back Sen. John McCain, if only because of the Democratic alternatives.
                      McCain has disassociated himself from such views, as he did last month at a campaign stop when conservative talk-show host Bill Cunningham repeatedly used Obama’s middle name in his introduction.
                      For his part, King has shown no indication of backing down. If “we elect Obama to the presidency and he declares defeat, if they don’t dance in the streets, I will come and apologize to you and everybody in America. But I’m saying, ‘I’m right,’” King told Fox News on Saturday.
                      v

Comment

Working...
                      X