***GDT Blues @ Canucks 9:00 PM CST - KPLR 11***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***GDT Blues @ Canucks 9:00 PM CST - KPLR 11***

After matching a season high in goals, the Vancouver Canucks hope to withstand two more potential defensive absences against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday in an effort to regain a share of the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

The Canucks (33-24-10) got a short-handed goal from Alex Burrows 37 seconds into the first period Thursday before five others scored in a 6-2 win over Nashville. The season high-tying production came after Vancouver totaled six goals in going 0-2-2.

"We started with a lot of urgency, and urgency was warranted and needed," Canucks coach Alain Vigneault told the team's official Web site. "It was a very important game for us and our guys did what they've done throughout the year: they got ready to play hard."

The victory moved the Canucks into a tie with the Predators for eighth place in the West on 76 points, but Nashville moved ahead Friday with a 2-1 overtime victory at Calgary, tying Colorado for seventh with 78 points. The Predators are idle Saturday, while Colorado hosts Pacific Division-leading Dallas.

Vancouver will try to pull even with at least Nashville, but will likely have to do it without defensemen Mattias Ohlund, Aaron Miller and Kevin Bieksa.
    Ohlund, who leads all Canucks blueliners with 22 points, missed Thursday's win and is expected to be out at least four-to-six days with bone chips in his left knee, which could require season-ending surgery.

Miller was leveled by Jordin Tootoo with 1:32 to play and went right to the locker room with an apparent shoulder injury. His status is still uncertain, but the incident triggered a fight in which Bieksa received an instigator penalty for scrapping with Vernon Fiddler.

Bieksa's penalty carries an automatic, but reviewable, one-game suspension.

The potential absences could add more pressure on Roberto Luongo, who made 21 saves against Nashville. The goaltender is 1-2-2 with a 2.66 goals-against average in his last five starts, but he is 3-0-2 with a 1.97 GAA in his last five at home.

Luongo has won three consecutive meetings against the Blues (29-28-10) at GM Place, posting a 1.93 GAA.

Daniel Sedin is looking to build on a three-assist performance that ended a four-game pointless stretch. The left wing, though, hasn't had a goal in a season-high seven consecutive games. Despite that slump, he still leads Vancouver with 26 goals and is tied with twin brother Henrik with a team-high 65 points.

Daniel Sedin has three goals and seven assists in the eight previous games against St. Louis, including a goal and three assists in the last two - both victories.

The Blues, who are 13th in the conference and fading from the playoff race, are looking to rebound from a 4-1 loss at NHL-leading Detroit on Wednesday, which opened their franchise-record, nine-game road trip. The defeat came one night after a 3-2 victory over conference-worst Los Angeles - their only win in the last eight games (1-6-1).

St. Louis has been outscored 22-8 in the eight games, being held to one goal or less in each of the seven defeats.

Brad Boyes - the Blues' leader with 32 goals - had only one shot Wednesday and has just one assist the last eight games, an assist against the Kings.

The right wing, though, has two goals and two assists in the three season matchups with Vancouver.

Manny Legace is also struggling during the eight-game stretch, posting a 2.70 GAA after going 4-0-1 with a 1.40 GAA in his previous five.

The netminder has a 3.44 GAA during a personal four-game losing streak at Vancouver.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

SEASON SERIES

GAME WINNERS

DATE SCORE GOALIE SCORER
    01/23/2008 3 - 2 R. Luongo D. Sedin
    01/13/2008 4 - 3 R. Luongo A. Edler
    11/23/2007 3 - 1 H. Toivonen E. Johnson

DATE 1st STAR RECAP
    01/23/2008 MATTIAS OHLUND Recap
    01/13/2008 DANIEL SEDIN Recap
    11/23/2007 HANNU TOIVONEN Recap
    RECENT GAMES
    DATE RESULT DATE RESULT
    03/05/2008 STL 1 @ DET 4
    03/04/2008 LAK 2 @ STL 3
    03/01/2008 SJS 2 @ STL 0
    02/28/2008 PHX 2 @ STL 1
    02/26/2008 DAL 3 @ STL 1
    03/06/2008 NSH 2 @ VAN 6
    03/04/2008 VAN 1 @ COL 2
    03/02/2008 VAN 1 @ CHI 4
    02/29/2008 CBJ 3 @ VAN 2
    02/27/2008 COL 3 @ VAN 2
    UPCOMING GAMES
    DATE DATE
    03/08/2008 STL @ VAN
    03/10/2008 STL @ CGY
    03/11/2008 STL @ EDM
    03/14/2008 STL @ SJS
    03/15/2008 STL @ ANA
    03/08/2008 STL @ VAN
    03/10/2008 VAN @ LAK
    03/12/2008 VAN @ ANA
    03/13/2008 VAN @ PHX
    03/15/2008 VAN @ DAL

TEAM COMPARISON
    2007-2008 Team Stats
    68 Points: 76
    29 Wins: 33
    4 Shutouts: 6
    29 Power Play Rank: 14
    7 Penalty Kill Rank: 12
    .778 Win % When Leading After 1: .762
    .818 Win % When Leading After 2: .960
    .316 Win % When Trailing After 1: .136
    .111 Win % When Trailing After 2: .080

TEAM LEADERS

GOALS: 32 B. Boyes
    26 D. Sedin
    ASSISTS: 37 P. Kariya
    53 H. Sedin
    65 D. Sedin
    +/-: 12 D. Perron
    14 H. Sedin
    OT GOALS: 0 P. Kariya
    2 D. Sedin

Comment

Aaaaand Brewer, McKee and Johnson are all in the penalty box. The return of Captain Crosscheck!

Comment

Well, 1-1 after 1. Ohlund for them, Boyes for us.

Comment

We could have done a much better job giving up goals during the multiple 5-on-3s.
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

How was that not a penalty at the blueline?

Comment

We suck

Comment

Jackman has played a helluva game.

Comment

L

Comment

God, I hate the last minute loss in a west coast game, and now I'm going to lose an hour to boot.
                    From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Blues are now back to the .500 mark... 9 points ahead of L.A. for worst record in the league with only Tampa standing between us.

Atlanta 69
                      Blues 68
                      Tampa 60
                      LA 59
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
                        God, I hate the last minute loss in a west coast game, and now I'm going to lose an hour to boot.
                        It is Sunday, sleep in...

Comment

No way do we finsih worse than this.

3rd or bust.
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained View Post
                            It is Sunday, sleep in...
                            I can't. My 7 year old plays back-to-back soccer games against two different U-10 teams, all by 10 am.
                            From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
                              I can't. My 7 year old plays back-to-back soccer games against two different U-10 teams, all by 10 am.
                              Sorry, I will be in bed.

Comment

Working...
                              X